The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

interesting damage question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> interesting damage question Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true: I have not read the books so have no idea what you're trying to do other than via your descriptions. WishI could help more, but mybe I just don't know enough about whaat you're referencing to offer anything helpful.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Its true: I have not read the books so have no idea what you're trying to do other than via your descriptions. WishI could help more, but mybe I just don't know enough about whaat you're referencing to offer anything helpful.

I hope this helps. It is a description of the guns I've taken from a few excerpts from the books describing how the guns work.

The guns/rifles in question are the M-300 grav rifles. Each rifle is fully automatic and fires 3mm droplets of carbon coated depleted uranium pellets at a noticable fraction of the speed of light.

The rifle ammunition uses a dollop of antimatter as its propellant charge. Under normal use a small energy field, similar in design to the personal protection field, would reach out and shatter the miniature stabilization field that prevented the antimatter from contacting regular matter. Another field held the antimatter away from the breech of the weapon so that it only contacted the depleted uranium teardrop. When the antimatter touched the uranium, the two types of matter were instantly converted into a massive outpouring of energy. This energy was captured in a very efficient manner and used to accelerate the uranium round down the barrel of the grav-gun.
In addition, because of the relativistic speed of the rounds, when they hit a solid object they converted most of their kinetic energy into a racking explosion.

The standard suits carried hundreds of thousands of the depleted uranium teardrops but the grav-guns fire nearly five hundred rounds a second.

Rounds that do not strike anything in their path leave the planet's orbit to become spatial navigation hazards.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't even see these weapons being legal at all in the Star Wars universe due to the danger to spatial navigation missed rounds would cause. I also could see a galactic ban on the production and sale of such weapons under the empire or even the old or new republic.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
I honestly don't even see these weapons being legal at all in the Star Wars universe due to the danger to spatial navigation missed rounds would cause. I also could see a galactic ban on the production and sale of such weapons under the empire or even the old or new republic.

The weapons would need serious toning down in the SW universe. In their own universe massed fire could theoretically take down a capital ship.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave high tech rail guns +1D for damage and called it good. But I also double armour's effectiveness against kinetic weapons, so it basically just cancels the armour bonus.

IRL kinetic energy transfer equels velocity squared times mass, but only up to a certain pont whereupon the rest of the energy just blows through without effecting the target. So higher speeds equel higher penetration, not higher damage after a certain point. A rail gun firing 12% of the speed of light might penetrate through an AT-AT, but would still only do rifle damage to the AT-AT and people inside.

That's my best guess, anyways. Kinda hard to tell before we can actually test such a device. Assuming a society can produce such energy in a man portable unit, can they also produce a projectile capable of withstanding rhe shock/heat this projectile would experience as it travels through the air? I dunno.

Supersonic rounds? We have them now. Hypersonic rounds? I don't see why not. 12% Lightspeed rounds? It's your universe. Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: