The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Under-Barrel Weapon Options
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Under-Barrel Weapon Options Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Under-Barrel Weapon Options Reply with quote

I'm looking to write up some stats for under-barrel attachments for blaster rifles, but first I'd like to get some suggestions as to different possibilities. Based on what I've seen in various sources, here is a partial list:
    Grenade Launcher
    Deck-Sweeper Blaster
    Foregrip Attachment (added stability)
    Flamethrower
    Sensor Pod / Targeting Designator
It's late, and that's what I've got. Suggestions?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the basic attachments currently in use (other than flamethrower) with the exception of a flashlight-type device.

I would suggest splitting sensor pod and targeting designator (assuming you mean a designator as something akin to a laser sight). Sensor pod might also be broken down to various kinds of sensors (such as audio, video, variant spectra)

Additional ideas that occur to me:

A stunner device/web launcher, maybe a riot shield type attachment (fits around the barrel-locking in place).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibro bayonette, shotgun attachment.. Those are the only 2 others i can think of.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grappling hook launcher (we saw that on a freakin' pistol, after all)

Railgun (magnacaster whatever its name was)

Bipod

Tripod

Lightsaber bayonette

Repulsorlift-and-microfusion generator attachment? (For almost infinite power, except for blaster gas?)

Droid heavy grasper arm (instead of a bipod / tripod; it is a "smart" arm that grabs hold of something reasonably big to control recoil) Could also combine this with a simple setting to "shake" the arm and fire at random intervals, in essence sacrificing the rifle for covering fire.

Holocam / guncam

Heavy fusion cutter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
I would suggest splitting sensor pod and targeting designator (assuming you mean a designator as something akin to a laser sight). Sensor pod might also be broken down to various kinds of sensors (such as audio, video, variant spectra)

I prefer not to get into specifics, as we have no idea what kinds of sensors may be available in a galaxy far, far away. Even more, it is far simpler on characters to simply have a single sensor pod, rather than having to guess in advance which one would be the most useful prior to the mission.

Mostly, I see this as an under-barrel attachment for scout / pathfinder types, possibly even integrated with their rifle scope to provide enhanced sensing and targeting capabilities.

Quote:
A stunner device/web launcher, maybe a riot shield type attachment (fits around the barrel-locking in place).

If you are referring to a projectile-based stunner, then I would be more likely to make stats for that so it can be fired from the grenade launcher. A one-off net launcher, ala the net guns used in Chronicles of Riddick does have possibilities, though.
A riot shield is best used up close to the body, where you can generate more leverage to keep it from being pushed aside. I see combat shields more like the ballistic shields used by SWAT Teams, where the lead officer holds the shield on one arm and carries a pistol with the opposite hand.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Vibro bayonet

I actually picture a bayonet being mounted in a retractable housing between the over-under, so that it sticks out between the barrels. It could be either a vibro-bayonet or a shock rod...
Quote:
shotgun attachment.

For this, I'm thinking of using my Bolter stats from the Warhammer Tech topic. I'm also considering folding the Micro-Grenade Launcher from GG10 into the Bolter, as well.

JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I prefer not to get into specifics, as we have no idea what kinds of sensors may be available in a galaxy far, far away. Even more, it is far simpler on characters to simply have a single sensor pod, rather than having to guess in advance which one would be the most useful prior to the mission.

Mostly, I see this as an under-barrel attachment for scout / pathfinder types, possibly even integrated with their rifle scope to provide enhanced sensing and targeting capabilities.

I suggested splitting them primarily because in the spec force book there's different handheld devices for each type. It's not a stretch to see those converted into a weapon-mounted device.

Quote:
A one-off net launcher, ala the net guns used in Chronicles of Riddick does have possibilities, though.
A riot shield is best used up close to the body, where you can generate more leverage to keep it from being pushed aside. I see combat shields more like the ballistic shields used by SWAT Teams, where the lead officer holds the shield on one arm and carries a pistol with the opposite hand.

I was thinking a net or entrapping line, maybe equipped with a shock feature. As for a riot shield, Swat teams routinely use them but it (typically) takes 2 in front holding a shield to protect a 3rd man shooting. It's (based on the stories from the father of a girl I dated who was swat) a weight-thing. Given the energy-type shields we saw in TPM used by Gungans, incorporating way to shoot through it (on a shield similar to a pavise perhaps) doesn't seem too far out there.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally in gry's equipment complete guide, there are a lot of hand held sensors in there, that could be converted to an under barrel attachment.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An underbarrel particle beam weapon ignores polymer/ceramic armour.
A concussion gun ignores any armour that isn't sealed or has specific concussion protection (like a concussion helmet).
A railgun has terrific damage, but lacks rate of fire and has big recoil.
Firearms can have tremendous range capability over blasters.
A good ol' shotgun is good for big aliens that jump out at you.
A sonic weapon also has good specific qualities that help in combat.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Grappling hook launcher (we saw that on a freakin' pistol, after all)

Heavy fusion cutter
My only hesitation here is that both attachments require leaving your primary weapon pointed in one direction for an extended period of time. If it were me, I'd rather have these units available as separate devices, such as the stand-alone unit Luke used in ESB.

Quote:

Good one, allowing shooters to make silenced shots without changing weapons. In one of the Splinter Cell games, they had the option of a sniper under-barrel attachment, but it was loud as hell.

Quote:
Bipod
Tripod

I don't really see these being all that useful for an under-barrel on a standard rifle. A repeater or sniping weapon, maybe.

Quote:
Lightsaber bayonet

Nah, I like the lightsaber being ultra-rare / exclusive to Force users.

Quote:
Repulsorlift-and-microfusion generator attachment? (For almost infinite power, except for blaster gas?)

There is some precedence in the EU for man-portable power generators are in backpack form, so I'm thinking that a generator small enough to fit in an underbarrel attachment would not generate enough power to be practical.

Now, I can see a repulsor or mini-tractor beam projector for riot control or similar purposes. I have also seen similar devices used in other universes as counter-recoil devices for heavy weapons and such.

Quote:
Droid heavy grasper arm (instead of a bipod / tripod; it is a "smart" arm that grabs hold of something reasonably big to control recoil) Could also combine this with a simple setting to "shake" the arm and fire at random intervals, in essence sacrificing the rifle for covering fire.

Now this I like, as a high-tech replacement for the mundane bipods and tripods (we've had those practically since we've had guns). However, as with the above, I see it more as an attachment for repeaters or other heavy weapons.

Quote:
Holocam / guncam

I can see these more being attached to the scope, or as side-barrel attachments, along with tactical lights and such.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a small personal shield generator that flickers off when the main weapon is fired. A bring your own cover type of thing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
What about a small personal shield generator that flickers off when the main weapon is fired. A bring your own cover type of thing.

At most i could see something like that giving 25% cover..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually envisioning something along those lines; I was seeing the personal portable shields the Gungans used in Episode 1. A weapon like that ought to have the under-barrel attachment synched to the primary weapon, something akin to the way a WWI or WWII fighter had the front-facing machine gun synched so it fired in between the front propeller; the shield would actually flicker enough to allow the user to fire through it, but the flicker would be brief enough to continue to provide at least a modicum of protection to the user.

I personally like the idea of a number of different types of rounds machined to be fired from an under-barrel grenade launcher; we have that available in the real world, and even though the tech levels are far advanced in Star Wars in many ways, but seemingly behind in others, this is an area that is simple enough to be easily feasible in ANY SW universe. You can have fragmentation, high explosive, gases of different kinds, ionizing round, possibly even thermal detonator rounds. I know I'm leaving out possibilities here, but right now I'm just brainstorming.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Good one, allowing shooters to make silenced shots without changing weapons. In one of the Splinter Cell games, they had the option of a sniper under-barrel attachment, but it was loud as hell.

I don't think a rail gun would allow for silent shots, unless the projectile was only accelerated to sub-sonic level.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I don't think a rail gun would allow for silent shots, unless the projectile was only accelerated to sub-sonic level.

I agree, also in order for it to be functionally powered (railguns use a LOT of power to accelerate not a lot of mass), it would need to function somewhat like the weapons in Mass Effect (ie. greatly reducing damage over distance).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: