The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battletech Crossover Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Battletech Crossover Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basing off MWO, not battletech, apologies. In MWO, you can fire without lock, but you forgo any tracking ability of the volley. Also fun to note, in the comp game LRMs have a minimum distance necessary to do damage. Inner Sphere needs 180m before the warhead goes live, Clan tech is instant on, but does decimals of damage before 180m.

Do you intend to try working out a damage grid for targeting of limbs,etc..or are you going to keep with rthe simpler soak and damage scale of d6?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I think you misunderstood me.
Say i hit you with an LRM-20 (all missiles fired). I roll to see how many hit, but then deal THAT out in brackets of 5 for damage.
SRMs though even though i still roll to see how many missiles hit, roll each HIT individually. THAT is the difference i was trying to point out.

No, I understood you just fine; I just don't feel the need to include it when D6 already has a damage randomization system (rolling dice for damage), plus the Coordination rules for adding dice to damage or accuracy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
I'm basing off MWO, not battletech, apologies. In MWO, you can fire without lock, but you forgo any tracking ability of the volley.

Gotcha. Having never played MWO, I don't feel qualified to translate the rules into something for D6.

Quote:
Also fun to note, in the comp game LRMs have a minimum distance necessary to do damage. Inner Sphere needs 180m before the warhead goes live, Clan tech is instant on, but does decimals of damage before 180m.

That might be worth including. I know the Enhanced LRM had better fusing systems, and thus a shorter minimum range.

Quote:
Do you intend to try working out a damage grid for targeting of limbs,etc..or are you going to keep with rthe simpler soak and damage scale of d6?

Probably just the Soak and Damage. If I neede to, I would probably just use the hit location chart from the RAW to decide where a walker takes a hit.

Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, if locking isn't something you'll be including, are you going to just use LRMs and SRMs? Or to you intend to include streaks with a fc bonus being added, or will they get a second chance per your guided missiles? The reason I ask is in-universe, in that streak tech wouldn't come about without a reason.

I'm not trying to horn in, please don't take it that way. I'm just curious is all.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
If I may, if locking isn't something you'll be including, are you going to just use LRMs and SRMs? Or to you intend to include streaks with a fc bonus being added, or will they get a second chance per your guided missiles? The reason I ask is in-universe, in that streak tech wouldn't come about without a reason.

I'm not trying to horn in, please don't take it that way. I'm just curious is all.

That's quite alright. I have already written lock-on rules for starfighter-scale missiles, and they can easily be ported over to ground-based missile weapons. In fact, that was part of the reason I started giving Sensor stats to Walkers. However, dumbfire weapons will still have their uses, including heavier damage potential than guided weapons, as well as inability to be jammed or decoyed (they go where you point them).

To be honest, I don't recall whether LRMs in the original Battletech game went ballistic. I just always pictured them as LOS weapons with extended range at the cost of smaller warheads.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify before I continue with the stats, seeing as how the missiles for BattleTech seem to be similarly sized and differing primarily in internal arrangement, I'm going to go ahead and fold LRMs, SRMs and Streak Missile Launchers into a generic Missile Launcher, which can be loaded with different missile types depending on mission and pilot preference. The primary differences will be in how the launcher's design supports volley fire. The different missiles will use the following stats:
    Long-Range Missile
    Fire Control: 3D
    Range: 200m-1.2km/3km/6km
    Damage: 5D

Short-Range Missile
    Fire Control: 3D
    Range: 100m-600m/1.2km/2.5km
    Damage: 7D

Streak Missile
    Fire Control: 5D
    Range: 100m-600m/1.2km/2.5km
    Damage: 5D

Missile Launchers themselves will include only the following stats...
    Fire Arc: Per Launcher
    Skill: Missile Weapons
    Rate of Fire: Per Launcher
    Ammo: Per Launcher
...with all other stats decided by the missile with which the launcher is loaded.

I'm on the fence as far as the other, specialized missile types (such as the mine-layers or cluster or inferno warheads) on the smaller missiles, as a part of me wants to limit those to really long-ranged artillery missiles (in the 30-40 kilometer range).

Thoughts?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in Btech, thunder (mine field) munitions are LRM only, while Inferno are SRM only..
Then you also have Swarm ammo, Semi-guided, and Tandem charge warheads.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, in Btech, thunder (mine field) munitions are LRM only, while Inferno are SRM only..

My understanding on Inferno missiles was that their primary use was to overload a mech's heat sinks. Since I didn't include heat sinks in these stats, what's the point of having Inferno missiles?

Quote:
Then you also have Swarm ammo, Semi-guided, and Tandem charge warheads.

I got Swarm, and I'm planning on including the Semi-Guided as part of the Artillery Missile Mech that I have in the works (which is consistent with how BattleTech used them). Tandem charge warheads just seem like a fancy way of saying armor piercing; extra effect against armored targets at the expense of blast radius, so they can't be used against infantry.

EDIT: The Narc missile is also a possibility: no damage, and can't be volley fired, but adds a bonus to friendly mechs to detect and target it (and the target it is attached to).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is my version of the Archer, based on the picture I found. Per the image, it moves the laser cannon out to the arms.

Archer-Class Fire Support Walker
Craft: Balmorran Arm's Archer-Class
Type: All-Terrain FIre Support Walker
Scale: Walker
Length: 6 meters (14 meters tall)
Skill: Walker Operation: Archer
Crew: 1 & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill:
Sensors 4D
Vehicle Blasters 5D
Missile Weapons 6D
Walker Operation 5D
Cargo Capacity: 800 kg.
Cover: Full
Cost: Not Available For Sale
Maneuverability: 2D
Move: 23; 65 kph
Body: 4D+1
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/2D
Search 6km/3D
Focus 300m/3D+2
Weapons:
2 Missile Launchers (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Missile Weapons
Fire Control: 2D
Rate of Fire: Singly or in Volleys of 2-20
Damage:
3 Dual Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear (Can be fire-linked in Front Arc)
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 2D
Damage: 4D
2 Hand Actuators (1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right)
Note:
-The Archer's's main fuselage may rotate to face either the Left or Right Fire Arcs, but may only fire in one Fire Arc per round, and requires two rounds to move from Left to Right or Right to Left.
-In addition, if the main fuselage is angled to either the Right or Left Fire Arc, the Weapon Arm on that side may angle to fire into the Rear Fire Arc.
-The pilot suffers no penalty to Walker Operation regardless which arc the fuselage is facing.
Capsule: The Archer-Class Battle Walker is a companion vehicle to Balmorran Arms' heavier Atlas-Class. While the Atlas is intended primarily as a heavy assault walker, the Archer is designed more for a fire support role, using its high-capacity missile launchers to engage targets at greater ranges than the Atlas.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, here are the remaining Mechs I intend to work on, along with the art I'm using for inspiration. The first four are all Balmorran products...

The Longbow, as a long-range missile artillery walker...

The Rifleman, as a long-range air-defense walker...

The Warhammer, as a general purpose combat walker...

and the Spider, as a recon walker to round out Balmorran Arms' walker units...

I'm also going to round out the Alliance Walker units with stats for the Dire Wolf...

And once I've posted those, I'm probably going to call it quits unless someone has any special requests or something else strikes my fancy.

I may also do Elemental Battle Armor, on similar lines to Spacetrooper Armor.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

My understanding on Inferno missiles was that their primary use was to overload a mech's heat sinks. Since I didn't include heat sinks in these stats, what's the point of having Inferno missiles?

Infernos are (from my experience playing battle tech) more for anti-vehicle and infantry operations. Burning the vehicles in one hit almost, and causing lots of damage to troops.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Infernos are (from my experience playing battle tech) more for anti-vehicle and infantry operations. Burning the vehicles in one hit almost, and causing lots of damage to troops.

Okay, that makes sense. So, that's Swarm (submunitions), Thunder (FASCAM), Inferno (Incendiary), Tandem Charge (Armor Piercing) and Semi-Guided...

In the real world, most of these things are only found on artillery missiles, and I'm on the fence as far as allowing them on direct-fire weapons for mechs...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps for mechs they are seen more as long range artillery vice direct fire (other than the infernos).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I was envisioning it as the big ball part of the pulses, smack down the shields letting in the lance/small bits' of the pulse..

I suppose it depends on which universe's version of lasers take precedence. If the Mechwarrior Online game action is accurate, lasers fire a multi-second beam, much like the ball turrets on the LAAT/i's in AOTC. However, Star Wars lasers fire a single, short duration blast like a bullet. Obviously, "lance" tech exists in the SWU, but not in any coherently applied fashion. Composite-Beam Laser is quite a mouthful. I suppose Warhammer 40K's Lance is as good a name as any.

Oddly enough, g, there is another possibility that has been staring us in the face the whole time. Battletech has the Particle Beam Cannon, and Particle Beams are mentioned in the Star Wars Sourcebook (page 8, under Armaments, paragraph 3). The only part of the EU that has used particle beam weaponry to any degree is Star Wars Galaxies, which includes a series of particle beam based personal weaponry. However, it wouldn't be too hard to co-opt the EU in this case and simply declare that all the beam weaponry seen in the films are, in fact, particle beam cannon. This leaves the existing backstory for blasters intact, and provides an essentially unexplored new weapon system.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that kind of flies in the face of what we have seen in canon (novels and films).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: