The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TIE Bomber Modular Pod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> TIE Bomber Modular Pod Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: TIE Bomber Modular Pod Reply with quote

So, a while back, I came out with the TIE Interceptor Modular Mission Package, which allowed a TIE Interceptor to be fitted out for a greater variety of missions. I'm thinking of doing something similar with the TIE Bomber, folding the Bomber, the TIE Shuttle and the TIE Boarder into a single vessel with a modular pod unit that can be swapped out depending on mission needs. In addition to the three units described above, I'm also considering a rescue unit that can help retrieve stranded pilots, and a tractor beam unit that can tow other ships. I'd like some suggestions for additional ideas I haven't considered. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realise most fighter sized craft are already maxed out for what their size can fit in them right?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TIE Bomber, however, uses the same basic platform for different mission types, specifically Bomber, Boarding and Shuttle. My idea is a basic TIE Bomber platform where the mission pod can be swapped out depending on mission needs, so that the same ship can perform the missions of bomber, boarding, shuttle, rescue, recovery, etc, just by swapping out the mission pod. A TIE Bomber re-equipped as a Shuttle will not be able to carry ordnance, but will be able to carry passengers, and so on and so forth.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea that makes sense.

But the Empire wouldn't do it that way. They would have one of each ship laying around, just in case, because.... inefficiency!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
That sounds like a great idea that makes sense.

But the Empire wouldn't do it that way. They would have one of each ship laying around, just in case, because.... inefficiency!

Don't rain on my parade, J! Wink

Seriously, that's fine for larger ships, but the smaller ones aren't going to have the deck space needed to keep one of everything around just in case, especially if the number of possible variants increases.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea.

Even if Palpy's Empire wouldn't go for it, someone else might.

As for possible other variants, how about:
- an AWACS (SWACS?) platform?
- an electronic warfare platform?
- a minelayer/minesweeper (or does the bomber have this covered?)?
- Tom Lehrer
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a high priority shuttle/courier with a light shield and hyperdrive as the standard shuttle doesn't have either.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that. Since i initially posted i did see that the Tie bomber has some mission profile leway in what it carries..
As for the AWACS would that not be covered by the reconnaissance package he had for the interceptor?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Sounds like a cool idea.

Even if Palpy's Empire wouldn't go for it, someone else might.

Actually, having the Empire pick it up isn't too far fetched. They have already experimented with modular systems (like the Modular Taskforce Cruiser and the Rapid Deployment Base), and ships introduced in the Dark Empire era have small craft complements composed exclusively of Interceptors and Bombers, so having those craft be capable of a wider variety of missions would make sense...

Leon The Lion wrote:
As for possible other variants, how about:
- an AWACS (SWACS?) platform?

AWACS would still work if you use Aerospace instead of Air. I have a couple of problems with this on a Bomber, though. First, even the smallest of AWACS/AEW craft still have multiple crew, both pilots and flight controllers, and there just isn't enough room on the Bomber for powerful sensors and extra crewmen (although a modified version of the TIE Scout would be better suited for it). Second, Imperial TIE doctrine has the TIEs operating in direct support of either Army or Navy units, with all their moves directed by a flight controller operating from either a naval ship or a base of some kind. Having an AWACS platform that allows fighters to operate independently is not something the Imperial high command is likely to approve of. However, the idea of a sensor platform does have some uses...

garhkal wrote:
As for the AWACS would that not be covered by the reconnaissance package he had for the interceptor?

They could both have their uses, depending on the mission. A recon Interceptor could cover a lot of area fast, while a surveillance bomber could carry a larger, more versatile sensor package to pick up more detailed information from a known target while standing off at a distance.

Another possibility derived from the AWACS discussion is to use the bomber as a comm/scan relay to extend the reach of TIE fighters while keeping them linked to flight control. In essence, the bomber pilot flies to a location designated by flight control, and his onboard sensors are beamed back to the base station, extending the reach of its sensors. Flight controllers would monitor TIE operations which would normally be beyond the range of their sensors by observing them through the comm/scan relay, and would be able to send and receive communications via the relay as well (although this would certainly make the relay a prime target for enemy fighters). The key difference between the relay and an AWACS is that the pilot would simply fly where he was told, while the relay could even be operated remotely from the mothership. This could also be used to extend the reach of flight control in non-line-of-sight situations, such as around the curvature of a planet.

Leon The Lion wrote:
- an electronic warfare platform?

A possibility, but I think this would likely be a rare one, due to the Empire's preference for capital ships with starfighters in support. I think a bomber EW platform would likely be deployed only if circumstances were such that a capital ship wasn't suitable for the mission.

Leon The Lion wrote:
- a minelayer/minesweeper (or does the bomber have this covered?)?

The bomber's ordnance package is already equipped to lay mines, but minesweeping offers definite possibilities. That, in turn, begs the question of what would be appropriate equipment to sweep space mines. A mine-sweeping sensor, obviously, but then what? Drones to place sensor packages? Blaster or mass driver cannon to detonate mines by remote?

wildfire wrote:
Maybe a high priority shuttle/courier with a light shield and hyperdrive as the standard shuttle doesn't have either.

This is more the mission of the Lambda-Class Shuttle, with the TIE Shuttle used for high-priority inter-ship transfers (per its description).

A couple other possible pods:

1). Assault - Equipped with an ion cannon and either a turbolaser or heavy laser, it would allow the TIE Bomber to make heavy energy attacks (ala the B-Wing) sufficient to engage small cap ships.

2). Attack - Elongated pod (similar to the Boarding Pod) equipped to fire a limited number of small anti-ship rockets which would normally be too large to fit into the standard ordnance pod.

Thoughts?

RexMundiAbu
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the pod ideas !

Here are some that I came up with also :

1 : Probot launcher/carrier , Fighter has a hyperdrive and carries a few to launch at each system/planet visited , then either the fighter goes back to pick them up or another ship follows days behind to retreive the droids or their data .

2 : Small prisoner transport vessel . Pod is big enough to hold 1 or 2 secure prisoners ( maybe in stasis ? )

3 : Cargo pod . Just a large pod for general cargo .

4 : Small ground vehicle/speeder transport . Pod large enough to carry 1 repulsertank perhaps with fast drop off for the tank .
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RexMundiAbu wrote:
I like all the pod ideas !

Good to hear. Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Quote:
Here are some that I came up with also :

1 : Probot launcher/carrier , Fighter has a hyperdrive and carries a few to launch at each system/planet visited , then either the fighter goes back to pick them up or another ship follows days behind to retreive the droids or their data .

I could see that mission for a different ship, but in this case, anything involving a hyperdrive would be out because I'm not talking about changing up the Bomber's drive system, just the mission package.

Quote:
2 : Small prisoner transport vessel . Pod is big enough to hold 1 or 2 secure prisoners ( maybe in stasis ? )

3 : Cargo pod . Just a large pod for general cargo .

Probably would be better to just fold these two into one, with the stasis pod inside the cargo pod if prisoner transport is required, or just handcuffed into the seat in the shuttle pod if the stasis pod isn't necessary.

Quote:
4 : Small ground vehicle/speeder transport . Pod large enough to carry 1 repulsertank perhaps with fast drop off for the tank .

I don't think there would be nearly enough room in the pod for a repulsortank. At best, it might have enough room to deploy one or two speeder bikes.

RexMundiAbu
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

My next idea for a pod could be a special missions squad pod , large enough to hold a squad of troops and perhaps a speeder bike or 2 and any mission cargo . But this is not really anything new I suppose :/
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RexMundiAbu wrote:
Thanks Smile

My next idea for a pod could be a special missions squad pod , large enough to hold a squad of troops and perhaps a speeder bike or 2 and any mission cargo . But this is not really anything new I suppose :/

I'm not sure there would be that kind of room available, and that mission would be more appropriate to some of the other Imperial shuttle types. Even with a squad crammed into an oversized pod for the Boarding pod variant, there wouldn't be a lot of room left over for a speeder bike and supplies.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training Pod - An add-on cockpit with override controls, allowing an instructor to oversee flight operations for an inexperienced pilot in the standard cockpit.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did something very similar. This is a copypaste of the revised PDF we've been using in our campaign (rebel era):

Quote:
TIE/sa Attack Starfighter (TIE Bomber)
Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems TIE/sa starfighter
Affiliation: Empire
Era: Rebellion
Type: Dedicated light space bomber and shuttlecraft
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 7.8 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: TIE
Crew: 1
Passengers: none (as a bomber); 3 (when operating as a shuttlecraft)
Crew Skill: Missile weapons 4D+1, starfighter piloting 5D, starship gunnery 4D, starship shields 4D
Cargo Capacity: 15 metric tons (bomb bay)
Hyperdrive motivator: small assembly can be fitted as an upgrade, with a limited nav computer
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 150,000 (new), 75,000 (used)
Space: 6 (60MGLT) when loaded as a bomber, 8 (75 MGLT) as a shuttlecraft
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 35/1D
Search: 50/2D
Focus: 3/2D+2
Weapons:
2 Light Laser Cannons (fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 3D
Proton bombs (15 carried)
Fire Arc: Front/down
Skill: Missile weapons
Fire Control: 3D+2
Space Range: 1/2/5
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/1/5 km
Damage: 11D
Alternative bombing armament
2 Proton Torpedo Launchers (fire separately, 36 torpedos carried)
Fire arc: Front/down
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700m
Damage: 9D
Capsule:
These craft are a new design used ubiquitously among the Imperial fleet as light shuttles and tactical attack starfighters. It takes only a few
hours to refit a spaceframe for one role or the other. The type is inherently easily modified with additional systems or various armament
outlays and are often used as development testbeds by Sienar Fleet Systems or as technology demonstrators, such as the TIE/x prototype
which Lord Vader uses as his personal starfighter.
Typical armament for the weapons bay is 15 hefty proton bombs capable of leaving a space cruiser nothing more than a burning wreck
within a matter of minutes. Alternatively a very large magazine of 36 proton torpedos maybe fired from a downwards slanted twin
launcher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: