The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle and Energy/Ray Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Particle and Energy/Ray Shields Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things would've been simpler if WEG had just said "Starships either have combat shields (which deflect damage) or they don't". I've always thought it was ridiculous that deflectors only work against one of the three main ways of inflicting damage in combat.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you, crmcneill. And it would make things much simpler!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible patch would be:
    1) Rule that shields work against laser cannon, ion cannon and projectile weapons
    2) Increase the damage of all ion cannon by +1D-2D to offset their new inability to penetrate shields.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, if particle shields are essentially navigation shields, losing them should increase the Terrain Difficulty by +2D, with standard results, with Slight Slip, Slip and Spin results indicating that the ship took a hit from some particle or something that would normally be deflected by the navigation shields, not enough to actually cause damage, but enough to knock it off course.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to drop particle shields to let ship out a hanger bay may not be necessary, The Death Star's exhaust port was ray sheilded and the rest of the Death Star wasn't. But the rebel ships past through a magnetic field (shields?). Can other ship have locations that turn off shields in one place but not another
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Having to drop particle shields to let ship out a hanger bay may not be necessary, The Death Star's exhaust port was ray sheilded and the rest of the Death Star wasn't. But the rebel ships past through a magnetic field (shields?). Can other ship have locations that turn off shields in one place but not another

Certainly. The official rules for shields require that you distribute your available shield dice between the four fire arcs, so shutting off the shields in one arc would simply be a matter of transferring that arc's dice to another arc.

Also, the Hideouts & Strongholds book mentions a type of planetary shields called Shutter Shields that are composed of multiple overlapping smaller shields, where a small section can be dropped to allow ships or weapons to pass through, leaving the rest of the shields up.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Coruscant was protected by one of those shutter shields. Bombarding one section and getting it off line was how the Lusyankya was able to get out.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well my take on this, since ion cannons are designed to circumvent energy shields and that particle shields are just another type of energy shield they should be circumvented as well. This would mean that ship hull ratings would be -2D for the purpose of soak damage vs ion cannons. This definitely gives ion cannons a much needed boost.

Lets be honest, no one is afraid of ion cannons. As RAW its entirely too hard to get enough controls ionized to make a ship go to controls dead and even if you do get that far, it only lasts for 2 rounds and does not reduce speed. Ion cannons per RAW are indeed useless.

BUT. If we take into account that the hull rating is indeed -2D this gives them a great deal more punch.
I just house rule it. The way I run it, shield ratings include particle and ray shielding. Hull is just hull. Ion cannons remain effective because instead of causing "controls ionized", they just make whole systems go dead until they're repaired.

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:

I'm picturing what might happen if someone, such as an infiltrator or other saboteur, were to switch the particle shielding back on while fighters were in the process of launching. Also, assuming that the timing of particle shields being dropped while projectile weapons are being launched is done very carefully so that they only "flicker" off for a very small space of time during the launching process, what if someone were to throw that timing off just slightly? In either case, I can't imagine anything GOOD resulting.

I think you just gave me an idea for a SpecForces mission!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I just house rule it. The way I run it, shield ratings include particle and ray shielding. Hull is just hull. Ion cannons remain effective because instead of causing "controls ionized", they just make whole systems go dead until they're repaired.
Of course, allowing ships to have particle / navigation shields does add another avenue by which Hull Dice can be increased...

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particle shielding is used on some conventional real world spacecraft designs for the various space agencies and operators.
It's a combination of systems insulation, redundancies, structural reinforcement and energized fields projected around the craft. They're designed to protect against everything from ionized particles (eg. van allen belts) to micrometeors (can't stop direct hits holing the craft, but can prevent small holes causing catastrophic damage by default and deflect high angled collisions up to a given kinetic release rating).

Applying those conventions to SWRPG, particle shields pretty much work as described except you can only lose them from your hull soak under very specific conditions and circumstances per individual craft type and equipment fit/design.
And also, it means yes TIE have particle shielding by default, all spacecraft do except in Information tech they were manually operated. Personally I'd House-rule that TIE particle shielding is mostly hull armouring so is never lost, whilst X-Wing hull ratings are so comparatively high not because they're extra extra armoured more than a TIE, but because they also have powerful fields for particle deflection, and do lose -2D off hull soak when all power systems are disabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: