The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New imperial weapon..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New imperial weapon.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if the only way to update the list of ships that can close with the mines is by using a ship that is already on the trusted list doesn't that mean that whoever maintains the mines has to make sure their fleet isn't upgraded before they update the list on the mines?

If there was an attack on the base and the hanger was destroyed then all the ships the mine knows as safe are gone and either someone has to fake some transponder codes so they can get close enough to update the list or the mines maintained by that base just can't be updated again.

In my mind it just makes sense that there would be a way to update the mines from a safe distance. What if the mines were damaged and lost the ability to detect transponder codes? The mine detects a ship, can't detect a transponder code and then engages. Some sort of long distance shutdown code at the very least just makes sense.

Although I do like the idea of an area that was mined off years ago and then the details of those mines were lost so they just continued to sit there, their information getting more and more out of date. Suddenly someone decides to do something with the area, put a space station nearby or something and all the traffic to the space station from a certain direction just goes missing... like a bermuda triangle type thing. The mines keep sending signals to a base that has been defunct for years so no-one knows what is happening or why. Perhaps the frequency the mines transmit and receive on isn't even used any more.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to be one heck of an attack to destroy all the ships on the safe list...
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks that these mines are better off flawed? We are talking about the Empire, after all. Almost everything in their arsenal has a fatal design flaw. It's part of their character.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And pray tell what flaw do you forsee them having?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like the original stats you created. I see no need to give it defense weapons, improved speed, or give it complex enemy identification protocols.

I think it is just fine as it is.

In my game, I might conjure a way that the mine can be tricked into thinking that either the players' ship is authorized or that an authorized ship is an enemy.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself looking at this more as the SW equivalent of the US Navy's Submarine Launched Mobile Mine. In my mind, something like this would be deployed from a distance, then use its own propulsion and stealth to move into an area where the launching vessel couldn't go, either because of safety or stealth concerns. The device would then wait for an appropriate target and detonate, disabling the targets, but would also send a burst transmission over the Holonet giving its exact location and a sensor snapshot of the targets in question. Nearby fleet units could then jump in to engage the disabled targets.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would have to be one heck of an attack to destroy all the ships on the safe list...

Sure but that isn't the only reason to have a remote shutdown command or a way to update the safe list without having to get into range of the mine.

"This is Central Command. We need you to head to sector five and turn the mines off. Someone planetside has been planting devices on ships that emit a false transponder code. We've got a VIP coming through shortly and you're the only one close enough to disable the mines in time."

"I'd love to Central Command but this ship just got transferred, we're not on the safe list yet."

Or imagine that the investigation team arrives to investigate a downed ship at the same time a known smuggler does. Given the mine's attacks are a sphere the investigation team aren't going to want to get caught in the blast wave. Especially if the smuggler sees the investigator, turns to leave and the mine interprets that as being detected.

It just doesn't seem like the risk of someone managing to crack the mine's codes from a safe distance outweighs the risk of having a legitimate need to shut the mine down without getting in range.

Plus it is going to be much more cost effective to 'radio in' the updates to the transponder list than it is to send a ship out to update every mine in the sector.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the empire, they care not about cost effectiveness.. Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving some serious thought to using these in my adventure this coming weekend.

Right now the PCs just scooped up a few stormtrooper bodies as well as a live (but unconscious) ISB officer. They're not even sure who grabbed the Imperial, but right now their plan is to dump him as quickly as they can. I just think it would really add to the tension if they hit one of these mines and had to wait. The Jedi will not tolerate the more cruel elements among the PCs, who have already suggested spacing him... Shocked
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It's the empire, they care not about cost effectiveness.. Smile

Tell that to the pilots of the TIE fighters.

Wookiepedia TIE page wrote:
The Imperials used so many that they came to be considered symbols of the Empire and its might. They were also very cheap to produce, reflecting the Imperial philosophy of quantity over quality.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Tell that to the pilots of the TIE fighters.
No need. TIE fighters are so cheaply built that the pilots never last long enough to demand an explanation!

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm giving some serious thought to using these in my adventure this coming weekend.

Right now the PCs just scooped up a few stormtrooper bodies as well as a live (but unconscious) ISB officer. They're not even sure who grabbed the Imperial, but right now their plan is to dump him as quickly as they can. I just think it would really add to the tension if they hit one of these mines and had to wait. The Jedi will not tolerate the more cruel elements among the PCs, who have already suggested spacing him... Shocked

Let me know how it works out if you DO use it..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derfinitely will do. I'm thinking of starting off my adventure with them running into one, hopefully leaving them dead in space for some tense minutes as potential hostiles approach.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked up all the details on this (mostly just copying and pasting what garhkal came up with). By my calculations, as written, it could pulse twice every 11 rounds, rather than 9.

1) Charging
2) Charging
3) Charging
4) ***Pulses***
5) Ready to Recharge
6) Ready to Recharge
7) Ready to Recharge
8) Ready to Recharge
9) Ready to Recharge
10) Ready to Recharge
11) Charging
12) Charging
13) Charging
14) ***Pulses***
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, garhkal, good call on giving it a 6D with Scholar: BoSS.

In prep for tonight's game, I came across the forged ship's ID for our group. It was a 19.

So I rolled 6D for it.....and got a 20. Whew! 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: