The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New imperial weapon..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New imperial weapon.. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: New imperial weapon.. Reply with quote

Was thinking about this for imperials. It mentions many an area, that the imps love to mine parts of space on less used trade routes, as these are those mostly used by smugglers and rebel scum.

Craft: Akriad systems Defender platform Mark 1
Type: Capital space mine
Scale: Capital
Length: 60 Metres by 40 meters
Skill: N/A. Automated
Crew: Automated
Crew Skill: Sensors 6d, Communicatins 5d, cap ship weapons 6d
Cargo Capacity: N/A
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 182,000 credits, not available used. Availability code 4X
Hyperdrive Multiplier: N/A
Nav Computer: N/A
Maneuverability: has none
Space: 1
Atmosphere: Cannot enter
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 50/0D Scan: 75/1D
Search: 100/2D Focus: 10/4D
Weapons:
Ion pulse wave
Fire Arc: full globe
Skill: Capital ship weaponry
Fire Control: Not really applicable
Space Range: 40
Damage: 0-10 space units/7d ion damage, 11-20 space units/5d damage
21-30 space units/3d damage, 31-40 space units 1d damage.

This platform has been made with one purpose in mind. Sit at an area, masked from observers both visually and sensors (shields add to teh diff to detect, and is painted black to mesh with space). It waits and 'listens'. When it detects a ship within it's blast radius, it charges the ION pulse wave and waits until the ship is as close as possible before detonating. If needed it will also use its limited sublight to help push it in the right direction. Once the pulse is activated, it envelops a full sphere around the mine, most likely deactivating anythin in its blast radius, starfighter sized. It then sends off a communications burst to the nearest imperial facility loaded into it's memory banks, to let them know something is awaiting capture. The power cells have enough charge, to allow 18 such bursts before it needs full recharging.

My only thoughts for problems, is as it 'explodes' in a full sphere, would it even need Cap Ship gunnery?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.galacticempiredatabank.com

In there are total stats for Imperial space mines. There are no WEG stats for them, and they are somewhat limited in the creativity department your mine displays.

Stat em, and let's make more. Surprised
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say since it is an area effect, it needs no gunnery skill, unless the skill represents it's ability to Identify potential targets, etc. Perhaps a knowledge skill for identifying and anylizing threat potential of vessels, so as to best maximize it's use? Also, I feel the sublight drives are really unescessary for a mine, and should be left off. It would be much easier to detect on sensors if it were moving.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt, giving it a SU of 1, would allow it to atleast keep out of the way of metors, and such.

And does anyone else have any idea on the AOE/skill roll??
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are generally 2 types of AOE weapons, ranged, and stationary. Ranged weapons (grenades, ordinance, etc...) make a skill roll to hit the general area, then targets can try to leap out of the primary blast zone, but damage is resolved against all targets caught in the blast. With stationary AOE (such as mines and explosives) there is really no skill roll to detonate, there is usually a trigger of some sort, and once tripped, they affect the entire area. Usually such devices are concealed, and it is up to potential victims to detect them. With motion triggers, or advanced FOF identification, I would recommend some form of Knowledge or search skill for the device (as determined appropriate by the GM for a given trigger).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With motion triggers, or advanced FOF identification, I would recommend some form of Knowledge or search skill for the device (as determined appropriate by the GM for a given trigger).

What do you suggest?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What do you suggest?

I would give it a Sensor skill to locate vessels and the knowledge skill of Scholar:Starship Identification to represent a Friend or Foe type database. Or even Scholar:BoSS Registry to track transponder codes maybe? Then when it makes a successful skill check it identifies and enemy and whammo! Of course, players in danger who are watching their sensors may be able to identify the threat in time and avoid it with a successful Sensor roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though most players 'sensor' rang for passive is not as big as the weapons blast radius....

Here is the re-write.. Changed it's range for both the 'blast' and the sensors....

Craft: Akriad systems Defender platform Mark 1
Type: Capital space mine
Scale: Capital
Length: 60 Metres by 40 meters
Skill: N/A. Automated
Crew: Automated
Crew Skill: Sensors 6d, Scholar: BoSS 6d
Cargo Capacity: N/A
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 182,000 credits, not available used. Availability code 4X
Hyperdrive Multiplier: N/A
Nav Computer: N/A
Maneuverability: has none
Space: 1
Atmosphere: Cannot enter
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 80/0D Scan: 120/1D
Search: 160/2D Focus: 10/4D
Weapons:
Ion pulse wave
Fire Arc: full globe
Skill: Capital ship weaponry
Fire Control: Not really applicable
Space Range: 40
Damage: 0-20 space units/7d ion damage, 21-40 space units/5d+1 damage
41-60 space units/3d+2 damage, 61-80 space units 2d damage.

This platform has been made with one purpose in mind. Sit at an area, masked from observers both visually and sensors (shields add to teh diff to detect, and is painted black to mesh with space). It waits and 'listens'. When it detects a ship within it's blast radius, it compares the ships id (which is usually one of the first things you pick up) against it's BoSS watch list. This list, is updated periodically, especially if there was a lot of ships recently added. If it detects a ship on that list, it charges the ION pulse wave and waits until the ship is as close as possible before detonating. If needed it will also use its limited sublight to help push it in the right direction, but if it detects that the 'target ship' is moving away as if it was detected, it will "blow" the pulse, even if not in optimal damage range.
Once the pulse is activated, it envelops a full sphere around the mine, most likely deactivating anythin in its blast radius, starfighter sized. It then sends off a communications burst to the nearest imperial facility loaded into it's memory banks, to let them know something is awaiting capture. The power cells have enough charge, to allow 18 such bursts before it needs full recharging. From the time of 'starting to charge' to ready to blow, it needs 3 full rounds. From a pulse blow out, to ready to recharge again, it takes 6.. So it can pulse twice in a 9 round period.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arise, i command thee

Well, time to go into the past on some of my tech i have designed..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this one! Am considering now how to use it...
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it hits anything starfighter sized; what about capital sized or freighters?

Also, what about ships that have false transponder codes? If the BoSS registry shows it as just a regular, old, commercial freighter, I suppose it won't detonate, right?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question (for now):

How does one figure out what range the device is at, when a ship (presumably the PC's) triggers it?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
(shields add to teh diff to detect, and is painted black to mesh with space).

So the shields make it more difficult to detect and also make it more resistant to damage? That seems a bit much. Camoflage/sensor baffling shields make sense but I would assume they wouldn't offer much protection. I'd give it both sets of shields but only allow it to use one at a time.

How does it get it's list updates? Can someone use communications skills to send false updates and repurpose it to stun imperial ships or something to that effect?

I assume it has a droid brain or something similar. How does it respond to a ship (that is not on it's list) attempting to salvage it or shooting at it?

How does it react to two (or more) ships on it's list if they are too far apart to get both? Does it have some sort of priority system?

What if it detects a ship without an ID (say a homemade vessel that isn't registered anywhere and is just used in deep space... The same way some off road bikes or demo-derby cars aren't road legal but can still be towed/transported to private events and used there)?

Does it have distress call facilities if it is damaged but not destroyed?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good. I'd consider adding a pair of blaster turrets for point defense (especially against meteoroids), and putting a charge time on the mine. Otherwise the thing could disable Death Squadron in a few turns. I can see players snatching one and just spamming the zap button...

Complete Starship Construction System
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just give it a simple repulsor system to keep asteroids from hitting it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: