The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How long should it take to plot a micro jump?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> How long should it take to plot a micro jump? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: How long should it take to plot a micro jump? Reply with quote

How long should it take to plot an insystem micro jump? What kind of difficultiy would it be?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on several things, like the astrogation skill of the pilot or navigator, if their ship has a navicomp, do they have an astromech, etc. All these will modify the difficulty and the time it takes to plot a course, even a microjump.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A microjump is more difficult and take a little longer to calculate. Look up the difficulties for ploting an unknown course; that's a mircojump. Most astrogation journeys are on established routes; with the exceptions being rare (scouts, military surprise, desperate characters, ect).
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most microjumps I know of are emergency manuvers preformed instantly by hitting the "Jump" button and going to hyperspace for anywhere from .01 seconds to 3 seconds and dropping out to plot a real course.

The chances for disaster are quite high, and can be reflected in game rules as purposefully bombing the atsrogation roll and requiring a D6 roll to determine wether or not this creates a complication.

A non-emergency, in system, microjump should be a bit easier, depending upon how you do it. The sensors have a much smaller course to check over for plot, and you may even be able to see all the way from start to finish by looking out the window (more likely with telescope). The difficulty comes in the fact that Hyperdrives are very, VERY long range boosters that work by accelarting the matter of the vessel and all within to blah blah blah...

The point is, your gauranteed success in plotting the course so long as that wild doesn't say "you forgot about the shoe someone chucked out a window". But is the hyperdrive precise enough to stop in time without taking any stress.

Most likely it is, and you can easily jump around a system in minutes in seconds. But don't push your luck.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in IIRC. p.116:

Sublight Benchmarks:

Anywhere from 10 to 48 hours to fly from a star to the outer limits of the system, depending upon distance and the presence of any hazards such as asteroid belts or gas clouds. (It takes about 15 hours to reach the outer limits of a "representative" system composed of a single yellow star and less than a dozen significant planetary bodies.) Often, pilots find that it's quicker to travel between planets by making a "micro jump" in hyperspace. While very precise navigation coordinates are necessary for this type of jump, such trips can be completed within an hour, compared
to sublight "intersystem" trips taking many hours.

This quote isnt saying if the trip duration is with calculation, but as it says completed, it could be meant this way.

Imho the microjumps used for scouting are longer than insystem microjumps, so they shouldn´t be used here for guessing. You should be able to get all relevant coordinates of obstacles for a insystem microjump with your sensors.

IIRC, p. 118:

Calculating a route takes one minute if the character is using a well-travelled route or is using precalculated coordinates. (In emergencies, a character can try to jump into hyperspace in one round instead of one minute. The astrogation difficulty is doubled and the character rolls each round until he either beats the difficulty number or suffers an astrogation mishap.) Calculating a route between known systems takes about half an hour.

Taking this quote into account, i would guess calculating duration for a insystem microjump between 1 minute and 30 minutes. It should be more to the lower end, maybe around 10 minutes.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long should it take to plot an insystem micro jump ?

I have a doubt about your question : do you wish to make a microjump in order to escape something or in order to travel from one point to another ?

For the second situation, just look at the rulebook. Since all the obstacles inside a system are often well known, the jump should be easy : something like 1 to 5 minutes to plot.

For the first situation, you aim your ship towards a random* direction, an jump into hyperspace for less than a second.
Then you just hope than nothing is on your way that could make your ship blow up. Wink

* : In fact you could try to plot your jump during 1 round, but sometimes it doesn't help much Laughing
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why he's asking for the game mechanics of doing this; it's a technique used in the novels to get to a point in space (basically line of sight, or at least line of sensors...) quickly enough to be of some good in a space battle.

This has given me another idea... mounting small, perhaps one-shot hyperdrives on projectiles for battle. Everything I've ever read says that if there's an object in your way while you're in hyperspace, if the gravity isn't enough to pull you into realspace, you crash into it. Take that a step further: if you could mount hyperdrives on missiles, you could maybe negate or greatly reduce the protection that shields give. This technology might be too far-fetched or too expensive to use, but think of the possibilities. I know it sounds way out there, but I'd be interested in hashing this idea out a little. C'mon, Argamoth and all you other physics and gaming experts out there... Tell me if this idea's too radical to be possible or if it has a kernel of merit, given some more thought...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, this was maybe done with the Galaxy Gun (a superweapon near Byss)

However I don't know much about this superweapon, so if someone could explain (maybe in another thread)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, sure it's "out there", but plausible within the universe. Certainly this kind of weapon would be something very expensive and quite unwieldy. Even a one-shot hyperdrive should be very bulky, hindering the missile considerably. But still, this would be a nice strategic weapon, not as efficient as an ordinary missile, but with a great surprise factor. Firing it accurately would be a very hard task.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the idea struck me that if we have devices capable of sending communication transmissions through hyperspace, then perhaps such an enabled missile might not be quite so unwieldy. I know most hyperdrives ARE these big, cumbersome devices, but I also figured that their size is determined by A)The size of the ship they're for, and B)How fast they'll propel the ship through hyperspace. My thought is that these missiles would be only capable of microjumps, maybe only in-system, and if it misses, it self-destructs or is destroyed by the ship that fired it. That would prevent it from falling into enemy hands. The self-destruct interval could be pre-programmed into the device to allow the deploying ship time to get away. This could be overridden by a transmission from the ship as well.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it used like an anti-capital ship torpedo, with a nulclear warhead or something attached. StarDestroyers and other larger ships probably have plenty of computers to calculate the coordinates for the torpedo. But a weapon like this would probably not be effective vs. rebels, on account that their ships are too small to reliably hit or just don't present a worthwile target. And the rebels themselves probably don't have the resources to to it themselves.

Another way to use this, though, could be to attach a bajillion bombettes onto the the h-drive. H-drive makes a jump, lands in the midst of the enemy fleet, and realeases a bajillinon proton torpedos at ships and fighters. Or a massive EMP/ion pulse.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some good ideas. If the hyper-capable unit suddenly drops into the middle of a formation and immediately fires off a volley of missile or torpedo fire, SOMEONE'S going home in an urn. If there's anything left, that is...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see this as a imp planetary use weapon, say it fires from the planet, and 'micro' jumps to the edge of the system to engage any ships incomming...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see this as a imp planetary use weapon, say it fires from the planet, and 'micro' jumps to the edge of the system to engage any ships incomming...

Might be better fired from an orbital defense platform. That way you don't have to worry so much about an in-atmosphere mishap. Plus you have less fuel worries.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found info on the Galaxy Gun :

http://theforce.net/swenc/entrydesc.asp?search=9349

Quote:

Galaxy Gun

Category: Weapons
Type: Projectile
Affiliation: Imperial
Planet of Origin: Byss (destroyed)

the Galaxy Gun was the Empire's last true super weapon, designed by Umak Leth and built in the Byss drydocks after Palpatine was reborn a second time, after the Battle of Endor.

The Galaxy Gun was a 7,250-meter-long cylindrical platform capable of launching intelligent projectiles into hyperspace. These "lightspeed torpedoes" could then exit hyperspace on their own, at precise coordinates. Once out of hyperspace, the projectiles could strike immediately at their targets, without any advanced warning.

The Emperor managed to destroy the New Republic's base on the Pinnacle Moon of Da Soocha V with a missile from the Galaxy Gun. However, during the defense of Byss, the Galaxy Gun was rammed by the Eclispe II as it emerged from hyperspace. The Galaxy Gun fired a missile during its destruction, which exploded inside the planet Byss. Although the Galaxy Gun was equipped with a hyperdrive, it was unable to escape the gravity well of the system. The resulting explosion wiped out the Imperial fleet, including the Galaxy Gun, killing all Imperial personnel in the blast and utterly destroying Byss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: