The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medium repeating blaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Medium repeating blaster Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Speak for yourself. We've often found ourselves in situations where the ranges were longer than our Rifles could handle. We've sought out Firearms to get better ranges!

'Course, that's also what mobilization is for, too. Wink Speederbikes and ULAVs!

That is why my unfortunatly now dead character, marcus had a Prax Arms HB-4 as his primary weapon. Yes he modded it direct from the manufacturer into a firearm variant, which did drop the range fro 8km max to 6km max, but still.. that is almost 4 miles!!!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, THAT could leave a mark... or at least a grease stain! Shocked
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with long ranges, just because the weapon has range doesn't mean the character sees the target. I like to create situations with combat at different ranges, and good weapon choice is critical. But usually, something as unwieldy as a medium repeater becomes a hassle for characters to lug around, even with a harness.
Most of my group is leaning toward Heavy Blasters and snubbed riffles right now.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Even with long ranges, just because the weapon has range doesn't mean the character sees the target. I like to create situations with combat at different ranges, and good weapon choice is critical. But usually, something as unwieldy as a medium repeater becomes a hassle for characters to lug around, even with a harness.
Most of my group is leaning toward Heavy Blasters and snubbed riffles right now.

Good point. Even with the 50X45 scope i had for the rifle, i still had a max effective range of around 2.8 km, though adding in a macro binocular to that did allow me to go out to the weapons max range)... Though, the longest shot i can remember doing, was about 1.5 km....... Most were in the 100-600m range..... Still 600m is more than the stormies can hope for Twisted Evil 8) 8)
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's still a cannon. You could really reach out and touch someone.

Our resident Wook preferred the Medium Repeater. We eventually refined it and added a backpack power generator. That worked well until it overloaded. Wookiee flambe.

Wasn't there a novel or adventure with a Gamorrean packing a single X-wing laser cannon? It only did 2 or 3D starfighter scale damage, but with the die cap (or extra dice) it didn't need much more. Anyone else see that around?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was in the Wraith Squadron series (Part of the X-Wing series.).

My group has always sworn by the Prax Arms Blast & Smash. Nice, compact, high rate of fire, underbelly grenade launcher. Lacks range, but, hey, we did shipboard action mostly, so that didn't matter.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you guys keep comparing these SW weapons to real world stuff like the .50 cal. MA duce and others. But these real weapons are made of hardened steal to withstand explosive heat and impact from rounds with explosive gunpowder shells.

Don't you think that SW weapons would be made out of lighter weight materials? I mean these things fire off an ignited gas sparked electrically. I assume there is some form of explosion to cause the bolt to have velocity, but since it is an ignited gas and not a lead or copper round you would think that the weapon would be a lighter weight.

It just seems that as long as the weapon can withstand the heat not conduct it to the user it could be constructed of lightweight plastics and have very few metal parts at all.

I don't know I could be totally off base, but it just seems like in a universe with tech like these any thing that didn't require a separate power supply would be fairly lightweight.

Just my 2 creds on the subject please feel free to tare me down now
Very Happy
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great point. Lightweight materials are probably incorporated as much as possible into everything used. For my own campaign, the "weight" restriction was mostly to keep every militant Jawa or Ewok from packing a howitzer. I also consider blaster weapons to have recoil, so that was a factor also.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this. If i was an army trooper and i saw a wookie (or any other race) carrying a medium Eweb, i would not shoot him, i would shoot his darn powerpack...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: