The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A new Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers and Scoundrels has begun!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> A new Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers and Scoundrels has begun!!! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Pazaak game, from KOTOR. I'm sure it's still around in the Rebellion era.... and the rules are perfectly fleshed out in the game.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you do a write up for that? I don't play video games so I have no knowledge of it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Pazaac is an interesting game to play on a computer. I'm not sure how it would translate into D6 terms. The basics, Trusty, involve having a standard deck, and then a customized "side deck" of sorts. I can't remember the actual term for the "side deck."

What you do is shuffle your side deck and draw five or six cards that go into your hand. Then both players draw from their standard deck. The goal is to keep drawing until you get as close to 20 as possible without going over (with cards ranging between the neighborhood of 1-8).

You can add or subtract from the score by using cards from your side deck.

The players go, winning, loosing, and drawing, until one person has won three times.

Basically, the more you've customized your side hand, the better your chances of hitting the magic 20.

I don't know how you would do the customization in terms of D6. If I were to translate it, I would say that winning depends on die rolls. The person with the highest gambling roll wins and your modified deck can add to your roll. The more expensive the deck, the more it adds to your roll. (Kind of like Yugio... he who spends the most money has a better chance of winning.) Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Another thought... Reply with quote

Hey, Trusty. Do you have a Table of Contents thought up for your book yet? Or do you have an outline you'd like to follow?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further into Pazaak, as I remember it. A standard deck has 10 cards +1 to +5 and -1 to -5. When play starts you get 5 of your cards (you can look at them) at random to play. The dealer draws you a card from his deck (I think they are numbered at 1-10 or something) and you can either add one of your cards or leave it as is. Then the dealer draws a card to the other player. Then it's your turn again, and so it goes, adding card after card. The goal is to get a total of 20, or the higher hand. It goes on until you've either reached 20, bombed out or decided to stay with the amount of cards you have. Whoever has the higher card count wins, ties do not count. When one of the players wins 3 times, the game is over and he wins the bet.

Then there's the issue of side-decks or special cards. You can buy those and each has a different value (+7, -6, etc.). Some can be flipped during gameplay (ex: +-5, +-3) and there are some others I don't remember. you can own zillions of different cards, but when the game starts you have to select only 10 of them to be your deck. And then only 5 of them will actually make it into a game.

Now, how to D6 it. It's a fairly straightforward game, with very little bluffing involved. It envolves luck and a good gambling sense to know which of your cards to use and when. And having and selceting a good deck also helps a lot. So I agree that the simplest way to do it would be to make opposed gambling rolls. When a player wins 3 of those, he wins the game, ties don't count. Custom cards can have a gambling modifer value of +1 or +2, depending on cost. but remember that only 5 cards come into play.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thought... Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Hey, Trusty. Do you have a Table of Contents thought up for your book yet? Or do you have an outline you'd like to follow?

I have a table of contents and an outline.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thought... Reply with quote

Trusty wrote:

Care to share it, or are you keeping it a secret until your done?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another thought... Reply with quote

Trusty wrote:
cheshire wrote:

You go, boy!!! Very Happy
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Trusty, are you open to receiving adventure ideas and whatnot? I'm willing to help. I've started reading the Lando Calrissian novels to help get ideas. They're really not bad in a pulp sort of way.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly, I need help. Wink
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I'll keep reading and see what I can do about some adventure ideas. I may be able to see if I can make a gambler's complete adventure, but I can't make many promises there.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've been working on adventure ideas and I've got a few things going . The Lando Calrisian books were a little help, but really not much. They focus on adventures of a guy who just so happened to be a gambler, but really didn't do much gambling in the books.

Do you want me to post the ideas here, or send them directly to you, Trusty?

BTW, is the work on this book still going on?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hunting for the original fan made GG13, and had no luck. I'm really glad to see it's being redone. I don't know how much help I'll be able to give, but I'd like to try. Is the work being coordinated through this forum, or is there a separate site for it?
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Something else potentially worth including Reply with quote

I have Byro Ti'mere’s Guide to Computers and Slicing ... not sure how many of you might also have it, but it's a pretty neat (and detailed) fan-made look at some skills many fringers have; new specializations, cost charts for slicer services, countermeasures, etc.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Something else potentially worth including Reply with quote

Tejma_Muhog wrote:
I have Byro Ti'mere’s Guide to Computers and Slicing ... not sure how many of you might also have it, but it's a pretty neat (and detailed) fan-made look at some skills many fringers have; new specializations, cost charts for slicer services, countermeasures, etc.

I'll post this in the Official PDF Sharing thread as well, but would you be willing to upload it for us to download?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: