The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Repulsorlift Versus Swoop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Repulsorlift Versus Swoop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Repulsorlift Versus Swoop Reply with quote

Here's a thread to argue as to why the two skills are different.

Main reason in my mind: The way you fly is massively different. Repulsorlift Vechicles are controlled mostly by their controls. Swoops are controlled almost as much by the body as by the controls.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, wouldn't a swoop be like a specialization of the repulsorlift ops skill? You're correct; the two are piloted differently. A swoop is more like a speeder bike, while a "regular repulsorlift vehicle" could take any number of forms. However, since it still falls under the purview of "Repulsorlift Ops," you'd technically be able to pilot one if you had any D in that skill. However, you could arguably specialize in Swoop Ops, making your skill in that better than your overall Repulsorlift Ops skill. Just like specializing in Corellian YT-1300s for Han Solo.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
...wouldn't a swoop be like a specialization of the repulsorlift ops skill?

Just like 'motorcyle' is a specialization of 'automobile'?

No. I think they are two different skills.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, other than learning the actual controls, anyone can still make a motorcycle OR a car go fifty miles an hour; you just need a bit of instruction, and not that much, either. I'm not saying you'd necessarily be proficient, and this might even call for a bit of a penalty until you'd logged some time on it (perhaps 1D hours of operation) but I don't think they should arbitrarily be two separate skills.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A speeder bike has only a repulsor-lift engine with a seat.

A swoop has an engine pod, Repulsor-Lift/Ion-Engine combined.

The bike doesn't hover very high off the ground, and only goes half the speed of a swoop.

A swoop can fly, for the most part, and approaches the speed of sound. Some swoops go into upper atmospheres at beyond mach speeds and require special suits to be worn in either of these conditions.

The Specialized Swoop Trooper, a red armored scout trooper with a mach speed, stratospheric swoop bike, had special swoop armor for the normally human bending forces exerted upon him by his military grade swoop bike.

I so damn want stats for that.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that Scout Trooper from?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only memory of him is as a limited edition action figure. He was supposed to be from a novel somewhere, too.

Modified Scout-Trooper armor, colored red, with an amazing red Swoop Bike, the one we all know and love that looks kind of like a mechanical bull.
But according to the back of the box it flew at mach speeds.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, never heard of him. Would love to see a picture of it.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Well, other than learning the actual controls, anyone can still make a motorcycle OR a car go fifty miles an hour; you just need a bit of instruction, and not that much, either. I'm not saying you'd necessarily be proficient, and this might even call for a bit of a penalty until you'd logged some time on it (perhaps 1D hours of operation) but I don't think they should arbitrarily be two separate skills.

Having had to learn both, there's such a difference between cars and motorcycles that you need a lot more than a bit of instruction.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Crunch and "Killer Bunny" (His HEAVILY customized swoop) had a number of adventures.

He even commanded a group of Speederbike Troopers in an attack against AT-ATs and CAVs! They took on superior numbers and took out many more than their own numbers, but it was rather similar to the "Charge of the Light Brigade".

Crunch was the only survivor. Despite everyone targeting him, only one shot hit. And that was a lone Stormie hanging off the back of a CAV with a Blaster Pistol, and it didn't penetrate his armour.

His Smasher Armour was specially designed, and incorporated enough features that it worked as a vacsuit for a *VERY* limited time, so handled the pressure of Mach+ speeds no problem.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

Having had to learn both, there's such a difference between cars and motorcycles that you need a lot more than a bit of instruction.

I've worked both myself, but only a bit of instruction on motorcycles. I didn't say you'd be GOOD at it; I just said you could drive the thing. I also didn't mean to imply that you weren't going to be leaving paint deposits on the items you pass by... Shocked

But I'd also LOVE to get stats for that special swoop/trooper. A pic would be great!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a picture.

http://www.starwarestoys.com/Vehicles/swoopL.jpg

It is not the same model, as the picture displays a red trooper but the box contains an odd looking brown trooper.

But there it is, the mach speed, high altitude, swoop, with a special trooper, and something i totally forgot about A TORPEDO LAUNCHER.

The thing has a proton torpedo launcher, awesome.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a heavily modified Mobquet Flare-S Swoop, very cool design. However that's not a scout unit, that's one of those thugs that chase Dash Rendar in Shadows of the Empire.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, wish I had gotten this when it was out.

Would have made a perfect thing to play with when Crunch was doing his thing.

He was seeing about trying to get a set of Blaster Cannons put on his Swoop. It's Crunch, so price wasn't a matter.

He owned a percentage of BlasTech, for example.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
That's a heavily modified Mobquet Flare-S Swoop, very cool design. However that's not a scout unit, that's one of those thugs that chase Dash Rendar in Shadows of the Empire.

According to the description on the box, which is reprinted on the site I got the picture from, that is supposed to be a Swoop Trooper. Not a swoop jockey or swoop thug.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: