The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial arts skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial arts skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Martial arts skill Reply with quote

I'm completely unable to find the "base" version of the Martial Arts skill, so a few rules questions. Can you the skill for a brawling parry? If it can, does it have the normal parrying weapons unarmed penalties, or different ones? Is it an advanced skill? And what's "normal" damage for an unarmed attack, both using and not using Martial Arts?

Thanks. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base version of Martial Arts can be found in Rules of Engagement, toward the back.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The base version of Martial Arts can be found in Rules of Engagement, toward the back.

I checked, and I'm not the first person on this forum to ask this, and be given the same answer, and I don't mean to be rude, simply blunt, but looking at the version of Rules of Engagement on the D6 Holocron - it does not. The base skill simply isn't there. It contains one multi-page block of optional custom Marital Arts techniques, and a smaller box of multiple optional rules. There are no non-optional rules. Screencap from the D6 Holocron .pdf:

The first line says exactly that. As for where it's been "for a long time," it's not in REUP, it's not in the initial second edition, and it's not in the first edition. So what does contain the base skill, with something other then optional rules? It's not this book, Rules of Engagement. Is there more then one edition of the book? Are we both looking at the same book? That would explain it. Or is the actual non-optional rule somewhere else?

Which of these rules are considered "standard RAW" these days? I've got no idea. Again, I don't mean to be rude, blunt perhaps. But I think the fact that it's not in Rules of Engagement needs to be more widely known.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I’m aware, there has never been an officially defined Martial Arts skill beyond Brawling Combat. Some character stats may have included it, but early character stats occasionally included skills without any official description (see Adar Tallon’s Starship Tactics). The write-up in RoE is the first instance I recall where actual rules for Martial Arts were actually spelled out.

ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rule book had a defined Martial Arts skill.

this is:

1. an editing error in rules of engagement.
2. the author perhaps confusing his long term house rules with official rules.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't one of the other source books show teras kai, earlier than rules of engagement??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Didn't one of the other source books show teras kai, earlier than rules of engagement??

That was in Shadows of the Empire. There was also the Noghri martial arts in the Thrawn trilogy SBs, but never a truly general martial arts skill.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder, if that was just an oversight?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

1E was simplistic enough that maybe they figured Brawling and Brawling Parry were enough.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great questions - and all point to why there are so many variations in house rules for martial arts.

I myself had been working on a version for my game - so had been chasing some of the same research.

Check out some of the various martial arts threads in the house rules section.

What I did with your specific questions;

Parry.
I merged the other combat skills (attack and parry) into one - so yes, I use only one for Brawling and Martial arts. Whatever you do, I would keep it consistent.

Unarmed penalty;
If they take the specialization martial arts under brawling, they are no longer considered unarmed.

Advanced Skill.
I created an advanced melee skill and put my more detailed martial arts abilities under that. This is a common house rule interpretation of the official material.

Damage
I believe the official damage is STR only.
I give STR+1D once they have the specialization, and some of the things under the advanced skill increase that.

My personal martial arts house rules are almost done - and will be posted later - but there are a few others in the house rules section.

best of luck in your game.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the “merge Brawling and Brawling Parry” thing initially, but the more I got into the details of varying types of martial arts, the more it made sense to keep them separate. Having separate skills makes it easier to differentiate between offensive and defensive styles, by placing more dice in one at the expense of the other. Aikido, for example, would have the majority of its dice in Brawling Parry and Melee Parry, with relatively little dice in Brawling itself.

I would also suggest that specializing in Martial Arts shouldn’t on its own count the character as Armed for the purposes of Melee defense. It’s still harder to defend against armed attacks even with training, but the training (represented by the easier skill advancement in Specialization) does give you more dice with which to work when defending.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

1E was simplistic enough that maybe they figured Brawling and Brawling Parry were enough.

Since martial arts are different though, why would they have figured that out.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I would also suggest that specializing in Martial Arts shouldn’t on its own count the character as Armed for the purposes of Melee defense. It’s still harder to defend against armed attacks even with training, but the training (represented by the easier skill advancement in Specialization) does give you more dice with which to work when defending.

I could see that for 'generic' martial arts. BUT certain ones imo, DO teach you to fight, vs armed folks.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I did the “merge Brawling and Brawling Parry” thing initially, but the more I got into the details of varying types of martial arts, the more it made sense to keep them separate. Having separate skills makes it easier to differentiate between offensive and defensive styles, by placing more dice in one at the expense of the other. Aikido, for example, would have the majority of its dice in Brawling Parry and Melee Parry, with relatively little dice in Brawling itself.

I certainly understand the logic of this from a simulationist viewpoint. Does combining brawling and brawling parry cause any other gameplay issues or does MAP help balance out when someone dumps dice into the one skill? I've noticed that since the lightsaber skill doubles as the parry skill, it can feel like other weapons are penalized. I've been trying to decide if I should try adding lightsaber parry or remove melee parry and brawling parry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: