The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers and maybe less of them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Powers and maybe less of them
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Force Powers and maybe less of them Reply with quote

I have been reading though a lot of force powers, and most of them as I see it are duplicates of another.

We have in our force compendiums, several similar illusions, be it stealthy or otherwise.

We have many besed one movement, basesd one senses of course

so I am thinking of reducing the amount of "duplicates" and allow a wider narrative disecription of each.

Telekinesis.....I would see this in the same "realm" as levitation, and distance manulipation.

I will most likely list them all, but I see inbue armor and enchant armor....why have them seperate when they do the same things, roll vs the same attributes ( here force skills alter , control and sesne being defaultable and thus "attributes")

I see this on a lot of powers, same with the variants of lightning, anything from differenc colors to electric judge ment, the "non evil" version.
while ALL can be controlled and used to kill or not killed by the user.

Now I am ranting...

So I will end this by asking about people's thoughts about reducing the "duplicate" powers.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR Version:
Yes.

Longer version:
As part of my house rules overhaul - one of the biggest motivators for me was the force and force powers.

For some of the reasons you mention - but also - too many dice rolls, too many prerequisites (you literally need a flow chart to map them out...yes, some fans have made them) etc.

Besides standardization, consolidation and simplification - I also wanted better power scaling, and a few more things (beyond the scope of t his post...maybe)

How this was done.
It literally took months - and I don't suggest everyone do a full scale overhaul - massive spreadsheets, notes, research, viso charts etc - and

Powers that were similar were consolidated, unless they had significantly different power levels.

All were reduced to a single roll - based upon the force skill (control, sense, alter) that was usually the highest difficulty. In many cases - where some Skills felt more critical - another skill was made to be a pre-requisite to learn the ability.

As part of my overall house rules - I am adopting advanced skills being gateways to specific abilities (as inspired by the martial arts advanced skill - where improving the Advanced Skill Martial Arts gives access to another ability) - following this - I converted my force powers into abilities under force power "advanced skills".

Force Powers as Advanced Skills
I built a number of these "Force Power Trees(A)" based on their theme - Enhancing the Body, Healing, Telekinesis, Energy Control etc.
Similar to martial arts, when a character learns a pip in the parent force power advanced skill, they learn one of the abilities (the abilities previously known as force powers Wink

Each list of abilities were organized into tiers - based on their strength and formerly listed pre-requisites. More simple powers were put on a lower tier, and more complex or stronger powers were placed on a higher tier.

Some abilities exist on under multiple powers - but possibly in different power tiers based on the theme (Heal Injury is Rank 1 on the Force Healing Advanced Skill tree - but on the second Rank on the Enhance Body).

The Skill rank of the advanced skill power - unlocks the tiers.
so Influence(A) of 1D, only gives access to Tier 1 abilities (like Dim Another Senses) but an Influence(A) of 3D gives access to Battle Meditation.

This all sounds complicated - and it was - to make (again, this took almost six months - and has been in playtest for about a year).

Here is a screen shot of some of the powers and how to read and understand them from my house rules document; It shows how my powers are arranged, and examples of how one ability (what I call powers now) is on more than one list...

Wait...whut?

Ok, so kind of got into more details than possibly desired, AND I had other goals other than just consolidation (simplifcation, power scaling, fatigue, dark side review, etc.).

In summary ; yes, merging the force powers is a good idea.
I mean - look how many exist around pain, healing, fatigue etc.

So, if you did not want to do a complete re-write (foolishly like I did) - then I would just merge a couple of them - sometimes with a bit or renaming.

For example - most of the abilities relating to resisting damage or the effects of damage (unconscious, or penalties etc.) - I merged into one - calling it 'Control Pain', and just expanded the effect. "This ability can be used as a normal Action, even before taking an injury, or used a Reaction to a highly damaging attack to ignore the pain related effects" It can be "kept up".

Anyway.... yes, they certainly can (and should, IMHO) be merged and edited...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterpoint: one of the biggest complaints about long-term campaigns is how Force user characters slope up in power, eventually overshadowing the other players. Having a proliferation of specialized Force powers is one way the RAW slows the power creep of Force users. If anything, house rules should lean the opposite direction. My personal solution (generally speaking) is to decrease the “power slope” so that Force using PCs progress more slowly, while also moving them several rungs up the ladder, so that they can be more useful in the beginning.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Counterpoint: one of the biggest complaints about long-term campaigns is how Force user characters slope up in power, eventually overshadowing the other players. Having a proliferation of specialized Force powers is one way the RAW slows the power creep of Force users. If anything, house rules should lean the opposite direction. My personal solution (generally speaking) is to decrease the “power slope” so that Force using PCs progress more slowly, while also moving them several rungs up the ladder, so that they can be more useful in the beginning.

Your counter point - is 100% valid - and includes many of the drivers for my house rules overhaul...
Smile

Here are (a few) of the ways I came up with...
1 - Power Slope - 100% AGREE!!!! My force powers are all easier to access at lower levels (the difficulties are effectively lower - as you don't have multiple rolls to make) BUT give lower bonuses - that scale. This allows for easier access at the low end, but NOT being overpowered at the high end. They all have a slow progression.

2 - Diversity - while I HAVE consolidated MANY force powers - I have also added a few more - based on various new sources etc. So yes, consolidated a bunch, but did add a few. My goal was to support ALL eras of play - over the decades - I have been in two campaigns set either in the clone wars, or earlier - in fact, my current group - is 100% force users (they chose that) - so, diversity of options is essential. I have 9 Force Power trees with three tiers of abilities on each (yes, there are a few duplicates - but this gives a diversity of things to spend).

3 - Advanced Skills for Non-Force Users - I have added more Advanced Skill Trees (like martial arts...) for non force users. This concept has come up multiple times over the years, both here on the pit and other places - (it was a LOT of threads to read...) some called them "talents" others like trees of "feats" - but you get the idea. I have been working on this on and off for about a year - and am almost done. But basically - similar to martial arts - there are multiple advanced skills which unlock special actions for non-force users.

Diplomats, Bounty Hunters, Scouts, Spycraft, Space Hounds, Scoundels - oh, and Martial Mastery (is martial arts with other melee stuff) etc.
Similar to martial arts - buy a rank in the advanced skill, get access to abilities. They all have about 12-18 options, arranged in 3 tiers.
(As part of my skill overhaul - I have removed all advanced skills like engineer - those are for NPCs. If a pc wants to have been a working technical professional in their background - then the gm has other options).
I have mentioned this a few times here and there on other posts....and almost done....almost.

I have also added in a lot of other social and group options - combined with all of the above (improved power slope on force users and a ton of options for non-force users) was all 100% designed exactly for the reasons you state.

Now - my force overhaul - besides the consolidation, simplification and power scaling - also includes ;
    Force as an Attribute (a common house rule) with Control, Sense and Alter as skills (yes, with other things balanced...).

Dark Side - Revamped the dark side rules to better match the last 30 years of star wars content, including how fear and anger tie in. That and allowing for ranges of character instead of just a "you are pure good or evil" measure.

Stress and Fatigue system to limit power use - this helps, as can not always count on the narrative story factor of needing to "hide" from inquisitors.

This is all part of my comprehensive house rules over haul - which I have been working on for about two years - and pestering all of the good folks here with questions and topics. Smile

Anyway - your point is 100% spot on, and were STRONG factors in my desire to revamp the force system....

Overall - I am about 75% done with my rules content (219 pages), and about 50% done with formatting and editing (110 pages fully done - but the typos never end...).

Soon I will be ready for a wider group effort on sharing and getting feedback, playtesting, editing etc. I just have to figure out the best way to do this...

thank you for your comment. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: