The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REUP set for. REfresh in 2024
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> REUP set for. REfresh in 2024 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Powers Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Don't want to start a poll. Just curious as to some feedback. How important would it be to have the Force Powers contained in The Tales of the Jedi Companion available in 2nd edition R&E.

Personally I never allowed/used most of them... Some were oddly specific (clearly addressing how the force was used in the comic). Yet, they are part of the WEG cannon.

So the question is, Would you like to see them in a digital edition of 2E R&E? And if so, as an appendix, or incorporated into "The Force" chapter?

That really depends - I mean, you had previously mentioned this new R&E "Remastered" is a more purist vesion - so once you start with "what bout adding this..." it becomes something different.

Don't get me wrong - I am 100% sure some folks want more stuff in it (hence why so many love reup), but I am also 100% sure some folks will love the purist vision you have thus presented.

So - maybe decide if you want it in an Appendix - that way you have your purist version, but extra stuff in the appendix. But that sounds like it could just become reup, with the extra stuff all in the appendix.

Honestly - as this is a huge passion project - do what YOU want.
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say leave it out. If someone wants to use those Force powers, that's what the TOTJ book is for. Like Pak said, "what about adding this" is a slippery slope. You gotta draw the line somewhere.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. Its much appreciated. Its so tempting to always want to do more. Helps me stay calibrated.

One thing I do not have the time (or desire) to do is remaster all of those great Ads in the book. In order to keep the page count consistent, I'm using that real estate to add some useful (and relevant to the chapter) charts and asides from the Gamemaster Screen.

I have plans (and already completed some chapters) to integrate the Star Wars Sourcebook material (minus the movie character stats and bios) into the Universe Section. That clearly will throw off the page count consistency in the last section.

I am only adding some of the ships and vehicles from the Gamemaster Screen... Keeping it lifted but more robust than R&E.

One issue I had back in the 90s is that I had the core but didn't have very many supplements... I wished I had a carrack cruiser or rebel assault frigate stat, but never owned the SBs... Maybe it's my nostalgia but I wanted to include the selection from the GM screen to flesh out the universe a little more....

Thoughts? Is this going to make this restoration feel a bit weird? Or would this be something you would like, or feel was a little lean in R&E?

Again thank you for your honesty opinions.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I feel that core rulebooks are a little slim on guns, gear, and ships. That's why they have all those nice supplements for you to buy. But I especially if this is a passion project rather than a product line, I think a few extra couldn't hurt.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Generally, I feel that core rulebooks are a little slim on guns, gear, and ships. That's why they have all those nice supplements for you to buy. But I especially if this is a passion project rather than a product line, I think a few extra couldn't hurt.

I agree with this. I think the biggest problem with this is "where to draw the line", but it would be interesting to give a look to this.

And... Thank you for the all the effort put in this project. Smile
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I agree with this. I think the biggest problem with this is "where to draw the line", but it would be interesting to give a look to this.

And... Thank you for the all the effort put in this project. Smile

I agree a good selection of gear is a good thing.

However, I also feel - that to sell more books - sometimes gear books get filled with a lot of minor variants of items - I mean - do we need 20 different blaster pistols? (yes, I exaggerate....slightly).

I would list a base item (the one from the main rules) and a few distinct variants at best - as a equipment section that is bloated - feels worse than one that is too slim.

But this is my perspective what I am working toward in my house rules - others may have very different points of view. To each - their own.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

However, I also feel - that to sell more books - sometimes gear books get filled with a lot of minor variants of items - I mean - do we need 20 different blaster pistols?

Shhh.... Gundark's Fantastic Technology will hear you!
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

However, I also feel - that to sell more books - sometimes gear books get filled with a lot of minor variants of items - I mean - do we need 20 different blaster pistols? (yes, I exaggerate....slightly).

I would list a base item (the one from the main rules) and a few distinct variants at best - as a equipment section that is bloated - feels worse than one that is too slim.

Hi again! I agree with this. There is no need for a list with every and single blaster pistol. Laughing
I meant that, maybe, more diversity in gear or armor would be something I'd like to see. But, as you say, it's a matter of taste. Personally I would not be able to "draw the line" to avoid the 20 variants of blasters, or discerning which gear should be included or which not. Laughing

Cheshire wrote:
Shhh.... Gundark's Fantastic Technology will hear you!

Hahaha!
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually counted. If you're talking pistols and not rifles and carbines, it's 18.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Actually counted. If you're talking pistols and not rifles and carbines, it's 18.

HK-47's Targeting System precision Laughing Laughing
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious notes on the gear - I would suggest something like - if there are already at least two examples - don't need another.

BUT - when there is a category of gear that is not in the book (like hover boots or something) I would add at least one if there were. The diversity of gear is sometimes more important than the variants.

(especially if there is a note for the gm that they can make up variations).
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tentative list. Equipment and weapons are mostly stock with a few examples of modified versions. I'm intentionally veering away from missile launchers and flame throwers due to the extra rules (e.g. flamethrower skill).

Vehicles, Starfighters, Space Transports, Capital Ships would contain a few extras from the imperial and rebel sourcebooks. (rebel assault cruiser, carrack cruiser, skipray blast boat etc .)

I've written the planets chapter. Just examples from the movies but I added starport stat block definitions from Platts. And Cloud City is the only starport listed.

Creatures just adds stuff from the Star Wars Sourcebook.

GM Characters is expanded with generic extras from the Sourcebook.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and when I say "I've written" that's incorrect. I copied and pasted verbatim from the 2E R&E and SW Sourcebook. I would call this an editing and graphic design project, not a new approach to the rules. I don't want R&R to be like REUP. Its not an encyclopedia or my opinion of how the rules could be tweaked (Which is what REUP was when I edited it 10 years ago). I truly want R&R to be a document that is purely WEG Star Wars D6 R&E... But without the restriction of a publisher. So we can squeeze a little more classic WEG flavor into it... But I don't want to bloat it.

REUP got some hate because it was gluttonous. I admit it was very much overboard and more time should have been spent editing, less time on plugging in prequel and EU stat blocks. I'm still very proud of it. REUP is really cool for what it is... But I got a big head and it shouldn't have been as apocryphal as it turned out to be.

I'm not trying to do the same thing here. That's why I'm so sensitive about boating the book
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Oh and when I say "I've written" that's incorrect. I copied and pasted verbatim from the 2E R&E and SW Sourcebook. I would call this an editing and graphic design project, not a new approach to the rules. I don't want R&R to be like REUP. Its not an encyclopedia or my opinion of how the rules could be tweaked (Which is what REUP was when I edited it 10 years ago). I truly want R&R to be a document that is purely WEG Star Wars D6 R&E... But without the restriction of a publisher. So we can squeeze a little more classic WEG flavor into it... But I don't want to bloat it.

REUP got some hate because it was gluttonous. I admit it was very much overboard and more time should have been spent editing, less time on plugging in prequel and EU stat blocks. I'm still very proud of it. REUP is really cool for what it is... But I got a big head and it shouldn't have been as apocryphal as it turned out to be.

I'm not trying to do the same thing here. That's why I'm so sensitive about boating the book

Cannot imagine the amount of work you put in all of this.

Personally: loved REUP and all the care put in edition. My full colour printed version stands next to R&E in my room.

About your approach to this refresh. I like the idea and I understand what you mean. I'm sure it will look great!
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneak Peak

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fjkz2mb9jirv521we8i5k/Capture.PNG?rlkey=t6qbcsumvp472czguetuxw9xu&dl=0
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: