The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Weapons Reply with quote

Is there any concrete reference in 2nd Edition to the much debated theory that a lightsaber parrying a melee weapon cuts it in half?
I'd say that's a little extreme, because frankly just making a called shot against the weapons should be sufficient for the power of lightsabers cutting through things. I mean those people fighitng against lightsabers wouldn't be using normal attack styles when they're fully aware that the blade cuts through anything.

Second, I can't make heads or tails of the crew listing on weapons for capital ships. For example on Star Destroyers,
Tractor Beam Projectors are 6 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right
Crew: 1(2) ,4(2), 10(6)

What the heck does that mean? If the number in parenthesis are those who can coordinate, what does that mean? Does it take ten shots at +2d6 each, 4 at +2, and one at +2?

Same thing for turbolaser batteries

20 Front, 20 Left, 20 Right
Crew: 1(20), 2(40)

Or does it mean you need one NPC Crewman to equal 20 combined actions ( a gunnery officer or something) and then 2 to equal 40?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Wea Reply with quote

I don't know about the lightsaber, but I can help with the other

TarlSS wrote:

Second, I can't make heads or tails of the crew listing on weapons for capital ships. For example on Star Destroyers,
Tractor Beam Projectors are 6 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right
Crew: 1(2) ,4(2), 10(6)

What the heck does that mean?

It means out of the Tractor Beams 6 of them have a front fireing arc, 2 a left fireing arc and 2 a right firing arc.
The crew breaks down to 1 Gunner per projector for 2 projectors, 4 Gunners per projector for other 2 projectors, 10 Gunners per projector for remaining 6 projectors

Why? I have no idea.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Wea Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
Is there any concrete reference in 2nd Edition to the much debated theory that a lightsaber parrying a melee weapon cuts it in half?

In the section about lightsabers and parrying. Parrying a brawling attack with a lightsaber results in the attacker taking damage...parrying a melee attack with a lightsaber results in the weapon taking damage...and parrying a lightsaber with anything but a lightsaber is inefective.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Capital Ship Crew Listings and Lightsabers Vs. Melee Wea Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
...and parrying a lightsaber with anything but a lightsaber is inefective.

Well, unless you want to take the extremely overpowered minerals of Cortosis or MandalMetal into account, that is...but I wouldn't use them in my game.

Though...I wonder if a personal shield, designed to deflect blasters, would also stave off a lightsaber for a few short seconds? Something to consider, at least.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the page where it details lightsaber parrying with that particular rule in either R&E or Standard? Could you show it to me? It's like I have to batter my players over with a book.

Also, I imagine Ray Shields and Force-pikes deflect lightsabers like they do in EP3. So A Jedi-hunting Bounty hunter could probably run around with a shield and sword with similiar effects.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
I can't find the page where it details lightsaber parrying with that particular rule in either R&E or Standard? Could you show it to me? It's like I have to batter my players over with a book.

The regular second edition book has no index, and I do not feel like digging through every page looking for lightsaber references.
Second R&E: Lighsabers- 39, 89, 90, 148, 228 also read the chapter on melee combat.
The Sourcebook has an entire chapter on Lightsabers.
You shouldn't have to beat you players over the head, you are the GM. You can fall back on the rule of common sense: "If the weapon can injure the wielder on a failed roll, cut through blast doors, and sever limbs, then your Gaffii stick is cut in half."
First edition states the rule quite clearly. What it says is this:
Star Wars - The Role Playing Game wrote:
•The only thing that can be used to parry a lightsaber is another lightsaber. A character using any other melee weapon can not parry when fighting an opponent with a lightsaber.
• A lightsaber can be used to parry other melee weapons...if the attackers roll is greater than the difficulty for his melee weapon, but less than the modified difficulty number, his weapon is destroyed (cut in half vy the lightsaber).
• When a lightsaber is used to parry a brawling attack...the attacker is wounded (The lightsaber has cut him).

I do not see why this information would be excluded from Second Edition or Second Edition R&E. Keep in mind, that with first edition, all parries and dodges worked the way Full parries and dodges work in Second (i.e. you add your roll to the difficulty). The partial Parry/dodge was a convention of the Rules Companion and Second Edition.

Quote:
Also, I imagine Ray Shields and Force-pikes deflect lightsabers like they do in EP3. So A Jedi-hunting Bounty hunter could probably run around with a shield and sword with similiar effects.

Although no where under force pike does it say that it can parry a lightsaber, I suppose weapons such as this that employ "Power Field" type technology could feasibly parry a lightsaber. Certainly, as mentioned earlier, Mandalmetal would have a better chance, and Sith blades were made for this. Unusual items and materials might fair differently as well. A personal energy shield or force shield would absolutely be able to defend against a lightsaber, usually they add to the users strength to resist damage.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure if they were Force Pikes as described in WEG so far, but they certainly parried lightsabers. Gungan energy shields can also parry lightsabers and blaster bolts, ironically enough. (Bad gungans.)

Other than that first edition statement, I can't find a reference to lightsabers cutting melee weapons automatically as a parry. I looked in 2nd R&E, 2nd plain, Star Wars Sourcebook, Tales of the Jedi, Dark Empire Sourcebook, or Jedi Academy. I'm reasonably sure they omitted it for game balance. Bill Slavicsek, the only design man on Star Wars RPG throughout it's entire development cycle, seems to show the trend. In 2nd Edition the rule is omitted, and in D20 the whole issue as resolved as not happening altoghether. I think requiring a called shot to sever the weapon (Not that difficult anyway) should be quite sufficient in proving lightsaber superiority as it were.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the write-ups that involve The Great Jedi Purge when Palpatine had much of the galaxy rallied against the "Jedi Traitors" that wounded him involve a lot of creativity on the part of Jedi Hunters, most of whom were Mandalorians with a full arsenal of over-powered weapons and the kind of fanatical devotion that can only come from a history where who you are hunting are the ones you blame for the loss of your planet, your culture, and everything in life you know you deserve.

When facing someone with a Light-Saber, first, back off. If they know what you they doing, conventional off-the-shelf methods will not work.
If they have no idea how to use a Light-Saber... they will kill themselves just fine.

Ok, phase two young my young hunter, you tossed a stun grenade at this guy and he deftly hacked it without killing himself. He is a Jedi. Your Vibro-Blade isn;t good enough and he will block every-blaster shot.
You are wearing MandalMetal armor, no one can produce it and you must take good care of it. Walk up to him, he claims he can hack at you and you say try it, look at him rave dance with his glow stick, you are fine. Now, take your fist and beat the living crap out of him.

Chapter Two: So you have no MandalMetal

YOU IDIOT!
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lightsaber cutting through a melee weapon is a common sense thing. If it can cut through blast doors, AT-STs, etc, then a melee weapon blocking it should take damage. If it was omittied from 2nd, which I find dubious, I doubt it was for game balance in any way. Also, Bill Slavicsek was not the only design man on the development of the Star Wars RPG, despite propaganda to the contrary. Just take a gander at the various credits in various different books. However, if you must have a specific rule in second edition to support damaging weapons, how about the specific rule that mentions damaging weapons? If a lightsaber blade hit's a melee weapon, be it via parry or attack, roll the blades damage, and the resistance for the object as mentioned in that rule. Further, if someone wielding a lightsaber misses the base difficulty by 10 and rolls damage against himself, it is only reasonable to apply the same concept to someone attacking a lightsaber wielder...i.e., if the lightsaber wielder parries, and the attacker misses his new difficulty by 10 he should absolutely take damage, as he has contacted the blade.

The very fact that d20 prohibits lightsabers from damaging on a parry just shows how flawed the system is, as it throws common sense right out the window.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A parry might not be an attempt to block an attack, it could be an counter attack, making it a foolish descision to carry on with the origional attack.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
A parry might not be an attempt to block an attack, it could be an counter attack, making it a foolish descision to carry on with the origional attack.

Yes, but even so, the rule of 10 stands to reason for even the attacker vs. someone with a lightsaber, as maybe he was too far into his swing already. Same for brawl. But if you say that Lightsabers can only cut weapons on a called shot, then you allow people to parry lightsabers with regular swords, clubs, vibroblades, and even bare hands. This just isn't good sense, and is not in the spirit of lightsabers. Parrying a lightsaber or being parried by a lightsaber with anything but a lightsaber should involve the risk of injury from the blade, especially if the wielder can injure himself, otherwise you make the weapon far less effective and more trouble that it's worth. The spirit of the rules were clear in first edition, are clear in the trilogy, and in almost all EU material. Lightsabers cut through regular weapons. Why this was ommitted from 2nd edition is beyond me, but perhaps it was as with other ommission, they merely asumed it was common sense and need not be stated. Every official game I had attended in the 90s, even after second edition was released, still had lightsabers injure or cut through weapons on a parry or when parried.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu is right. It makes no sense for a lightsaber to damage absolutely everything under all circumstances, EXCEPT a weapon it parries. Why is it capable of cutting all things BUT the wooden club you swung at the Jedi?

The Jedi also has to be careful about cutting himself. That is the balancing factor which they omit in D20 in favor of the possibility that everyone can kill themselves evenly.

No, a Jedi is using a weapon that cannot even be wielded like a normal Melee weapon, it is a diffrent skill. Anyone picks up a Lightsaber and swings badly, they usually kill themselves.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Argamoth wrote:

Yes, but even so, the rule of 10 stands to reason for even the attacker vs. someone with a lightsaber, as maybe he was too far into his swing already. Same for brawl. But if you say that Lightsabers can only cut weapons on a called shot, then you allow people to parry lightsabers with regular swords, clubs, vibroblades, and even bare hands. This just isn't good sense, and is not in the spirit of lightsabers. Parrying a lightsaber or being parried by a lightsaber with anything but a lightsaber should involve the risk of injury from the blade, especially if the wielder can injure himself, otherwise you make the weapon far less effective and more trouble that it's worth. The spirit of the rules were clear in first edition, are clear in the trilogy, and in almost all EU material. Lightsabers cut through regular weapons. Why this was ommitted from 2nd edition is beyond me, but perhaps it was as with other ommission, they merely asumed it was common sense and need not be stated. Every official game I had attended in the 90s, even after second edition was released, still had lightsabers injure or cut through weapons on a parry or when parried.

While i do see your point, kage, i do agree, parries are IMO not just blocking the weapon. They also include other things like ducking under (or away) from the blow, slapping the hand/arm with the weapon to the side, etc. That, and if you make it to only someone with a LS can parry a LS, then imo you unbalance combat, majorly towards those jedi (or dark jedi).. This is why, i do agree, brawl and melee parry should still be allowed against lightsaber attacks, though i could see allowing the +10 penalty they assign to a brawler parrying melee attacks to apply to a brawler or meleer parrying a lightsaber...
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, as I use it, parry is, quite simply, using a weapon to block another weapon. If someone wanted to duck out of the way, they would use Dodge, as anyone could duck out of the way, weapon or no.

Now, you do make a good point about using parry in other ways besides actually striking the weapon itself. Here's how I would work it, with the +10 penalty you just assigned already having taken action:

Melee Parry Roll > LS Roll: Melee Parry successfully moves lightsaber out of range, places LS user in compromising position. +10 to Melee Combat roll next round.

Melee Parry Roll = LS Roll: Melee Parry moves lightsaber out of range, preventing the attack, but gives no advantage to either party.

Melee Parry Roll < LS Roll: Lightsaber manages to damage weapon; roll LS damage against weapon's body code.

Melee Parry Roll + 5 < LS Roll: Lightsaber manages to make contact with the attacker's hand; roll LS damage against opponent's strength. Damage of Incapacitated or higher slices the hand off, and gives opponent a wound.

Melee Parry Roll + 10 < LS Roll: Melee Parry is unsuccessful, roll damage normally.

This could be similarily used with brawling parries, except the +5 result becomes the +10 result, and the simple fail becomes the +5 result, as there is no weapon to buffer a brawler. One could also use it for lightsaber battles, assuming the attack and parry are established, and of course without the +10 penalty.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minus the idea posted directly above, I see the following facts said here:

A lightsabre can not be parried by a weapon
A lightsabre can not be parried with brawling
A lightsabre can only be stopped by a lightsabre or equiptment which is not allowed by GMS

And from the book:
Dodge can only be used against range attacks.

So, do you just stand there and take the lightsabre, or try to delay it by losing all your weapons? I say you dodge. I know that dodge is meant for ranged attacks, but hey, you have to have SOME way of keeping alive against a lightsabre.

Also, if you have to throw up a waepon as defense against a lightsabre, and miss by just a bit (say by 5 or so) then the weapon is dead, but it's body stength is treated as armour.

My two cents.

~T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: