The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Falling Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Falling Damage Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would someone please repeat the official falling damage rule or tell me where to find it. For some reason i canīt find it.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-6 meters, 1d damage.

12 meters, 2d

18 meters, 3d.

Increase by 1d damage every 6 meters, which is 20 feet, which is two stories of the average building.

Maximum damage for falling in normal gravity (1G) is 18D. Upon reaching terminal velocity you cannot fall any faster by the gravity pulling you, and will only take 18d damage.

And I am still pissed at my GM for throwing 26d of falling damage at me that one time... I want my damn force point back.
to finance my 'vette!
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want my d*mn force point back.

You would not have needed the force point if it were "only" 18D damage? Shocked
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I climbed a 10 story building... 5d damage if you fall off of it, not always death, definitely maiming.

I got a 1 while trying to jump. Instead of just a penalty, with no mention ever of me not making a difficulty number or what, just the fact that the wild die was a 1 was reason enough for me to be falling like a rock rather than jumping in any form.
Totally forgot the rules about penalties and complications.

Than the buildings height was undetermined. I tried reminding him it was 10 stories, he hotly denied (threw a tantrum about it) that it could have been less than 15 stories. So he roll a couple dice, added them to fifteen, came up with the building being 26 stories.

Than he decided that every story was a dice of damage. Not just decided, but that was backed up by another player who knew what the real rule was, but for some reason was being a lousy piece of s*** for no reason other than to harm his fellow party members.

But wait, it gets worse, after spending 8 character points and than a force point to survive the fall, barely, he tries to imply that "something" bad still had to happen to me. Took a bit of coercing, but I managed to convince him that succeeding the role by more than 12 (which isn't a lot when average would have beaten me by more than 12, I got lucky) was enough to survive with no ill effect, aside from the crater in the ground I still had to dig myself out of.

Next week he insists that the building had ALWAYS been 15 stories, at all times... which doesnt explain why he rolled 26 dice.

A few months later he manages to admit that he seriously f*** up that night... but still has yet to give me back my force point and my character points.
to finance my 'vette!
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3-6 meters, 1d damage.

12 meters, 2d

18 meters, 3d.

Increase by 1d damage every 6 meters, which is 20 feet, which is two stories of the average building.

Hmm, sounds good, but how about this simple rule:

1 pip pr. meter

I know it makes falling just a bit more dangerrous, but it is simple and not too much, i think.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gollummen wrote:

Hmm, sounds good, but how about this simple rule:

1 pip pr. meter

I know it makes falling just a bit more dangerrous, but it is simple and not too much, i think.

You know what...that's almost what I use. I actually upped it, though, to 1D per meter "fallen". Easy to calculate, and removes the idiocy of "I'm falling off a 5 story building. I've got 4D Strength and I'm spending two Character Points. Since I only have to resist 3D damage, I'll survive easily and walk away without a scratch."

In my game, fall 5 stories (16 meters) and take 16D damage.

Jumping that distance, or being able to prepare for impact, reduces the damage. So therefore, some guy jumping from a 3rd story window, and trying to land decently, won't have to roll against a full 10D damage. Instead, I have him roll his DEX to see how well he timed the landing and rolled with the impact. Good rolls might reduce it up to 5D. Someone falling, though, hasn't got control of themselves, so is going to land very awkwardly and very painfully.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crunched some numbers... 3d vs 6d... in most cases, stunned results still occur, which I would enforce as being pretty bad for falling 5 stories.
to finance my 'vette!
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
stunned results still occur, which I would enforce as being pretty bad for falling 5 stories.

Ehh..if you fall 5 stories in the real world you die.
Maybe you are "lucky" and just end up really handicapped.

I know that is not what Star Wars is about, because those are heroes, but I think that 1 pip pr. meter is not overkill.

5 stories = 15 meters (?) = 5D
"Ordenary" persons (2D strength) would be incapacitated.
I think that is fair.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if you have strength maxed to the limit AND are using a bit of force/skill/whatever you think character points are to increase it even further, than the situation is not normal.

So going by the rules, 5 stories being 3d kills most people, but not all. And if you just so happen to have incredible strength and amazing skill, you survive... what is unrealistic about that?
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3-6 meters, 1d damage.

12 meters, 2d

18 meters, 3d.

Maximum damage for falling in normal gravity (1G) is 18D. Upon reaching terminal velocity you cannot fall any faster by the gravity pulling you, and will only take 18d damage.

I thought it was different. I will look in my 2nd ed R&E book when i get home...

Quote:
But wait, it gets worse, after spending 8 character points and than a force point to survive the fall

Come again!?!?! Shocked Shocked Your gm let you spend 8CP AND a force point in the same round??!?! That is just insane.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was new to the system, he was not, but he was being an idiotic @$$h0le* that night. I didn;t know the rules for falling or the rules for spending CP and FPs... and I still want my damn force point back.
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So going by the rules, 5 stories being 3d kills most people, but not all. And if you just so happen to have incredible strength and amazing skill, you survive... what is unrealistic about that?

It would be 5d damage, actually. That means for an average human (2d strength, lets say), that is an average roll of beating his strength by 13-14 points, which is what, mortally wounded? Someone falls off a 5 story building, and they are strong (steel worker, 3d str), the safe money bet is that they are going to be dead, even though the game says on average, he would be beat by 7 (wounded, correct?).

I know that a fall even from one story onto a hard surface (as the falling damage is calculated for) can cause some good damage to a human body, though the book rules state that any fall from 2 stories or less has a 83.3% chance of not even being stunned. That means there is a 7 out of 8 chance that joe shmoe would fall off of a building (straight fall, no trying to land softly or safely), and could take an action uninhibited.

I think anything under 2 stories requires a dex roll to see if you need to roll for damage or not, add more damage if they can't 'fall smart', and up the damage somehow.

Boomer, for your GM that messed up:
I can see how if you jsut did a straight fall, you would take damage anyways. But with 8 cp and a force point, I'm pretty sure you grabbed onto the side of the building, used a knife to slow you down, aimed your body onto overhangs to slow yourself down, etc. If I were GMing, I would have been descriptive of how you landed, rather than "Ok, you beat my roll. Good job."

~Tahlorn
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but if you have strength maxed to the limit AND are using a bit of force/skill/whatever you think character points are to increase it even further, than the situation is not normal.

This is correct. There are cases where it wouldn't be "normal," or would be, depending on the circumstances. Someone with some acrobatic or gymnast skills could take a greater fall than someone who didn't have said skills.

Also, it could be argued that someone like a Wookiee who regularly is climbing and swinging should be used to the occasional mishap, say, falling from fifty or seventy meters up, and would therefore have a better chance of breaking their fall somehow, falling "smart," or perhaps simply surviving it, albeit not entirely in one piece...

[/quote]
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. And despite the frequency we hear of falling deaths, there are quite a few (usually unfortunate) survivals from incredible heights. People surviving 10-100 story (100 to 1000ft) falls in skydiving mishaps actually makes it seem highly unlikely a strong and skilled person is gauranteed death from a 5 story or less fall.

So, yes, my GM screwed up royally.

Falls are painful, but not often fatal. Wounded, mortally wounded, incapacitated, all of those results should be more common than instant death. Because, unfortunately, those tend to be the results people suffer in real life. Horrible, horrible results.

My GM wants to inflict pain upon us but has no imagination for it. Fortunately, he shall know the meaning of pain in the campaign I run. It is all happy go lucky "Starship Import Tuner" right now. But he has no idea it is a "Call of Pomojema" campaign.

Who needs a sanity meter when the player is going insane.
to finance my 'vette!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hardly say that there are "quite a few" instances of people surviving falls from incredible heights. Those cases you hear are extraordinary, and simply overshadow the many, many cases you hear of people dying from unopened chutes or slips off bridges, or dives off buildings.

Really, though, it up to the GM whether they want to have the falling damage be more "realistic" or more cinematic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: