The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GG6 Supply & Demand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> GG6 Supply & Demand Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: GG6 Supply & Demand Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a smuggler/freighter captain in my current adventure who wants to make it big. He owes his loan shark over 500,000 credits for his ship, payable in 30 installments of 18,000 each. So, I decide to peruse the Tramp Freighters guide to refresh my memory and start piecing together some plot pieces. I'm thinking he might hear some older freighter captain talking about how there's money to be made in speculative trading, off the beaten path. Reading through the book, about different technology levels and goods, there are numerous worlds where it states that a trader who first finds such a civilization might make a killing selling repulsorlifts, droids, and other high tech items.

Now, I flip to the back of the books, and check out the supply and demand charts and see that for High tech Items, the only two world types with a supply sell them at 6000 and 5700 credits per ton, respectively. On the world with the Highest demand, they will only buy them for 2640 credits per ton. So, does anyone else have a problem with this? Given what's said about the book, and looking at the rest of the chart, this one row seems to be grossly unbalanced, and I can't help but think to myself "this must be a typo, right?"
So, how exactly does a tramp freighter captain make a killing buying something at 5700 credits per ton when the best price to sell is 2640...a net loss of 3060 credits a ton?

I realize the charts are just guidelines, but this strikes me as serious out of order.

Opinions?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont quite understand... but you shouldn't buy the item and sell it on the same planet...

buy it from a worthless planet and sell it to a hightech planet... or the other way around
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about buying and selling on the same planet. I am pointing out that the only two planet types on the chart that sell high tech goods charge between 5700 and 6000 credits per ton. Where as the planet type with the highest demand for high tech goods on that chart only pays 2640 per metric ton, which seems to be a gross imbalance or typo on that table as throughtout the chapter on speculative trading it says trading in high tech goods to lower tech planets is a way to make a killing. But using the Supply and Demand table it recommends as a guideline, that is clearly not possible, as you would lose about 2460 credits per ton traded. So that entry on the chart has to be a typo right?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's a typo. Not that I can provide too much help here, but I do have a WotC assesory that is a smugglers chart designed like their D&D magic items chart. Helpful for creating BS for smugglers to carry and such. Also helpful for when PC's are getting to raid ships.....for good or bad intention. If you don't already have it, want it?

Like I said, not helping you with this, but perhaps helpful for a similar purpose?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, is it available from there website? I could use it in helping set up some sub plots for my smuggler/freighter captain. Asuming the players survive their current predicament.

As for this particular question, I'm just trying to see if anyone else noticed this, and if other feel it is a typo too.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i see... they are selling for 6k and buying for 2.5k? what its saying is the highest amount you will pay is 6k and then you take it somewhere else and sell it.... not lose all your stuff because its unbalanced
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was available from their website, I don't have the location bookmarked. I can send the file over you send it latter tonight or I can use MSN messenger to send it now.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have MSN messenger, so I'll have to wait. Or I can go find it on the website, it's cool.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, had noticed that little dilemma that you mention. At one time, I actually read an official explanation of the whole thing, but I can't remember where it was or what it said. I'd simply suggest flip flopping the numbers, as it does seem like a problem.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the price YOU PAY FOR ONE NEW VEHICLE, and the price TO SELL ONE OF YOUR USED VEHICLES.

It is in no way a New-to-new trade price. Plus, both assume that each world in question is Hyperspace capable.

It isn't a typo, it is an omission. They never actually say how to make money off such a scheme, and only present a table for a normal economic situation one character will find himself in with one vehicle at a time.

More of a case of bad editing. Which WEG does a lot.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's messed up, is what it is. I'd suggest hunting up a price list from Wing Commander Privateer and adjusting that to your preference.

Actually, I just remembered where it is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/564586.html

If the prices seem low, kick 'em up by a factor of 10, and call it a day. 60-200 Credits for a Metric Ton of Grain at an agrocultural planet sounds about right. They got it out the wazoo there, and you can sell it on a Mining Platform for 200-260 after the 10X kicker.

Just remember that the ship needs to pay for docking. And maintence. And repairs.

And something to kill the smell after the Wookiee has used the Fresher after a *BIG* Mexican Dinner.

Last edited by Ray on Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our modules for sparks, called traders run, actually had a nice chart within it for cost of stuff, time from planet X to Y etc... IMO well better than the chart in GG6..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Ray, would you mind copy and pasting that text into the body of a post. The URL you provided lead to a great big "naughty-naughty" message about linking from an external site.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
That is the price YOU PAY FOR ONE NEW VEHICLE, and the price TO SELL ONE OF YOUR USED VEHICLES.

It is in no way a New-to-new trade price. Plus, both assume that each world in question is Hyperspace capable.

It isn't a typo, it is an omission. They never actually say how to make money off such a scheme, and only present a table for a normal economic situation one character will find himself in with one vehicle at a time.

I find it extremely unlikely that this is the case with these prices given the book is aimed at, and addresses the trade of bulk goods as well as drop shipments, and no where in it does it refer to the one vehicle price you mention. I find it much more likely that it is a typo of some sort. Also, the chart does not asume all worlds are hyperspace capable, as it is mentioned as a guide for running a bulk goods campaign, and discusses undiscovered or none well occupied worlds.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one of those times when you just have to make something up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: