The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New templates...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New templates... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
General comment – a number of the templates get a free specialization. Given all the discussion on how specialization works in the RAW, are you house ruling specializations in a different way or is this just the equivalent of 1/3 extra dice at character creation?

For the way i am with spec, i normally (HOME GAMES) allow 2d to be used of your starting 7d to purchase spec (so 6)... ergo the extra spec(s) are on top of. BUT one or two specs for free imo is not outrageous.

Quote:
1000 credits seems like a lot of cash coming from a pre-space society. It also seems like it would encourage immediate purchase of modern weapons or equipment which seems contrary to the double CP cost to learn space age skills. Now if the cash was for spending on archaic equipment before leaving the planet with a smaller cash reserve I’d like it better. Alternately if the player doesn’t actually know the value of his “treasure” until it is properly assessed on the galactic market that could also be interesting.

More for the latter (its valued at, which means on a sucky roll he can get far less) but most PSM's i have had usually used it to purchase more firearm stuff (or grenades/armor). Only one ever saved it for purchasing futuristic tech... a speederbike!!

Quote:
Since specialization increases separately from base skill, a single specialization at character creation does not seem to balance the significant (and interesting) penalty of “Double CP cost to "LEARN" space age skills.” I’d tone down the disadvantage or beef up the advantage.

Interesting thought. Most everyone else though (in game) has loved it. IYO what would be a good 'aditional benefit to offset it.?

Quote:
Ships Doctor
You didn’t list (A) medicine as a starting skill. It should be on the list for a doctor. I’d adjust Special benefits/penalties to “2d for every 1d initially placed in first aid or medicine. Which is a big advantage balanced by the “If takes a life, even in self-defense, earns an instant DSP” penalty. I would also specify that the character is Force Sensitive, so that accumulating DSPs is really a bad thing.

I’d eliminate the following – “Can only use weapons, which stun or incapacitate” as unnecessary since the player, if smart, will do that anyway rather than risk accumulating DSPs. Besides the dramatic value of use the deadly weapon to save yourself or your friends but risk killing someone or stand by your principles and *not* pick up the weapon is too interesting

They do have half cost to learn it, which imo was enough... but if any one else wishes to chime in agreeing with you, i will correct that. On the weapon part. Never looked at it that way. Will have to give it some consideration.

Quote:
Wilderness Guide
Given that the character is said to “send back the money you earn to keep the family happy, and prosperous......” I would reduce starting cash of 750 credits significantly

To what??

Quote:
Disowned spoilt rich kid - This is an interesting character. I would also consider making the rich kid a Remittance Man where the family pays to have him/her stay away from home by making periodic payments (quarterly, annually, whatever).

He is disowned.. been kicked out/banished for some "crime or slight to the family's honor". Paying him a stipened would not be in keeping with something like that.

Quote:
Natural Pilot
Playing music is hysterical. It must be loud and dramatic music.

I forgot i still had that in here. Everywhere else i have dropped that.. too many thought it was a crass attempt to imatate the film Iron Eagle.

But thanks for your comments.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up comments -
Quote:
For the way i am with spec, i normally (HOME GAMES) allow 2d to be used of your starting 7d to purchase spec (so 6)... ergo the extra spec(s) are on top of. BUT one or two specs for free imo is not outrageous.

I wasn't suggesting it was outrageous. More the reverse. It seemed too modest. I would probably have done something more like 2-for-1 dice for a set of appropriate skills.
Quote:
Interesting thought. Most everyone else though (in game) has loved it. IYO what would be a good 'aditional benefit to offset it.?

I might have done a 2-for-1 D at character creation for selected archaic skills.
Quote:
To what??

Say 100-250 credits worth of furs, trade goods, etc.
Quote:
He is disowned.. been kicked out/banished for some "crime or slight to the family's honor". Paying him a stipened would not be in keeping with something like that.

Yeah, I got that. I was proposing an alternate background like that of Alexi Panshin's Panshin's character Anthony Villiers (Star Well, The Thurb Revolution, and Masque World), also see Dark Side Remittance Men at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittance.

Quote:
I forgot i still had that in here. Everywhere else i have dropped that.. too many thought it was a crass attempt to imatate the film Iron Eagle.
I was thinking Top Gun, but it may be a generational thing. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top gun did not have the pilots playing music.....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured i would resurrect this one, since it lists most of my home made templates for our new folk to critique.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ships Doctor
DEX 2d
brawl parry, dodge, melee, melee parry, running
KNOW 4d
Alien species, cultures, languages, planetary systems, scholar, willpower
MECH 2d+2
Communications, sensors, starship shields
PER 3d+1
Bargain, investigations, persuasion, search
STR 2d
Brawl, lift, stamina
TECH 4d
Computer programming/repair, droid programming/repair, first aid.

Starting equipment: 3 datapads - containing many notes on first aid and medicine, tool box with various first aid instruments, back pack containing 10 med packs, comlink, medical scanner, stun baton (str+1d 5d stun), 1000 credits standard.

Special benefits/penalties: 2d for every 1d initially placed in first aid. Half the CP cost to learn (A) medicine. If takes a life, even in self-defense, earns an instant DSP. Can only use weapons, which stun or incapacitate
Ship doctor
Blood was not a shock to you, when you saw pictures of the clone wars, and other battles. Your family had all been doctors, and medics. Heck, even your older sister, worked as an EMT at her school. SO your path was chosen for you. You went to school, spending many long years, learning the secrets of saving a life. You spent a summer sabbatical, studying the life on Ithor. Your dedication to keeping life is sacred, even if you die, you will not take another’s life. But that does not stop you from throwing them around, or popping a limb or two out of joint.
The a-typical book-savvy caregiver. You treasure life over material worth. You try to help all those in need, and often get your friends hating you for your actions, but they all are thankful that you are there, when combat ends....

I like the concept.

Considering the prejudice again droids in many parts of the galaxy, you would expect to see more flesh and blood medical professionals.

While I agree with the intent of the special abilities, I would be handle them slightly differently. First off, since they are a doctor, they should have medicine at character creation. Secondly, the weapon limitation seems out of place in Star Wars.

Medical Training: During Character creation the player must spend at least 1 skill die each on both First Aid and Medicine.
Do No Harm The character has sworn to preserve life. Should the character take the life of another sentient being, even in self defense, they are immediately awarded a Dark Side Point.

Starting equipment: 3 datapads seems excessive. Data crystals in the Star Wars universe have mind boggling capacity.

Datapad containing extensive medical database

Tool box, with various first aid instruments, and medical scanner

Tool Box just sounds wrong. Medkit sounds better. Also, toolkits and scanners in Star Wars usually provide a +1D skill bonus when used.

Medkit - Provides+1D bonus to First Aid rolls

I'd ditch the stun baton, for a non lethal gun of some sort. Otherwise they need to be a Doctor who's good a clubbing people, which just seems off to me.

The Sleep Inducer from Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology, page 76, would be perfect for this. Non Lethal, and they could use it tranquilize their patients. It's more of a tool of the trade instead of a weapon for the Doctor.

Quote:

Sleep Inducer
Model: Pacnorval Defense Systems, Limited SIL-50
Type: Sleep inducing stun weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster
Ammo: 15
Cost: 2,000, 100 (additional chips)
Availability: 4, F
Fire Rate: 1/2 (due to time needed for power charge)
Range: 03-5/10
Damage: 5D (stun damage)
Game Notes: Damage is rolled against the target’s stamina; if the target is stunned or worse, the recipient must make a Moderate stamina roll not to pass out due to the sleep inducing frequencies. Aleep lasts 1D hours. Frequency chips will only work against one specific species; changing a chip requires an Easy blaster repair roll and 3 minutes.
Source: Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology (page 76)
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Please feel free to feel flattered.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasoning for the stun baton/no lethal weapons was more from the mindset of the template. They don't like killing, so why would they carry lethal weapons.. But switching it out to say a that sleep inducer would be ok.

As a related q.. Should the doc get that DSP if they let someone ELSE kill someone, say that they knocked out?
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting question.

If they just stand there and not say anything as one of their team mates Coup de grâce I would.

If they try to stop it, or at least object, I would not.

There has to be some wiggle room. A doctor who is outgunned by pirates shouldn't have to get himself murdered to avoid a DSP. While if he did put himself in harms way, I would award him with either additional CP or a FP.

The club is a personal taste thing I guess. Working in a hospital as I do, I just can't wrap my mind around the Doctors having clubs at their side, hysterical as that may be.

Maybe some sort of Hypospray, ala Star Trek ?

HypoSpray 10 doses of sedative (5D stun), Melee to use in combat

Maybe scratch the drug component, and just have it be the medical equivalent stun gun, that painlessly overloads the nervous system and induces sleep (Stun)

The hand helm stun device concept doesn't bother me. It's the imagery of them clubbing someone, or sticking them with a cattle prod, I get with a stun baton.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work. Would they require though, both a first aid roll and a successful melee roll to administer it though?
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melee if resisted, First Aid if it's not ?

How about First Aid vs Melee Parry if it resisted ?

That would be something different.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i asked, was a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) i asked about what 'difficulty and damage' would it be for someone to successfully slam a Syringe into someone with the intent of shunting a lot of pure oxygen into them to cause an Air embolism. Several felt that F/aid should be needed as well as the melee roll.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would have to be a near heroic difficulty to get the syringe into the vain, and also not through it to inject the air bubble, of someone trying to resist. In that situation I don't think the melee combat roll would be used, I would think first aid would be okay. Use melee combat if you're just trying to poke them with the needle.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The reason i asked, was a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) i asked about what 'difficulty and damage' would it be for someone to successfully slam a Syringe into someone with the intent of shunting a lot of pure oxygen into them to cause an Air embolism. Several felt that F/aid should be needed as well as the melee roll.

WOW...

Um... against a resisting target...

I'd say a moderate difficulty First Aid roll, to know that it is possible and where on the body it would need to go. Difficult, or more if it's another race than the wielder.

Then, I'd suggest using the targeting rules from Privates and Privateers as a guidline and add 8D to the difficulty of the opposed melee action.

Last edited by Centinull on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the difficulty I suggested was in only in getting the needle into the vain, it being a ting target that is under full cover. I have had lab techs who couldn't get an I V into me on both of the inside of my elbows and the back of one hand, and finally got on the other hand (it would have been to the feet if she failed there) I wasn't resisting, we are of the same species, and it was her only job to insert I Vs and draw blood, which she does all day every day. I would say that the difficulty for a resisting character never be under Difficult.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff, my post was in responce to Garhkal. I've edited my post to make that more clear.

If anything Heroic may be to low. I like the +8D rule since it not only stacks nicely onto opposed roles, but the handful of dice it require is usually enough from dissuade my players from trying something overly foolish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: