The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Concept: Imperial Sky Fort
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Concept: Imperial Sky Fort Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Whill wrote:
OK so how are any garrisons deployed?

I always pictured that the ISD came into high atmosphere, then dropped it out of the main hanger section underneath. After detachment, the Garrison is equipped with some sort of detachable retro-rockets that slow its descent enough to keep it from becoming a planet ending catastrophe, but not enough that no one notices the loud boom and dust cloud created from impact.
This way they don't need to find perfectly flat terrain to drop it on, it'll level its own landing site.

So by calling them detachable retro-rockets, you see these as single-use to put it in the landing site and then it stays put, right?

Raven Redstar wrote:
But, I always just assumed that it could fit in the main docking section that's big enough to bring in a Corvette.

But the corvette was there temporarily when it was captured. Even if the ISD could port it around through hyperspace, I would think it would get in the way of other ships in the hangers coming and going. And if garrisons are just kept in the big space where the corvette was, why didn't we ever see them floating there?

CRMcNeill wrote:
...Prefabricated, not pre-assembled...

I was thinking pre-assembled. I guess the aquatic garrison in Battle for the Golden Sun (its first appearance) was still under construction so it was a lengthly process there.

However if this floating fortress garrison takes so long to be assembled, then that would really weaken the psychological effect. There could be a lot of sabotage attempts during construction, and that could even embolden rebellious sentiment while this technological terror is being put together. And the tides of the war could shift while this thing is being constructed, so it may end up not being so important to have a flying garrison there by the time construction is completed. If it takes a long time to put these together, I'm really not seeing a flying fortress being practical.

A star destroyer may be able to leave at any time, but it also can show up at any time without warning and hover over a city, immediately having the psychological effect when it is most important to have it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of that is going to depend on availability and logistics. Construction time is also a factor; droids don't need union-mandated rest breaks or time off. Construction time could be a matter of days, if not hours. Plus, with an entire Star Destroyer's worth of stormtroopers and walkers around to provide site security, sabotage may not be that big of an issue. And Imperial Sector Groups could have a handful of the flying garrisons pre-assembled in storage at the Sector Capital, ready to be deployed to trouble spots as needed; they'd show up in finished form.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So by calling them detachable retro-rockets, you see these as single-use to put it in the landing site and then it stays put, right?

Exactly. So after they fire, the rockets detach like the escape rockets on our space shuttles. I'm sure the Empire wouldn't mind a little bit of collateral damage dropping a garrison.

Quote:
But the corvette was there temporarily when it was captured. Even if the ISD could port it around through hyperspace, I would think it would get in the way of other ships in the hangers coming and going. And if garrisons are just kept in the big space where the corvette was, why didn't we ever see them floating there?

That's true, but we've also seen other ships carry small ships on the outer hull in Hyperspace, at least in the cartoons (I know how high you put them on your source list).

I'm not sure that I buy into every ISD carries one all the time. I feel like this would be a mission specific thing. ISD loads one up at a larger base or shipyard or whatever, transports it where they want to deploy one, and then deploy it to pacify the planet.

Where I was going is that even if the garrison is large enough that it would stick out underneath while being carried, it shouldn't interrupt the ship from being able to travel in hyperspace.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Imperial Garrison Base Size Reply with quote

Using the above image, i have worked out the following estimates:
AT-AT is 42x34px, WEG AT-AT is Length: 20.6 meters long, 15.5 meters tall; revised 'canon' gives TWO Heights & Lengths, which seem to stem from two 'canon' works:
• Length 20 meters[7], Height/depth 22.5 meters[5][2]
• Length 25.9 meters[1], Height/depth 22.2 meters
• Length 25.9 meters[1], Height/depth 22.5 meters[5][2]
20.6 meters/15.5 meters = 1.3290322580645161290322580645161
20 meters/22.5 meters = 0.88888888888888888888888888888889
25.9 meters/22.5 meters = 1.1511111111111111111111111111111
25.9 meters/22.2 meters = 1.1666666666666666666666666666667
*to fit WEG AT-AT stats, AT-AT should be ≈45x34px, or ≈42x32px

Garrison Base is 551x313px
Length 551px/42px = 13.119047619047619047619047619048
13.119047619047619047619047619048 x 20.6 meters long = 270.25238095238095238095238095238 or 270.26 meters
13.119047619047619047619047619048 x 25.9 meters = 339.78333333333333333333333333333 or 339.79 meters
Height/depth 313px/34px = 9.2058823529411764705882352941176
9.2058823529411764705882352941176 x 15.5 meters = 142.69117647058823529411764705882 or 142.7 meters
9.2058823529411764705882352941176 x 22.5 meters = 207.13235294117647058823529411765 or 207.14 meters

I had, prior to finding & reading this thread, been working on drafts for my own skyships & skyBases. No idea when they'll be done, atm...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just recently found this thread...

I think it is all pretty cool - as I remember the garrison from back in the day (man - getting old...the 90s were....a long time ago...).

But if I were to do a version today - I would use the one star wars had made;

The imperial occuption center - a giant ship that is supposed to be a mobile base.

https://www.starwars.com/databank/imperial-planetary-occupation-facility

It is in the last episode of rebels of season 4.

Here is some of the concept art;
(the big dome thing in the concept art).
https://www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-rebels/family-reunion-and-farewell-behind-the-scenes-gallery?

Any way - what ever works for your game.
(my players recently did a raid on the sector capital in the Minos Cluster- and I had one of these as the main base.... even used some of the images from rebels - all my group loves the show - so worked out well).

Note: I still feel that an ISD carying some kind of deployable base is a good idea - but they might also just use a mobile command center with some prefab buildings. I picture the imperial occupation center as a semi-perm base type thing.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Control Spheres/Construction Spheres Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
just recently found this thread...

I think it is all pretty cool - as I remember the garrison from back in the day (man - getting old...the 90s were....a long time ago...).

But if I were to do a version today - I would use the one star wars had made;

The imperial occuption center - a giant ship that is supposed to be a mobile base.

https://www.starwars.com/databank/imperial-planetary-occupation-facility

It is in the last episode of rebels of season 4.

Here is some of the concept art;
(the big dome thing in the concept art).
https://www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-rebels/family-reunion-and-farewell-behind-the-scenes-gallery?

Any way - what ever works for your game.
(my players recently did a raid on the sector capital in the Minos Cluster- and I had one of these as the main base.... even used some of the images from rebels - all my group loves the show - so worked out well).

Note: I still feel that an ISD carying some kind of deployable base is a good idea - but they might also just use a mobile command center with some prefab buildings. I picture the imperial occupation center as a semi-perm base type thing.

Yes, i came across that & the Control Spheres/Construction Spheres are the same hull & highly modular & used in whatever role the Empire wishes.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/ICM-092792
Diameter 828 meters[1]
Maximum acceleration 100 kph[1]
Certainly suitable, but for what CRMcNeill has in mind is something closer to the typical Imperial Mobile Base (L 200m) or Imperial Garrison Base, that can park at any altitude & still be mobile.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe combining several ideas here is reasonable. Say every ISD has the component parts for one garrison in storage, and the ship's fabrication & repair shop has the ability to make some limited modifications. Wouldn't it make sense to have the construction happen in orbit (presumably in the main hangar area) where the starfleet has significant advantages, and can just shove it a bit out of the way with tractor beams if a starfighter launch is needed? This would allow the "wow factor' of the base just suddenly being put there, but account for construction time.. and it makes sense that on a world like Mon Calamari (where there's no way anyone would be impressed by something that comparatively normal just showing up) they would take their time and just build it on the surface I'd think..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: