The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Adventure of the Ewok Prince
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Adventure of the Ewok Prince
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: The Adventure of the Ewok Prince Reply with quote

The Adventure of the Ewok Prince the title of the campaign I'll be running for my son. He'll play a Force-sensitive son of an Ewok chieftain who gets abducted from the Forest Moon. The PC later gets a chance to leave by joining a tramp freighter crew so does to look for him. But it's a big galaxy.

Whill wrote:
My son had played a handful of one-off mini-adventures and helped with some other playtesting, but today we celebrated my 30th anniversary by playing the first pre-campaign adventure of his campaign. His campaign will take place in the classic era but the first three pre-campaign adventures each take place during each of the three Prequel Trilogy films. For each adventure my son is playing a different character that will be an NPC in the proper campaign - These adventures are being used to introduce younger versions of multiple characters and tell a bit of their backstories.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

.STAR
WARS

The Adventures of the Ewok Prince

Prelude Episode I
The Battle Droid Menace

Turmoil has engulfed the small planet of Naboo. The human surface dwellers have gotten into a conflict with offworlders who have surrounded the planet with a blockade of deadly battleships.

The greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping from Naboo, which complicates the underwater dealings of the corrupt Gungan Boss Onald.

While the human Naboo queen and alien Federation viceroy endlessly debate, Boss Onald has dispatched the young Gungan street punk Balatar Binks to the lower docks region of the city of Theed in an attempt to salvage a weapons deal….

Whill wrote:
In Episode I, he played a teenaged Gungan street punk who steals weapons for a Gungan crime boss and sells them to spacers near the Theed spaceport since his cousin Jar Jar Binks was banished bringing shame on the Binks family. Balatar Binks was arrested and put in a Theed jail right before the Trade Federation invasion, and after stewing there for a few days being fed by battle droid guards, he broke out with a human spacer cellmate during the Battle of Naboo. They battled some battle droids and repulsortanks on their way to the spaceport where the ship the spacer worked on was docked. The human's Wookiee captain allowed his crew member's new Gungan friend on the ship and they took off only to get tangled up in the Federation blockade until the control ship was destroyed and the droid fighters shooting at them shut down, allowing them to escape to hyperspace... The Gungan will eventually become the major domo of a crime lord in the Minos Sector.

I'm really impressed with my son. For an 8-year-old he did very well. He had a couple hilarious failures, like trying to con some battle droids, but he was also decently tactical in battles. He's learning the game system very quickly, and to boot he adds up pips faster than some adults I know. But most importantly, he had a blast! We had fun and he is really exited about playing more. And it was the first adventure I've ever ran that took place outside of the classic film era. It's been a great day!

This mini-adventure didn't have any film characters, but my son's PC did see the end of the space Battle of Naboo in the distance out of the ship's viewport, including the destruction of the Federation mothership. Making his character Jar Jar's cousin was mainly just a bit of fun to tie the adventure into the film. In Balatar's background, he was annoyed by Jar Jar for bringing shame on their family which lead to him becoming a criminal. In the Classic Era of my SWU, Jar Jar is widely despised as a Imperial hero who played an instrumental role in the rise of the Empire, so the older NPC Balatar will no longer use his last name (unless he can use it to his advantage).

The next two prelude mini-adventures and the first two campaign adventures have more film characters and planets, but this is just to kick it off and really ground the game within the same universe as the films for my son. After that film planets and characters will become a lot more rare.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Prelude Episode II: Attack of the Hunters Reply with quote

.STAR
    WARS

Prelude Episode II
    Attack of the Hunters

There is unrest in the galaxy. Several thousand star systems have declared their intentions to leave the Republic. In the interest of maintaining peace and order in the galaxy, the Republic has secretly commissioned the use of espionage agents to infiltrate the Separatist movement.

Former freighter captain Wrrlova left her young son Shagraoao with their tribe on Kashyyyk and served as a Republic spy until her cover was blown at a secret Separatist base. Her ship was shot down while trying to escape.

Wrrlova and her copilot are now trapped on a Separatist world with enemies searching for them. Little does she know that Separatists have dispatched hunters across the stars to kidnap her son, in hopes of using him to lure her out of hiding….

Wrrlova was the Wookiee freighter captain who appeared at the end of the last mini-adventure. She was pregnant at the Battle of Naboo (so her son Shagraoao was present in-utero). She went back to Kashyyyk, had the baby and raised him for 8 years (without his father in the picture) until she became a Republic spy. Like real life, Star Wars has less-than-ideal parents. It sucks that she left her son with the tribe, but apparently the loyalist cause is very important to her, perhaps in part due to her experience with the Trade Federation on Naboo. For Shaggy's safety he moved from family to family on a random schedule. After the Separatists discovered her true identity, the Separatist-employed hunters uncover that she has a son and track him down on Kashyyyk.

This time my son played Shaggy, a 9 year-old Wookiee kid. I gave him 3D Strength, good Dexterity, a few skills and three language fluencies, the languages of Wookiees, Humans and Trandoshans. He had access to a little blast vest his size that his mother had given him and some night goggles.

Shaggy's current foster parents leave him at their outside edge tree-city home one night to go down the bough to see a holo. He and the pet puppy-monkey-lizard evade two Trandoshan hunters and escape separately into the forest, which is a dark interlocking network of branches at this level. He tries to get deep into the darkness of the forest, find a good solid log for self-defense and a good hiding spot inside a tree. He encounters the two Trandoshan individually in the forest, escaping from one and hearing the other one get eaten by a predator near his hiding spot. He waited a couple hours hoping that by then his foster parents and authorities were back at the home so it would be safe to return. On Shaggy's way back the surviving hunter jumps out and grabs him, but Shaggy wacks him real good with his little log and knocks the hunter unconscious. He hurries back towards home and he can see the lights of the tree-city when he walks right into a trap set up by the boss of the two goon hunters, the Trandoshan hunter known as Bossk.

Bossk calls a sector patrol ship to above their location and they are pulled up into the ship where they see a Trandoshan pilot and a dead Wookiee pilot. They retrieve the unconscious goon hunter who has a big knot on his head, and then go to space and hyperspace. They took Shaggy's goggles but left his blast vest. Shaggy was left in a net the whole trip and could not see where he was going. Assuming that Shaggy doesn't know Trandoshan or not caring if he hears, they discuss his mother but do not name the location of the Separatist planet they are going to. They mention that they have to ditch their current ship there and find another way off the planet and back to their ship. After they land, a LOM-series protocol droid walks up and tells Bossk where to take the Wookiee boy, a reinforced animal stall with food and water troughs on one wall and small opening above them. Bossk asks the LOM droid when he'll gets paid and the droid tells Bossk that he'll have to wait on the general to return from the factory. It is apparently daytime where they are and daylight is coming in the hole from outside. Shaggy hears some fluttering that sounds like the big insects they have near his city, but only at night. He decides to climb up the troughs on the wall to peep out the hole.

And he see the Geonosis arena in Attack of the Clones as Anakin and Padme are being taken out to the pillars where Obi-Wan already is! Shaggy is behind the innermost wall of arena near an area where they sometimes send animals out, so he is seeing this at a distance. From his vantage point he can also see the place where Dooku, Poggle and the Fetts are but they are little figures from his view. To simulate Shaggy's view, I showed the movie to my son from the time right after Padme professes her love to Anakin to Yoda and the clone calvary coming to save the surviving Jedi, making commentary about things Shaggy could see and not see from his viewpoint (He saw most everything at various distances except for the Threepio comedy and Padme kissing Anakin when she jumps down to him). Of course Shaggy doesn't know who any of these characters are except Count Dooku (and my son understands meta-knowledge). Shaggy knows what Jedi are and realizes they are Jedi when all the lightsabers come out. When the carrier ships start to take off, we stopped the movie and resumed full game mode.

A Separatist canon hits one of the clone carriers trying to escape, and it careens towards Shaggy. He jumps down and it crashes into the arena wall which crumbles away. A clone trooper with a rotary canon falls down beside Shaggy and the ceiling starts to crumble away and fall on them and they cover their heads. But then nothing happens and all is silent. Shaggy looks up to see pieces of the ceiling just floating in the air, and turns around to see a little female green alien Jedi who also had also fallen out of the carrier (Yaddle, who had gone with Yoda to get the clones) concentrating. She moves her hands to the side and the pieces fall down around them. But then the floor crumbles away and the three of them go tumbling down into an underground tunnel where they slide down a ways with rocks, but Yaddle seems to be protecting Shaggy from harm the whole time.

The three of them end up in the droid factory under the arena (a different part of it not seen in the movie). It is operating. The path they came down is filled in by rubble. Yaddle and CT-1210 introduce themselves to Shaggy in the human/galactic language (Yaddle speaking in the Object-Subject-Verb pattern of Yodaspeak). Shaggy can't say or ask anything about his mother because they don't understand Wookiee. Yaddle ominously states she senses an evil presence down here and tells Shaggy to stay between her and the clone as they try to find their way back to the surface. They make their way around the edge of the factory. After hiding from some droid patrols they finally get spotted by a few battle droids. Yaddle and the clone make short work of them and they continue. Shaggy declines picking up a battle droid blaster instead wishing he had his good little log that he had whacked the hunter with. As soon as they round a corner, walls in front and behind them open up and both hallways fill with B1s. They are literally "cornered." ("Best RPG pun ever, Dad.")

Shaggy realizes that the safest place at that point is on the droid factory floor so runs into it as the droids on both sides open fire on Yaddle and the clone. They fight back-to-back Yaddle force pushing droids into other droids while the heavy weapons clone was making doing just as well mowing down droids on his side. When it is was droids turn, Yaddle reflected blaster bolts on her side back to her attackers and the clone dodged to some nearby partial cover. A couple rounds of that and Shaggy finds a niche to hide in, but then suddenly all the lights go out and the power to the machinery goes down casting all into darkness except for Yaddle's lightsaber, the blaster bolds, and little explosions from the firefight. Then an arm reaches down for Shaggy in the dark and picks him up by the blast vest. Shaggy kicks at his assailant. Then the figure holding Shaggy yell out in the galactic language, "Cease fire!" The droids stop firing, and several of them say, "Yes, General." Then the general's voice yells out, "I know you're here. Come out! I have your son." Then with the sound of muffled servomotors, the general carrying Shaggy jumps up on the conveyor belt and the lights come back on revealing a tall reptilian humanoid figure who looks a lot like this except not so raggedy. And the rifle is replaced by a battle droid blaster hanging down from a belt and an electrostaff on his back. Shaggy can't break free but does whack the general good enough to stun him. The general calls out, "Aagh! The boy dies!"

Then with a huge roar Wrrlova jumps down from an above level and knocks Shaggy free from the general's grip. The general and Wookiee begin fighting, the B1s start back up on Yaddle and the clone, and Shaggy goes back to find a niche to stay out of danger but keep his eyes on his mom. They battle ferociously on the unmoving conveyor belt, both of the general's weapons getting knocked away. The general and Wrrlova deal a wound to each other. While the two large fighters are struggling, Wrrlova looks strait into the general's eyes and loudly says, "Shagraoao, climb up to the next level and activate the conveyors! Hurry!" The general not knowing the Wookiee language replies, "You are doomed." Shaggy climbs up the next level and then a B1 shooting at the clone sees Shaggy and begins shooting at him, but he dodges over to the controls. Wrrlova takes a second wound from the general. Using his FP on his Computers/Droids roll, Shaggy successfully activates the conveyors just as Wrrlova gives the general a big push down the conveyor belt and jumps off. The general gets smacked by a mechanical arm, and then more arms begins constructing a B1 where the general is, droids parts getting jammed into his body. The general screams and he is taken further away, and more and more of his natural body (revealed to be augmented by some internal cybernetics) is mutilated and destroyed (with too much blood and gore than could be shown in a PG-13 movie). The few B1s remaining realize their general was defeated and retreat. The battle is over, and Shaggy climbs down to hug his mother. Yaddle smiles and puts away her lightsaber. Wrrlova looks at Yaddle gratefully.

A big door in the wall by a nearby parts supply area opens as Slave-1 lands and the main hatch opens. Wrrlova grabs her son's hand as they walk towards it. The clone raises his weapon but Yaddle says, "At ease soldier. No threat, there is." As they make it over to the ship, Rio Durant comes down the landing ramp and says in the galactic language, "Did you know there is a battle going on up there right now? Wrrlova replies with a question. Rio puts two fingers in his mouth and whistles up the ramp. The LOM droid shuffles down stating, "She asked where you got the ship" with a disapproving tone. Rio smiles and says, "I snuck into the hanger and three Trandoshans were trying to bypass the security. So I just hid until they broke in and then I stunned them! Wait 'til you see what this ship has!" Wrrlova smiles and directs Shaggy to go up the ramp. Yaddle walks up to Rio and asks, "A ride to the surface, may we have?" Rio looks at Wrrlova who nods in approval. Rio says to Yaddle, "As long as you can call the Republic fleet and tell them to let us go." Yaddle says, "A deal, we have."

Before being dropped off at the Republic forces, the clone says to Shaggy, "You did good, kid. How old are you?" Shaggy holds up nine fingers. The clone says, "Nine? Me too." Later after the ship jumps to hyperspace, Rio applies first aid to Wrrlova while Shaggy curls up in his mother's lap and falls deeply asleep.

The original premise for the adventure was for my son to play a kid Wookiee because it could be a kid like him (with kid attributes) except decent Strength. My original idea was just for Shaggy and his mother to be on the run from Bossk and Trandoshan hunters on Kashyyyk, and they get separated for part of it. It took place during AotC and the Trandoshans were working for the Separatists who Wrrlova had ran afoul of. Other than that it had nothing to do with the film, but then I got the idea to have the action move to Geonosis for part 2 of the adventure. That allowed me to introduce the character my son will play in his next prelude mini-adventure (the clone) and Master Yaddle, who will be important in the story.

Despite my lack of proper planning, this mini-adventure turned out better than I expected thanks to a bit of luck (the way the story went based on dice rolls and choices my son made). Obviously Boba Fett will eventually get Slave-1 back. But first, maybe he will go back to the hanger and meet Bossk, and then they somehow escape Republic authorities together.

In my SWU, Grievous was voluntarily a cyborg, but only for enhancements totaling no more than 20% of his body and mostly internal. This adventure puts Grievous on Geonosis during AotC, and shows what he was doing off screen. Before Jango and Obi-Wan got there, Wrrlova was believed to be hiding in the droid factory, so it was the responsibility of Grievious, the droid army general, to find her before she could sabotage droid production and/or escape to reveal Separatist weapons manufacturing capabilities. This adventure was obviously the story of how Grievous became the 80%-machine cyborg that he will be in RotS, involuntary but the only possible way of surviving this adventure. I thought it was quite fitting how it happened, way better than both the EU's shuttle crash and canon's willfully becoming an imperfect 80%-machine cyborg because of a 'Petunia Dursley' syndrome.

And I was inspired by reading that Rio had been in Freedom's Sons, an independent army that assisted the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. So I imagine that after this, Wrrlova unfortunately did not stay home with her son. The Republic spies were disavowed, but her loyalty to the Republic remained and she joined Freedom's Sons and Daughters, Rio going with her. Shaggy was taken somewhere safer but he never saw his mother again because she was killed in the war, not even serving with Rio long enough for him to learn the Wookiee language.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we finally got back to this narrative. This time my son played the clone trooper who was an NPC in the above adventure...

.STAR
    WARS

Prelude Episode III
    The Clone Strikes Back

The Clone War ravages the galaxy! The fiendish Separatist cyborg, General Grievous, swept onto Coruscant to kidnap Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Republic.

To distract from this stunning move, Separatist Droid Army units besieged the capital at several different points simultaneously.

During the battle, a speeder carrying Jedi Master Yaddle and a squad of clone shock troopers collided with a construction site. The speeder fell hundreds of levels before crashing deep in Coruscant….

Only Master Yaddle and CT-1012 "Blaze" survived the crash, with centuries of wreckage destroying the speeders and blocking the way the came down. Blaze and the mostly unconscious Master Yaddle, both wounded, followed a legendary path and made an eerie and perilous journey through the underworld of Coruscant avoiding Cthons and battling their way through a nest of Dianogas, with Yaddle and some basic supplies being guided on a functional repulsorlift medical capsule the speeder had. They encountered a couple human men who eventually revealed they were also going back to the surface after attempting to retrieve an ancient treasure. They had a ship stashed in an unused factory warehouse. The older man was Captain Mac Laertes from Freedom's Sons, which had been annihilated in a recent battle that the captain has survived. (The younger man was called Banai). They decided to merge their journeys. Finally they reached the hanger, and their comms were still all static from some interference. They encountered the droid One-Zee and had a long conversation with her before they realized that she had probably been delaying them for reasons unknown, so they got in the ship, an MC-13v2.

Yaddle suddenly woke up and yelled out, "Mace, Nooo!" She implored Captain Laertes to take them to the Jedi Temple but it took some monetary persuasion. As they flew out of the hanger, the comm static ceased and Blaze received a message to "Execute Order 66". His head injury started hurting more. Yaddle stated she was not aware of Order 66 and asked him what it was. He thought about it and decided to tell her the truth. She assured him that was not true, that she had felt that the Jedi Order had been betrayed by one of its own who had joined the Sith Lord the Jedi had been looking for. Yaddle asked him if he was going to kill her. His head injury suddenly experienced great pain and he felt that the only way to stop it would be to follow the order. My son spent a couple CPs on a difficult Willpower roll and succeeded, refusing to follow it. Blaze's headache started to lessen. Yaddle advised that he is now an outlaw of the Republic. As the ship approached the smoking Jedi Temple, Yaddle advised the captain that the temple's shields were down and to blow a hole in a specific part of a specific spire. She asked Blaze to help her "save the younglings" and went back to the landing ramp. Blaze followed her. Benai told the captain he will signal when they can leave and followed Blaze and Yaddle. Torpedoes were launched and the hole was made. They lowered the landing ramp. Blaze readied a repeating blaster and Yaddle extended her green ligthsaber blade.

As the captain lined up the ship's landing ramp to the hole, they saw a single dark figure standing on the other end of the chamber with a blue lightsaber blade ignited, and some small figures by a nearby chair. Yaddle said, "Execute Order 66" to Blaze then leaped into the chamber. The dark figure raised his blue ligthsaber a bit and Blaze opened up on him, my son spending an FP to rain blaster bolts down on him. The dark figure moved at superhuman speed and miraculously deflected the barrage. Benai jumped into the chamber and yelled, "Come on!" to the younglings. Yaddle closed on the dark figure and they began an intense lightsaber duel. Blaze and Benai took a couple rounds to help the younglings on to the ship. Benai commed the captain to leave. As they pulled away and the ramp began to close, Blaze saw that the dark figure had become enraged and began to take the upper hand in the duel.

The ship was then attacked by Republic fighters as they began to ascend to space. Blaze got in the gunnery station and began to shoot back at the fighters, eventually destroying them both. As more fighters began to close on the ship, it escaped to lightspeed. END CREDITS...

Although it is implied in RotS that Vader had killed the younglings in the High Council chamber, all that is shown is that Vader extends his lightsaber and then the film cuts away to the next scene. Although Vader undoubtedly killed many masters, knights, padawans, and younglings in the temple, it never made sense to me that the Sith would kill the very youngest younglings because they would be perfect candidates to brainwash into inquisitors and the like. So I thought, What if Vader extended his lightsaber in that scene because he sensed the ship coming, bringing Yaddle to attack him? And then the PC could keep Vader busy until Yaddle could take over and the PC could help rescue those particular younglings. There would still be other very young younglings in the temple for Vader and the clones to capture while killing everyone else in the temple.

Years ago, my son actually came up with the main inspiration for this adventure when he was playing, pretending he was a clone who did not follow Order 66. And I inspired by cynanbloodbane telling me his young son played a clonetrooper who had been brain damaged. So I had my son's clone PC injured in his head with shrapnel that interfered with the biochip, giving him a chance to overcome his programming and refuse to follow Order 66. I was also inspired by The Last Command and thought a good twist here would be that he still could "satisfy" his programming in a way by his one-time attacking of Anakin, not unlike Mara Jade with Luke's clone.

I was again amazed by how well my son handled the game mechanics, and he really stepped up the roleplaying dimension. The whole adventure underground was mainly just to eat up a few days from the point of time when the adventure's opening crawl ends (right before RotS begins) to Order 66. The ship and her captain will be important in the coming campaign proper set in the classic era. The clone from this adventure and my son's PCs from the prior two mini-adventures will all be NPCs that appear in the campaign.

Most importantly, my son said that this was the most fun he has had playing Star Wars D6 so far. Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I finished running an adventure for my son, an adaptation of the Imperial Double-Cross solo adventure book that took three sessions starting on Christmas Eve, one for each system (Brentaal, Bespin, Tatooine). It went pretty well. My son played a human teen that wanted to run away from home and join a tramp freighter crew.

He successfully stowed away on Plat Okeefe's ship but was discovered in hyperspace on the way to Bespin. Things went horribly wrong and he got captured by a bounty hunter on Bespin, but ended up rescuing Captain Okeefe when she got captured. Then out in the wilderness of Tatooine, Platt got captured by Imps and gave herself up so he could escape. He ended up lighting the Imps up with a quad laser canon, almost bringing the canyon down on them.

I backed the adventure up a bit from taking place soon after ANH to having it take place during ANH. The Imperial Senate being dissolved and Alderaan destroying themselves when developing a super-weapon were the big news items at the beginning of the adventure. The Imperial presence on Tatooine was unexpected and new.

My son was tactical about things. We had fun. This is the last prologue adventure for the coming campaign. The PC of this adventure will appear as an NPC in the campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: