The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Masquerade Force Power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Masquerade Force Power Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It's possible that Leia was skilled enough at that point to recognize the illusion, she may have decided to keep her mouth shut because Luke being there would improve morale which was pretty shaken by that point. She realized without him saying a word that he was going to buy them time to escape.

That was my thought, too. if anyone in the film had the capability to see through the illusion, it would be Leia. No one else had the strength in the Force, the close enough relationship with the real Luke and the natural perceptive instincts (lifelong politician).

Quote:
Without getting off topic too much, my wife's theory is that Luke actually projected his soul or his own Force Ghost across the galaxy, and in being separated for as long as he was, what caused him to die in the end. I thought it was a pretty insightful theory.

That is pretty insightful. From a gamoing standpoint, however, my first thought is "God, I hope I don't have to write up rules for that..."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, going back to the original source of this Force power is probably going to help us. I never really thought of this kind of scenario when I was writing the description. In the original d20 stat, there is a reference to a dependence on the Deception skill and the Illusion force power. The difficulty for the Illusion power is dependent on size and complexity.

So, for me, if I were going to be GM'ing an adventure and someone wanted to create a Force disguise that included the image of a photo ID, I would allow it, and probably add a few points to the difficulty number for creating the image.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Okay, going back to the original source of this Force power is probably going to help us. I never really thought of this kind of scenario when I was writing the description. In the original d20 stat, there is a reference to a dependence on the Deception skill and the Illusion force power. The difficulty for the Illusion power is dependent on size and complexity.

So, for me, if I were going to be GM'ing an adventure and someone wanted to create a Force disguise that included the image of a photo ID, I would allow it, and probably add a few points to the difficulty number for creating the image.

Okay, but say that someone asked for the ID to examine it, could the illusion include tactile sensation?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or could the illusion fool an ID scanner?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were GMing that, I would say no, and no. If you were trying to separate part of your disguise from the rest of your illusion, I don't think it would hold. In terms of the ID scanner, I would say that scanner wouldn't recognize it as a valid ID. But it would be very likely that the person reading the scanner would be very inclined to believe the disguise. How that roleplays out would be up to the player.

If someone was breaking into such a secure compound, I would say that a bit of time forging a convincing ID would be more worth their while.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If I were GMing that, I would say no, and no. If you were trying to separate part of your disguise from the rest of your illusion, I don't think it would hold. In terms of the ID scanner, I would say that scanner wouldn't recognize it as a valid ID. But it would be very likely that the person reading the scanner would be very inclined to believe the disguise. How that roleplays out would be up to the player.

If someone was breaking into such a secure compound, I would say that a bit of time forging a convincing ID would be more worth their while.

Well if an imp sees an id that says one thing but his id scanner says another, why would you think he'd tend to believe the disguise more than the scanner?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my game, there would be no way that the Imp would grant access. But the way it proceeded from there would be a matter of roleplaying. Would the Imp call security, require they wait in the unrestricted area until a clearance checked out, etc.? Depending on the flavor of game, and if the disguise was of a high enough ranking official, the player might try to pull rank and so forth and make an intimidation roll, but that would be highly risky.

Though the latter scenario is done in a lot of TV shows and movies, it isn't particularly realistic. My wife has some great stories about checking security clearances as an 18 year old civilian employee with no clearance but responsible for validating clearances and credentials. On a number of occasions she had to apologize to generals and asking them to wait until their secretaries got in to send over the proper clearance credentials.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If it were my game, there would be no way that the Imp would grant access. But the way it proceeded from there would be a matter of roleplaying. Would the Imp call security, require they wait in the unrestricted area until a clearance checked out, etc.? Depending on the flavor of game, and if the disguise was of a high enough ranking official, the player might try to pull rank and so forth and make an intimidation roll, but that would be highly risky.

Though the latter scenario is done in a lot of TV shows and movies, it isn't particularly realistic. My wife has some great stories about checking security clearances as an 18 year old civilian employee with no clearance but responsible for validating clearances and credentials. On a number of occasions she had to apologize to generals and asking them to wait until their secretaries got in to send over the proper clearance credentials.

I know the same sort of situation. I read a story in the Mil times, about a pair of Marine security guards, assigned to a Cryoto vault out in San diego, who Refused entrance to an admiral (who was not on the access list). Even with him trying to pull rank, they both kept to their post and jobs, refusing him entrance. TILL the required updated access list came.
HE gave both a Navy and Marine corps commendation medal!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see if someone were masquerading outside the listed military ranks, and doing, say, an Inquisitor. A U.S. admiral is unlikely to impale an enlistedman. An inquisitor just might. If there's enough intimidation at play and a fear of real danger,

But, if that's they way the player is going to roleplay, then they're pretty much inviting other trouble. For example, when the real inquisitor shows up.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm still kind of torn with how I'm going to use it, but for the time being, I'm going to abandon the plan for the character to try and use a force disguise to get a pilot's license.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say that it would be a more solid plan to just have him use emptiness, enhance attribute, and concentration to boost your ability to forge one. (Assuming you've gathered the material components.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I'd say that it would be a more solid plan to just have him use emptiness, enhance attribute, and concentration to boost your ability to forge one.

Seconded. While I'm adamant that physically realistic illusions are possible through the Force, I also get the strong sense that it could be a game breaker unless properly thought out. I know D&D has rules for Shadow Illusions (i.e. illusions that actually are physically present, although weaker than the real thing would be), so that might be a place to start.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I'd say that it would be a more solid plan to just have him use emptiness, enhance attribute, and concentration to boost your ability to forge one. (Assuming you've gathered the material components.)

True, not having the parts/tools on hand will make it HARDER to do a forgery, if not impossible. BUt even if he does the forgery, he'd still have to, then do a disguise AND con his way in..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the idea was that he'd throw up his Masquerade, and fill out all the necessary paperwork at the appropriate office to create a new identity for himself. My original query was whether or not the camera to take his picture for the ID would capture the illusion or not.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Yes, the idea was that he'd throw up his Masquerade, and fill out all the necessary paperwork at the appropriate office to create a new identity for himself. My original query was whether or not the camera to take his picture for the ID would capture the illusion or not.

Prob just be easier to go with the con skill, since Disguise is a specialization under it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: