The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firing Modes and Torpedo/Missile Speeds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firing Modes and Torpedo/Missile Speeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Firing Modes and Torpedo/Missile Speeds Reply with quote

This is an outgrowth of the Cloaking Device/Sensor discussion.

Has anyone ever worked out speeds for SW missile weapons? If you fire at maximum range, will the torpedoes/missiles reach the target in one round? If so, are the published ranges way too short?

What about firing modes? RL torpedoes have variable speeds with inversely proportional ranges, while RL missiles have just one speed (because they use solid propellent burning at a constant rate).

What about misses? RL torpedoes will try to reacquire a target if they're misled by decoys or noisemakers and I think missiles have a similar feature if they don't detonate. Has anyone used this in their campaigns?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that range numbers for unguided missiles and torpedoes is a factor of both accuracy and speed against a moving target. Under the WEG rules, for example, a standard Capital-Scale Concussion Missile Launcher has a maximum range of 60 SUs. That range represents the limit at which a missile can be aimed and fired accurately against a normal target.

I've played around with an advanced skill that could be applicable to Capital Ship Gunnery in the same manner, allowing a gunner's precise knowledge of how a weapon behaves at extreme ranges to factor into increasing the range. This would be especially handy for extending the range of torpedoes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: