The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Old WEG Certificates with a new look
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Old WEG Certificates with a new look Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
ReverendKeaton wrote:
Hurry up and wait is my middle name. lol

In that case, I think you need to have a serious talk with your parents for giving you such an...unwieldy moniker. Laughing

My parents decided not to give me or my sister any middle names at all because Dad thought they were useless. I cannot find fault with that decision. 8)

Middle names have two main uses I can think of.

Middle names can help satisfy family traditions and help with compromises for parent disputes in naming naming children. My dad is a junior and wanted me to be the third, but my mom didn't like his first or middle name. So she choose my non-family first name that she wanted and compromised by having my dad's (and paternal grandfather's) first name be my middle name. My bother's middle name is our maternal grandfather's middle name. When my wife was pregnant for a boy she wanted to honor her dad who had five prior grandchildren by my wife's sisters and none of them had any tribute to him in anyway by first, middle, or last names. But I put my foot down against his first name being used as a first or middle name for our son because it is a horrible name. We compromised by making my son's middle name to be her dad's middle name, and my son was given the non-family first name I choose for him.

Middle names can also be useful for the person to have more name options to go by in cases when they grow up and don't want to go by their first name. My maternal grandfather went by a nickname of his middle name and my step-dad goes by a nickname of his middle name. My step brother (a junior of my step-dad) goes by his first+middle initials, and I go by a nickname of my middle name. In my case I actually like my first name but I have a valid reason to not go by it due to the confusion it causes other people creating hassle and annoyance for me.

And having a middle name but not needing it for any reason is no harm done because it can easily be ignored. From my point of view, there is no reason not to give a child a middle name.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
ReverendKeaton wrote:
Hurry up and wait is my middle name. lol

In that case, I think you need to have a serious talk with your parents for giving you such an...unwieldy moniker. Laughing

My parents decided not to give me or my sister any middle names at all because Dad thought they were useless. I cannot find fault with that decision. 8)

Laughing I failed my son miserably on that front. I gave him two middle names. And I did not use my head when choosing so when they print him a hospital bracelet or anything his names all run together. Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to hijack this thread from its original topic even further, but I have to talk about my family's naming tradition and how Mom and Dad deviated from it with me and my sister. My dad and his dad actually have the same first name (Carlos) but different middle names (Alberto for my dad and Lorenzo for my grandfather). This essentially makes my father a "Jr." although no one ever called Dad "Junior" because, so far as I know, "Junior" isn't even a word in Spanish, or if it is, it's not very popularly used as such. Mom and Dad told me that they briefly considered naming me Carlos as well, but would have run into the snag of needing to give me a third middle name, which Dad was pretty adamant about not doing. So they named me Christian instead.

Again, I can't find fault with this decision. Like my father, I'm an American, an Argentine and an attorney (all with added alliterative appeal). Those are three distinct groups that are not exactly known for their humility. Can you imagine how much more arrogant and pretentious I would be if I could honestly introduce my self as "Carlos (my family name) the Third"?

Such things do not bear further contemplation. Shocked
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you were Carlos, you could at least share your name with Chuck Norris, and that would be even more awesome.

So, arguably, on the basis of closeness to Chuck Norris, your dad's more awesome than you Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Well, if you were Carlos, you could at least share your name with Chuck Norris, and that would be even more awesome.

I'm not certain that Chuck Norris is as awesome as he used to be. That being said, I will leave it to people more familiar with Chuck Norris than I to determine the present extent of his awesomeness.

Zarn wrote:
So, arguably, on the basis of closeness to Chuck Norris, your dad's more awesome than you Wink

My father and I have actually had a number of debates over who of us is the more awesome. The two of us have come to the conclusion that we are each pretty awesome in our own ways. As to whose awesomeness is the greater, we shall likely never know for certain. But at least our awesomeness lies in unconventional directions, something we both take great pride in. Very Happy

And my dad is way more awesome than Chuck Norris, because he's, y'know, my dad. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: