The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D-13 Interstellar Passenger Liner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> D-13 Interstellar Passenger Liner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: D-13 Interstellar Passenger Liner Reply with quote

While completing the first draft of Star Wars: Droids the Adventures of R2-D2 and C03PO I found a number of items I had forgotten or were a minutiae detail and this ship was one of them. Suggestions are always welcome.

Quote:
Interstellar Passenger Liner
Craft: Wart-Ajel D-13 Interstellar Passenger Liner
Type: Transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 49.7 meters
Skill: Space transports: D-13 Passenger Liner
Crew: 1-2
Crew Skill: Typically 3D-4D in required skills
Passengers: 80
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons
Consumables: 3 months
Cost: 85,000 (new), 30,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 3
Atmosphere: 260; 750 km/h
Hull: 3D
Shields: None
Sensors:
-- Passive: 15/0
-- Scan: 30/1D
-- Search: 50/3D
-- Focus: 2/4D

Capsule: The Wart-Ajel D-13 Interstellar Passenger Liner is a typical passenger transport found in the Outer Rim Territories. Traveling well known hyperspace routes this type of ship runs routes ranging from several hours to several days depending on the distance, number of pilots, if droid pilots are being utilized, and layovers to switch out pilots. A sturdy ship with ample room for up to eighty passengers it has a forward facing observation deck. The D-13 also has a decent amount of cargo space for shipping freight.

Sources: Star Wars: Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO 1.09. Stats by +Oliver Queen.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the manufacturer Wart and/or Ajel before. Something you came up with, or mentioned specifically in Star Wars: Droids?

If the D-13 is 30 meters long and takes 80 passengers, I think it would be difficult to have a stateroom per passenger or two passengers without it being ridiculously wide.

I would also think that the crew would be more than 1 - 2; for 80 passengers and trips that can take several days I imagine a couple of cleaning droids, a first aid droid, and probably a glorified janitor and an astromech droid would be needed in addition to a second or even both a second and a third set of pilots.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I've never seen the manufacturer Wart and/or Ajel before. Something you came up with, or mentioned specifically in Star Wars: Droids?

Just a company I made up.

Zarn wrote:
If the D-13 is 30 meters long and takes 80 passengers, I think it would be difficult to have a stateroom per passenger or two passengers without it being ridiculously wide.

There are no staterooms. There is a central area under the ship that is has two rows of two seats with a walking area in-between. Just like on a bus or airplane. There are no overnight sleeping accommodations.

Zarn wrote:
I would also think that the crew would be more than 1 - 2; for 80 passengers and trips that can take several days I imagine a couple of cleaning droids, a first aid droid, and probably a glorified janitor and an astromech droid would be needed in addition to a second or even both a second and a third set of pilots.

As I originally envisioned this, I was thinking of buses in space traveling routes of several hours to days. Typically having one to two human pilots, maybe a piloting droid with a pilot overseer and possible layovers where pilots switch out or passengers transfer to another ship. This would allow for longer trips of multiple days.

I did not mention them in the stat block, but I figured there would 1-2 service droids since there is an observation area towards the front of the ship. This area also has a food area and serves beverages. Similar to buses/trains/airplanes of today.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

I would've loved to have a little blurb on Wart-Ajel as well, and whether this was the only thing they ever made.

And boy do Wart-Ajel need a proper designer - that thing may be functional, but it is quite ... phallic. At best. And for some reason the command section reminds me of Bender's head.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Just a company I made up.

Zarn wrote:

There are no staterooms. There is a central area under the ship that is has two rows of two seats with a walking area in-between. Just like on a bus or airplane. There are no overnight sleeping accommodations.

Zarn wrote:

As I originally envisioned this, I was thinking of buses in space traveling routes of several hours to days. Typically having one to two human pilots, maybe a piloting droid with a pilot overseer and possible layovers where pilots switch out or passengers transfer to another ship. This would allow for longer trips of multiple days.

I did not mention them in the stat block, but I figured there would 1-2 service droids since there is an observation area towards the front of the ship. This area also has a food area and serves beverages. Similar to buses/trains/airplanes of today.

Ah.. so it's more like an Amtrack train, that does short jaunts, rather than a mid range liner.. But even then, i'd think at 30 m, it would be rather packed for 80 passengers.. Maybe at 50m, i could see it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe this thing has multiple passenger decks?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ah.. so it's more like an Amtrack train, that does short jaunts, rather than a mid range liner.. But even then, i'd think at 30 m, it would be rather packed for 80 passengers.. Maybe at 50m, i could see it.

My feelings were more like a bus, but we are tracking the same nonetheless. I am not married to 30m, I can easily make it 50m.

Some quick and dirty measurements I use for size comparison in my head:

Average U.S. Male = 6' (1.8 meters)
Average U.S. Mid-Size Car = 108" (wheelbase) + 12" (front) + 24" (rear) = 144" (3.56 meters)
Average U.S. Semi-Tractor and Trailer = 57' (17.4 meters)
U.S. Football Field = 100 yards (91.4 meters)
Average U.S. City Block = 400'(121.9 meters)

cheshire wrote:
Or maybe this thing has multiple passenger decks?

From the design (the windows), what you see of the interior from the cartoon, and generally how I envision it, probably not two levels.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked it up. An average Amtrak car is 85 feet long, and has 84 seats. I never remember it being that tight, but if there are four people in a row, the math seems to check out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I just looked it up. An average Amtrak car is 85 feet long, and has 84 seats. I never remember it being that tight, but if there are four people in a row, the math seems to check out.

However an amtrack car, doesn't need space for engines, fuel cells, crew quarters and a flight deck..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
However an amtrack car, doesn't need space for engines, fuel cells, crew quarters and a flight deck..

I envision this ship having two levels. From front to rear:

Level 1:
A. cockpit 1-2 seats, possible single jump seat
B. short hallway with fresher, leads to 10 tons of freight space
C. engineering section (hyperdrive engine, sublight engines)

Level 2:
D. Observation deck, food and beverage
E. Long hallway with refresher
F seating area

Note 1: In the seating area are two emergency doors, these lead to a single large escape pod.
Note 2: Baggage compartment is underneath, behind the engines.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Or storage for consumables for that matter. Whatever processing a starship needs for WC processing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, amtracks do have toilets on them.. So they have to have some storage for all that waste.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trains I was on in Romania just had a hole that dropped down to the tracks. I guess they figured it was easier to just leave the problem behind.

I've been looking at length and passenger capacity for commercial flights as well, even the particularly roomier airlines (like El Al). It's pretty socking the length to passenger capacity ratio. But even then, the engines and fuel storage are on the wings, rather than part of the larger fuselage.

So, this is getting really complicated trying to make projections based on real-world comparisons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: