The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What will be The future of Thrawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What will be The future of Thrawn. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: What will be The future of Thrawn. Reply with quote

Having read the first of the new Thrawn novels, I realized it ended "long before" the events of Rebels.

With these events being canon, and thus most likely the book leading up to this, the new bok will not offer any light on Ezra and Thrawn's fate after rebels.

BUT what I was wondering, looking at how Thrawn was thinking and waht Actually Drove him.

My question to you guys is this: Could it be reasonably possible that Thrawn, would be enemy to the first order and side with the resistance IF encountering both sides?

Could he in theory be one of the "allies in the outer rim" or beyond?

I mean as to episode 9 timeline, or the upcoming Live action tv series
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What will be The future of Thrawn. Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Having read the first of the new Thrawn novels, I realized it ended "long before" the events of Rebels.

With these events being canon, and thus most likely the book leading up to this, the new bok will not offer any light on Ezra and Thrawn's fate after rebels.

BUT what I was wondering, looking at how Thrawn was thinking and waht Actually Drove him.

My question to you guys is this: Could it be reasonably possible that Thrawn, would be enemy to the first order and side with the resistance IF encountering both sides?

Could he in theory be one of the "allies in the outer rim" or beyond?

I mean as to episode 9 timeline, or the upcoming Live action tv series

Interesting idea about Episode IX, but I think they will probably save Thrawn for books and cartoons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Thrawn allying with the Resistance for any reason. He's very much a "might makes right" guy, so seeing him join forces with a totally outmatched force like the Resistance would be completely out of character for him. The idea that Thrawn would somehow pull a Heel-Face Turn and become one of the Resistance's "outer rim allies" is almost as stupid as the Star Wars Holiday Special.

As to whether Thrawn would align himself with the First Order, that's far more uncertain. The First Order isn't the Empire; I'm not even certain why anyone loyal to the latter would feel any fealty to the former. Aside from a "might makes right" mentality and the stormtrooper uniforms, there doesn't seem to be much ideology connecting the two regimes. The Empire was loyal to Palpatine; the First Order followed Snoke. And there doesn't seem to be any sort of connection (that we know of) between Palpatine and Snoke that would explain how Snoke got to be Palpatine's successor. Without that connection, what reason would Thrawn have to be loyal to the First Order? Thrawn was loyal to the Emperor, but the Emperor is dead. Who would Thrawn serve now? What reason would Thrawn have to be loyal to Snoke?

And with Kylo Ren usurping Snoke, all of the First Order now has to decide if they're truly going to transfer their loyalties to Kylo Ren after the disaster on Crait made Kylo Ren look like a fool. If Thrawn had little reason to ally with Snoke, then it seems even more unlikely that he'd ally with a childish incompetent like Kylo Ren.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The First Order would also be a dumb name for a successor state. If Snoke is Darth Plagueis, then the Empire may be an unsuccessful expansion of a previously existing First Order.

Why would Thrawn be loyal to Palpatine and the Empire? Appreciation of military authoritarianism? The First Order has that too. Yes, the First Order is now lead by a whiny Dark Side Force user, but why did Thrawn work with an insane clone of a Jedi master in Legends? They used each other to serve their their own ends. Thrawn and Kylo Ren could do that too. Isn't Chiss Space near the Unknown Regions? Maybe Thrawn needs the support of the First Order to keep his Chiss enemies at bay.

So while it is possible they could work out some kind of relationship, I still think it is unlikely they will use Thrawn in Episode IX.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The First Order would also be a dumb name for a successor state.

Yeah, I was wondering about this back when TFA first came out. I still remember thinking, "wait, why do they call themselves the First Order if they're supposed to be the successors of the Empire?"

Whill wrote:
If Snoke is Darth Plagueis, then the Empire may be an unsuccessful expansion of a previously existing First Order.

I'm not so sure about that. Back in RotS, when Palpatine declared himself Emperor, he made it an explicit point to call his new regime the First Galactic Empire. That doesn't sound like any sort of successor state to me. It seems to me that it's entirely in-character for Palpatine to revel in what no Sith Lord before him had ever done: the destruction of both the Jedi Order and the (Old) Republic. I don't think Ol' Palpy would want to share the glory of that with anyone, alive or dead. His ego is way too big to acknowledge any sort of assistance or groundlaying work that a previous Sith Lord might have done to help destroy the Old Republic.

Whill wrote:
Why would Thrawn be loyal to Palpatine and the Empire? Appreciation of military authoritarianism? The First Order has that too. Yes, the First Order is now lead by a whiny Dark Side Force user, but why did Thrawn work with an insane clone of a Jedi master in Legends? They used each other to serve their their own ends. Thrawn and Kylo Ren could do that too. Isn't Chiss Space near the Unknown Regions? Maybe Thrawn needs the support of the First Order to keep his Chiss enemies at bay.

Yeah, I forgot to take into account that Chiss Space is in the Unknown Regions, so it's reasonable possible that the Chiss and the First Order could have encountered or could possibly encounter one another. And Thrawn was a Chiss exile, wasn't he? (I have't read the Thrawn novels yet so I'm unfamiliar with either his Legends or canon backstory.) Thrawn could either 1) (if his exile is not a factor) act as a go-between for the FO and the Chiss as a diplomatic courier between the two to defuse tensions or 2) (if his exile is still a factor) advise the FO on which part of the Unknown Regions to avoid so as to never encounter the Chiss at all, thereby negating any possible conflict between the two factions. The Unknown Regions is still a big area of the galaxy, after all (even if one assumes the Freestanding Subsectors are still part of galactic society at large, as Jakku and Jedha seem to indicate).

Whill wrote:
So while it is possible they could work out some kind of relationship, I still think it is unlikely they will use Thrawn in Episode IX.

Yeah, inserting Thrawn into Ep IX strikes me as pretty hokey at this point. If they bring back Thrawn, they'd have to explain what happened to him after Rebels, which would mean explaining what happened to Ezra. And Ezra would be as old as Luke at this point (assuming he's still alive), so the franchise would be exchanging Jedi Master Luke Skywalker for a much lesser known Jedi Master Ezra Bridger. And this would be problematic because the entire point of the Sequel Trilogy was to pass the torch of the Star Wars story from the Skywalkers to a new generation. (And Ezra is part of the same generation as Luke's.)
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would see a Thrawn in Ep 9, but at the timeline, IF still alive
Would He as we know him from both eu and canon, be one to ally with upstarts? And in all fairness FO are/was/is upstarts at best.

Or would he support, or aid in some way a republic or something.

Basically would Thrawn be a FO if still alive
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The First Order would also be a dumb name for a successor state. If Snoke is Darth Plagueis, then the Empire may be an unsuccessful expansion of a previously existing First Order.

If you read the Aftermath series, you realize that Snoke is NOT Plagueis. They were so far out that they were beyond the reaches of the "Unknown" You also realize that the mindset it very different in the First Order. It is NOT the Empire. It is more extreme, less methodical and civil.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Whill wrote:

If you read the Aftermath series, you realize that Snoke is NOT Plagueis. They were so far out that they were beyond the reaches of the "Unknown" You also realize that the mindset it very different in the First Order. It is NOT the Empire. It is more extreme, less methodical and civil.

That makes sense to me on two levels.

First, the Empire was part of a long con by Palpatine. It was a gradual increase in authoritarian power that culminated with the destruction of Alderaan, but began with the declaration of the Empire at the end of ROTS. So, in a way, it had to be more civil and methodical. It couldn't just blow everything up all at once and take over. The FO, on the other hand, is external to the Republic. The only way for it to take control is to violently overthrow the existing power structure, so all of its operation is geared towards that.

Second, the mindset makes sense as well. Palpatine was engaged in a massive deception. He had to be subtle to accomplish his goals, and his policies had to be gradual in their harshness or else he'd provoke rebellion before he was capable of crushing it. The FO, on the other hand, is a defeated enemy driven by hatred of those who defeated it, and which seeks to crush those who oppose it outright. It's not about gradually doing anything other than building its military might.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
If Snoke is Darth Plagueis, then the Empire may be an unsuccessful expansion of a previously existing First Order.

I'm not so sure about that. Back in RotS, when Palpatine declared himself Emperor, he made it an explicit point to call his new regime the First Galactic Empire. That doesn't sound like any sort of successor state to me. It seems to me that it's entirely in-character for Palpatine to revel in what no Sith Lord before him had ever done: the destruction of both the Jedi Order and the (Old) Republic. I don't think Ol' Palpy would want to share the glory of that with anyone, alive or dead.

You seem to be forgetting that Palpatine thought Plagueis was already dead when he formed the Empire. Palpatine didn't have to even know about the First Order. Plagueis could have been a mastermind that was using Palpatine to make the Empire, which even in its failure still supplied the First Order with a lot of tech and officers. Maybe Plagueis felt that his plans would be best served by Palpatine thinking he was dead.

Sutehp wrote:
His ego is way too big to acknowledge any sort of assistance or groundlaying work that a previous Sith Lord might have done to help destroy the Old Republic.

What?! The Sith Rule of Two and manipulating things from the shadows for a thousand years was laying the groundwork for Palpatine destroying the Jedi order and forming the Empire, which was the titular revenge of the Sith! The Jedi or Republic didn't personally wrong Palpatine. It wasn't personal revenge. Sith teach that the Jedi wronged them in the past. What Palpatine did was literally not possible without all the Sith Lords before him. Sure, Palpatine has a huge ego and thought he was the right Sith to bring the millennial revenge plot into fruition, but I don't think he is oblivious to the fact that he couldn't have done what he did without the groundwork of a millennia of Sith Lords building up to it.

Grimace wrote:

If Snoke is really dead and doesn't come back in IX (which I hope he is dead), then I hope he isn't revealed to have been Plagueis.

I'd love to hear more details on the First Order you've learned because what you've said above doesn't seem too forbidding of the line of speculation I was putting out there. Plagueis and Palpatine could have very different mindsets on how to rule a galaxy, and the First Order isn't too out of reach if they are a couple weeks from taking over the Republic in TLJ. I wouldn't put much stock in Chuck Wendig having much influence on what JJ will do in Episode IX. The Sequel Trilogy is a big budget chain writing story with no overarching plan to allow maximum creativity, and maximum creativity means a minimum of prior continuity adherence. I have lots of Disney canon reference books and spend too much time reading Wookieepedia, so I can tell you that canon universe is not different than the EU was in inconsistency. And JJ's cowriter Chris Terrio said that Episode IX "unites all three trilogies and brings everything together" specifically adding that there will be Prequel elements in Episode IX

What if Plagueis wanted Palpatine to think he was dead but really wasn't? I don't hope Snoke is Plagueis but it is possible that is the direction they might go.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to get too "spoiler-y" for the Aftermath books, unless I get the go-ahead to be spoiler-ville.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I don't want to get too "spoiler-y" for the Aftermath books, unless I get the go-ahead to be spoiler-ville.

I believe that the spoiler policy on Aftermath is "Fire at will", by this point. It's been out for a year.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Grimace wrote:

I believe that the spoiler policy on Aftermath is "Fire at will", by this point. It's been out for a year.

Right. There's no official spoiler policy on anything but movies here. We operate under a common courtesy to not spoil new novels. The last Aftermath novel came out well over a year ago, so you're good on posting whatever you want about it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then.

As it was explained in Aftermath: Empire's End, the Emperor had taken the knowledge of Thrawn's life in the Unknown Regions to had his sites set on the area beyond that...an area outside the galaxy.

He had spent a number of years, combining the knowledge of Thrawn with long range probes sent further and further out into the Unknown Regions.

When each probe was lost, they would dispatch more probes along the route that went the furthest, and keep finding way further and further out...out so far it even went beyond the boundaries of the galaxy.

In Aftermath: Empire's End, a crazed, power-mad fellow by the name of Gallius Rax (he went by both Grand Admiral and Counselor, so he was just a manipulator of things who had the favor of Palpatine) was responsible for the drive beyond the Unknown Regions.

He took the remaining Imperial fleet, a rather impressive fleet with the last Super Star Destroyer, to Jakku, the place where he was originally from. There the Empire met it's end in a giant battle (you can see the remnants of the battle in The Force Awakens).

Before the battle, the Empire was there on Jakku for months, and they used a local Hutt, Nima the Hutt, to collect children. They took those children and indoctrinated them, trained them, got them to pledge service to PEOPLE rather than an ideal or to the Empire. These children were trained and indoctrinated by Brendol Hux. Brendol Hux was an Imperial.

Gallius Rax manipulated things to have Brendol's son tormented and picked on, then elevated the boy by having all of the other children pledge their loyalty to the boy, a little red-headed Hux who eventually grew up to become General Hux of the First Order.

Gallius Rax wanted to reinvent the power, but he had seen it crumble and collapse after the death of the Emperor. So he set out to destroy all those who were loyal to the Empire, and the Imperial ideals. So in the end, it is inferred that the Rax would have little Hux order the death of his father, and would take over command of the children as they grew up.

It was mentioned in the book, that the "first order" of business was to build anew, with new focus, no more beholden to the ideals of the Empire. No more allegiance to the Emperor. Instead, they would follow whomever was in charge, and be indoctrinated from young age. This coincides with what Finn was mentioning in the Force Awakens about being take as a child. For him to break that indoctrination was a notable, and challenging thing. It's also why he was so scared of the First Order. They are fanatics, not a "hired" or "volunteered" army. The don't follow an ideal, other than that they want to cleanse the galaxy of everything that doesn't demonstrate obedience to the First Order.

I think they took the "first order" of business, and just decided that, rather than being an Empire, as they controlled nothing at that time, they would simply be the "First Order".

The one thing, besides a dozen or so random ships that carried a host of trained children out beyond the edge of the galaxy, was Palpatine's personal ship, the Eclipse. From the Eclipse, they took what was available and created stuff anew. They conquered planets with it, and formed bases from which the build up.

That's how they were able to build something like Starkiller Base without being detected.... or building the fleet of new Star Destroyers without anyone finding out about it. They were all developed beyond the Unknown Regions, and then came back along the same path they used to get out.

In the meantime, the New Republic was already in the mindset of drawing down their forces prior to the battle of Jakku. After that battle, it was assumed that the Empire was finally, completely defeated. (If fact, it was.)
So they drew down their armed forces, wanting each member planet to have their own defenses rather than one strong central defense...which they were worried would allow someone like Palpatine to take power and have the forces to enforce things.

After an event on Chandrila, it was decided to move the center of the New Republic to another world. Even then, there was talk of keeping the seat of power "on the move" to provide benefit to multiple planets, rather than having just one benefit. And they didn't want to emulate concept of one planet with rule over all, all the time. In the three books, the capital moves from Chandrila to another world. In the Force Awakens, it's on another world. It fits with the concept that was laid down in the books. As does the lack of military that the New Republic seemed to have in the Force Awakens.

Leia had already gone "rogue" once in the trilogy of books, in order to free Kashyyk. She almost did it for the Battle of Jakku. So I'm sure, based on the establishment set in the books, she would do it again when the New Republic votes to drastically drawn down the New Republic military. Thus, that is why she is "in rebellion" against the New Republic, and General Leia rather than Alderanian Princess Leia.

Likewise, the books also show why it was likely Han Solo was not around all that much when Ben Solo was growing up, and why Kylo Ren had such a soft spot for his mother and not for his father.

But at the time of the books, there was no mention of Snoke, nor was their any obvious Force users brought with the children. The one adviser to Palpatine, who was a devotee to the Dark Side, was killed in the last book by Gallius Rax, along with him destroying a number of powerful Sith artifacts. This was all done on Jakku, so there is adventure fodder for things that could be done on Jakku if someone wanted to run an adventure there.

The highest "ranking" person was a badly injured Grand Admiral, who probably didn't make it very long before dying, and Brendol Hux who I am sure would be killed by his son and the loyal children who pledge to follow him. I'm guessing somewhere out there they met Snoke and he used the Force to impress young Hux. From that, they grew in strength.

I can't say how Ben Solo ends up in the First Order, or when the First Order made its way back into the known Star Wars galaxy. It could have been about the same time, by the look of the age of Ben Solo when Luke had his encounter with him which turned Ben Solo to the Dark Side.

But I can say that Snoke was not an Imperial, nor was Hux, nor most other people you see in the First Order. Those Imperials who did make it out there would probably have either sworn obedience to the First Order or been killed off by the fanatical First Order children/warriors.

The First Order, though their equipment have Imperial lineage (TIEs, wedge shaped Star Destroyers, white armor for their Stormtroopers, etc.) they are definitely NOT Imperials! They are fanatics loyal to Hux, loyal to people in power, and beholden to the belief that they are superior, and everyone else is inferior. They want to kill all who will not join. They capture children to make more troops, as they are best to indoctrinate and most malleable to work with. They do not enlist non-indoctrinated people. You either submit to be ruled by them, or you die.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Grimace! That was very informational. I was aware of a couple of the broad strokes, like a bit of the Hux backstory and the start of the First Order Stormtrooper corps. I have read that there is a fan-loved YA novel that deals with Leia and the New Republic, Bloodline. It takes place 6 years before TFA and sounds like it might be right up your ally.

It sounds like Wendig was issued a restraining order on talking about Snoke, and an obvious reason for that would be because they wanted to leave that open to possibly be dealt with in the films. Lucas did stuff like that all the time with the pre-prequels EU.

When the First Order indoctrinates loyalty to whomever is in charge of the First Order, that is loyalty to the First Order above any one person. The Supreme Leader changes, the center of the loyalty shifts but it stays in the First Order. The Empire didn't command that kind of loyalty which is probably a big factor in why it failed so quickly after Palpatine died. It was all built upon Palpatine. He didn't establish any successor rules because he planned on finding a way to live forever. He didn't plan on being succeeded by an apprentice Sith Lord. He wasn't in denial of the past succession of the Sith Order leading to his rule, but there was no accounting for subsequent succession after him.

Above when I responded to the statement that the First Order was a successor to the Empire by stating the possibility that the Empire may have been more of an unsuccessful expansion of the First Order, I didn't mean that too literally. I meant that, in the fan theory that Snoke is Plagueis, Plagueis could have fled to the Unknown Regions when Palpatine thought he had killed him. Plagueis could have predicted the Empire that Palpatine would make and thought it would serve his masterplan well. It did lead to a pacifist New Republic with a lot of battle weary planets ripe for conquest. Plagueis could have taken over the First Order as part of his plan to control the whole galaxy.

I hope that Plagueis theory is not true. I hope Snoke is Snoke, and he is really dead. I find a Kylo Ren lead First Order to be a lot more interesting. But in JJ Abrams's TFA, Ren said to Han, "The Supreme Leader is wise." It seemed like a particular odd phasing for that part of the discussion, so that could be a reference to "Darth Plagueis the Wise". JJ Abrams is also doing Episode IX. I still think the Snoke=Plagueis theory is still not ruled out, and it is the direction JJ may take it. They said that Episode IX would include elements of the prequels, and Snoke being Plagueis (or perhaps being an apprentice of Plagueis) would be a prequel element.

But we digress from the future of Thrawn.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think they will tinker with Thrawn’s career too much. As a signature character of Legends, I think the intent was to port him over to Canon more or less reverentially as an olive branch to Legends fans. My theory is that the Benioff/Weiss film series will be an adaptation of the original Thrawn Campaign, set in roughly the same timeframe (5 years post-RotJ), and broadly falling out the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: