The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred Reply with quote

Rose Tico Actor Deletes All Instagram Posts After Months of Online Harassment

This is the latest atrocity committed in the name of Star Wars fandom. The actor did not create the character or write the film. Like her character and movie or not, the actor did absolutely nothing to deserve not only all the fan bashing she has had to endure, but she was also bombarded with vile racism and misogyny by the scum and villainy of our fandom. The character's Wookieepedia entry was even vandalized by this hatred and toxicity. It's sad.

https://twitter.com/WookOfficial/status/1004804398105518080

I am confident that we don't have any of those pathetic haters here, but the Rancor Pit still answers Wookieepedia's call to denounce this negativity. The Forum Posting Guidelines address this and they will continue to be enforced. Thanks for being among the good population of Star Wars fans.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the headline for this yesterday. It pisses me off that there are morons of this ilk in any fandom, but I expected better of Star Wars fans because the GFFA is such a cosmopolitan place where millions of entirely different species (never mind the myriad ethnicities of the human race alone) coexist. Then again, we saw this same s*** back when TFA came out and the white supremacist snowflakes were pissed that the leading actors were a black man and a white woman instead of white men.

But even then, were John Boyega and Daisy Ridley personally harrassed on social media for it? I think I would have heard about it if it had. But harassing Kelly Marie Tran is so utterly beyond the pale that when I first saw the headline, I honestly couldn't grok it for a few seconds. It reminds me of how Jake Lloyd was harassed just for basically doing everything that George Lucas told him to. But now with Kelly Marie Tran it's even worse because of the racism and misogyny involved in her case.

Call these bigots out wherever you see them, guys. Not just here in this forum, but everywhere you might encounter them in your life. You can't make peace with hatred like this. You can only fight it by calling the bigots out and supporting their victims.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's back.

Kelly Marie Tran: I Won’t Be Marginalized by Online Harassment
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
She's back.

Kelly Marie Tran: I Won’t Be Marginalized by Online Harassment

I'm glad to hear this. She had every right to refuse to return to avoid being exposed to such trollery, but I'm glad to see her return to take a stand and fight. Don't give the b@st@rd* trolls the satisfaction of seeing your back.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Then again, we saw this same s*** back when TFA came out and the white supremacist snowflakes were pissed that the leading actors were a black man and a white woman instead of white men.

If I remember right, that was debunked as false (some troll started that story probably for personal amusement).
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Then again, we saw this same s*** back when TFA came out and the white supremacist snowflakes were pissed that the leading actors were a black man and a white woman instead of white men.

If I remember right, that was debunked as false (some troll started that story probably for personal amusement).

You are not remembering right. There was an extremely widespread racist backlash to John Boyega playing a main character and stormtrooper, and a misogynist backlash to Daisy Ridley playing the main protagonist of the sequel trilogy. I personally witnessed a multitude of racist and misogynist reactions directly myself, in many places. This wasn't the work of one mere troll! This was the result of character flaws lying deep within the ugly hearts of many fans.

Stating gross misrepresentations of reality like the racism and misogyny that they experienced was "debunked as false" is like saying the Holocaust didn't really happen. For the record: the Holocaust really happened, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was not faked, we really did go to the Moon, human caused climate change is scientific fact, and the Earth is not flat. Saying black people and females don't actually experience racism and misogyny is being dismissive of these problems. That is dangerous, and anathema to what this thread is about.

The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I still hate Rian Johnson?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You are not remembering right. There was an extremely widespread racist backlash to John Boyega playing a main character and stormtrooper, and a misogynist backlash to Daisy Ridley playing the main protagonist of the sequel trilogy. I personally witnessed a multitude of racist and misogynist reactions directly myself, in many places. This wasn't the work of one mere troll! This was the result of character flaws lying deep within the ugly hearts of many fans.

I witnessed quite a bit as well, and ended up in many heated arguments with friends of mine. It took quite a bit of arguing to even get them to see how their views were sexist, and we've been able to have more constructive discussions about things more recently, but there was a short while where our friendship was almost destroyed because of it.

I'm glad that the Rancor Pit is a hate free environment.

CRMcNeill wrote:

As long as it's limited to the quality of his character.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WookOfficial wrote:
Hatred in this context means racism, sexism, harassment, and general toxicity.

CRMcNeill wrote:

Sure. Hatred is the Dark Side, but there are no emotion police. You can hate anything or anyone you want all you want. The only restriction here is on expressing hatred. People just need to keep their hatred to themselves.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind. I remember now. What was debunked was a story about someguy committing suicide over the TFA cast.

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Stating gross misrepresentations of reality like the racism and misogyny that they experienced was "debunked as false" is like saying the Holocaust didn't really happen. For the record: the Holocaust really happened, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was not faked, we really did go to the Moon, human caused climate change is scientific fact, and the Earth is not flat. Saying black people and females don't actually experience racism and misogyny is being dismissive of these problems. That is dangerous, and anathema to what this thread is about.

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred. Reply with quote

We have a pandemic thread and we are at about three months of the American outbreak. But that's not the only other unprecedented thing going on in America right now.

Today my city (with many others) had its seventh day of protests against a much older pandemic of police brutality and racism, especially (but not completely) with respect to the murder of black men, right now most infamously in the recent murder of George Floyd by officer Derek Chauvin in Minneapolis.

The protests were volatile at first as rioting and looting also occurred. There were other agendas at work, taking advantage of huge crowds and large police presences. Let me be absolutely clear. As a part-time activist I can assure you that rioting and looting is NOT protesting. Peaceful protesting is an American right guaranteed by the first right in the Bill of Rights. Violence and destruction are anathema to peacefully protesting violence. Please do not conflate peaceful protests with crimes. I know most of you don't.

On the same note, I'm very glad there are many good cops that honor their oath to protect and serve all people equally, so this should not at all be taken as a diatribe as police in general. To say all cops are bad cops would be just as prejudiced as racism. However the existence of good cops does not mean there isn't large scale problem of racism and brutality within the police forces.

My city is in its 7th night of a 10pm-6am curfew which was put in place after the first night where the statehouse was damaged. Even the historic theater (where I saw John Williams and the Star Wars film with live scoring) was senselessly damaged. The darkness of night gives too much cover for destructive people. Thankfully things have calmed down here, and in a lot of places. In many cities, some good police have joined the demonstrators. I don't live in downtown Columbus and I don't think the curfew is in effect for the all the suburbs, but I technically do live in the City of Columbus which snakes out in between some of the suburbs, so I get the daily alerts about the curfew being extended another night. I've walked the dog at midnight and there is usually not another soul in sight. But honestly, since I am a very white middle-aged man with a small shih tzu, I doubt I would be molested by police if they drove right by us.

The thing that's perhaps the most disturbing to me about all of this is that many people are speaking as if George Floyd was the first unarmed black man ever murdered by officers of the law. If George Floyd's name is the one that brings about real change, then great. It's just so sad it took so many police murders of unarmed people to make this such a hot issue. And so many cops acquitted (but I don't think these cops will be). And it is quite amazing that this is even happening during a pandemic! That's the main reason I have not joined these demonstrations. As most businesses in Ohio will be reopened soon, there will certainly be another spike up in Covid cases.

Anyway, let me make this post more on topic for this site. The following was shared by Lucasfilm (and other Disney companies) on social media:

DT star John Boyega gave an impassioned speech at a racism protest in London! This movement is going worldwide! All the profanity is bleeped out but there is a lot of angry yelling. This is a way better use of him screaming than Finn always yelling, "REY! REY!"

John Boyega George Floyd protest London speech in full: Star Wars actor's powerful Hyde Park message

And Lucasfilm posted the following in support of John Boyega:

Mark Hamill, JJ Abrams, and Rian Johnson have all tweeted support for him. (And when watching the video I couldn't help but think of the original director's Episode IX script that had Finn giving a speech to First Order Stormtroopers on Coruscant to inspire then to rise up against the First Order and join the Resistance like he did.)

And just in case anyone thinks this is "political", I have been assured by Star Wars fans on all ends of the political spectrum that they are not racists and their ideologies do not include racism. Therefore, racism and liberty-killing police overreach are universal evils all good fans should be able to agree on.

Now I have to go fix my Black Lives Matter yard sign (that's been there for years and keeps getting pulled out). The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred.

EDIT: A Message from Our Colleagues [Lucasfillm on Facebook]
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: #BLM Reply with quote

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Lucasfilm wrote:
“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today, we honor Dr. King and celebrate his legacy. The Lucasfilm family is committed to the fight for justice and equality in every corner of the galaxy. Each of us keeps the dream alive!

(Photo by Reg Lancaster/Express/Getty Images)

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Rancor Pit actively condemns hatred Reply with quote

John Boyega (Finn)... Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico)...

Now, Obi-Wan Kenobi star Moses Ingram (Reva) has shared examples of the hundreds of the vile racist fan hate messages she is getting online. Disgusting. Lucasfilm, Ewan McGregor, and many others have felt compelled to speak out in support of Moses.

This weekend I watched a Star Wars Celebration video with an interview of Kelly Marie Tran and Billie Lourd (Carrie Fisher's daughter who was in all three DT films). Tran was asked about her Star Wars Celebration experience over the years, and she paused for a bit and came up with an all-positive answer. Now I don't doubt that her experience with that particular SW convention is all good, and the people in the video seemed very supportive, but her experience with Star Wars fandom in general is a mixed bag for sure. It's really quite sad that she had to put on a good face and just pretend Star Wars fandom is so great. I hope she felt appreciated as a human being but I still feel bad for her.

Some fans instantly get defensive when the racism and hatred corners of the fandom are even brought up (they doth protest too much, methinks). If your immediate go-to is that it is just the bad writing you are opposed to, that is being dismissive of the racism and hatred because the actors don't have anything to do with the writing. Truly moral, empathic people would be horrified to learn about the treatment other humans are getting, treatment that has nothing to do with the writing or even actor performances. No one deserves to be treated like that regardless of anything else. Even if you really just hate the character and you are confident it has nothing to do with racism, you are pretty dim if you think that justifies hating the actor who did the job they were hired to do.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I peronally never understood how people can not see tat is not the actor's fault, they do a job and as to star wars, usually a good one at that.

now another thing is commenting or critizing the way a caracter is written, or a plot or something, and some of that can be harsh, but should of course never be in any way perosnal.

I think we should all be "better than that" Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen! Of course, if a fan is going to be so sh!tty as antagonizing an actor, it is extremely likely there is more than just dissatisfaction with a performance going on. I only brought that up because that is the excuse I see being made to defend or justify expression of racist hatred. There is no valid justification for that.

EDIT: Hayden Christensen chimed in...
Quote:
"I’ve heard a little bit about that and, obviously, it really saddens me," the actor tells ET’s Matt Cohen. "I think the world of Moses. She’s not only a lovely person and human being, but an incredibly talented actress."

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: