The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stun Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it however you want in your game. But here I was only talking about the erroneous interpretation of RAW.

garhkal wrote:
That's the first i've seen of anyone with the belief they don't stack.

It's not my belief. Belief is choice of what to believe when there is no clear evidence. We don't choose facts.

You are adding something to RAW that simply does not exist. Where does it say in R&E that -1D stun penalties stack? I think it would be right there in the description of Stunned if it was anywhere, but it's not. Is it somewhere else? If it's not there then it is not a rule that exists in RAW.

Whill wrote:
See R&E p.97.

The authors of R&E wrote:
Stunned characters suffer a penalty of -1D to skill and attribute rolls for the rest of the round and for the next round. A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but it is still “affecting” him for half an hour unless the character rests for one minute.

If a character is being “affected” from a number of stuns equal to the number before the “D” for the character’s Strength, the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes. A character making an Easy first aid total can revive an unconscious character.

...A character who is wounded a second time is wounded twice.
...A wounded twice character who is wounded again is incapacitated.
...An incapacitated character who is wounded or incapacitated again becomes mortally wounded.
...A mortally wounded character who is incapacitated or mortally wounded again is killed.

Remember, in RAW stuns still do have the cumulative effect within 30 minutes without rest. Once the number of stuns equals the number of in front of the D of the character's Strength, the character falls unconscious. So a character with 3D+2 Strength who gets stunned twice in the same round (or once in one round and once in the next round) still only suffers a -1D penalty on the first and second rounds, but the stunned results are still adding up to something. Two rounds or 20 minutes later the characters gets a stunned result again, and that is the third stun within 30 minutes without rest, the character goes down. If that same character gets 3 stunned results in one round, he only has the -1D after the first stunned but he goes down with the third stunned result. With this system there is no need to nickel and dime someone with multiple -1D stunned penalties. A character with 2D+2 Strength is only going to take two stunned results in the same battle to go down.

Naaman wrote:
It still overpowers the lethat damage. If you take three separate stuns (or 4 or 5 as a wookiee, lets say), all in the same turn you now have a massive penalty to dodge and attacks that virtually guarantees failure of the rest of your combat rolls. You've basically lost the fight already, and so might as well be incapacitated/unconscious anyway.

And that is a good argument for why -1D stun penalties shouldn't stack, because stunned results shouldn't overpower wound damage.

Statistically, I have slightly weakened stunned further by allowing the cumulative aspect of having the stunned results equal to number in front of the "D" of the character's stamina skill instead of the Strength attribute before the character falls unconscious. Not all characters have stamina so it wouldn't make a difference in a lot of cases, but characters that have a high stamina are more resistant to being knocked out by the accumulation of stunned results.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Whill... that's basically what I was trying to say. Embarassed
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think stuns stack, and will run it that way in my games. But thanks for at least showing it MIGHT be the other way.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I still think stuns stack, and will run it that way in my games. But thanks for at least showing it MIGHT be the other way.

And you MIGHT find your way in RAW somewhere that I missed. If you do, please feel free to point it out. I will not deny evidence.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: