The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Feedback on Weapons Revamp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Feedback on Weapons Revamp Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphabetical?

Assault Rifles
Battle Rifles
Carbines
Scout
Sniper

Not sure if I forgot a category or not.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbines and scouts are more like configurations rather than "types" or platforms, so I'll likely include those options within the primary entries for the platform they are built on.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't there be an option for a gun camera or scope camera? Macrobinoculars can also take a picture of whatever view is there, generate three-dimensional pictures (so there's essentially a built-in rangefinder there), and should likely be able to use a comlink for uploading sensor data.

Come to think of it, perhaps one should be able to lase a target as well, for heavier ordnance?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Shouldn't there be an option for a gun camera or scope camera? Macrobinoculars can also take a picture of whatever view is there, generate three-dimensional pictures (so there's essentially a built-in rangefinder there), and should likely be able to use a comlink for uploading sensor data.

Come to think of it, perhaps one should be able to lase a target as well, for heavier ordnance?

Good call. We're getting closer to that kind of stuff with each update. One of the "goals" of this write up is to facilitate the concept of opportunity costs when it comes to gear selection.

I don't like feeling like the only stat that matters on a weapon is it's damage.

Also, I'm making somewhat of an effort to express weapons as instruments of battle/warfare, rather than just tools of thugs and heroes, so the target lasing will definitely be included in the near future.

I just posted the rifles entry, and since there are SO MANY ways to configure a rifle, it will take a while before I get to all the super-spec-ops gadgets and gizmos.

On the short list are:
Optical devices (thermals, night vision, etc.)
Bi-pods
Stocks
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the bolt action write up to the original post (rules are over there, not here).

Bolt Action

Due to the nature of blaster technology, tremendous amounts of heat can build up in the reaction chamber during combat. The amount of heat build up far out paces the rate at which the atmosphere can absorb it. Even after only one shot, the characteristics of the weapon have changed enough that any subsequent rounds fired will not behave the same as the round fired before it. In order to preserve a constant temperature inside the weapon, the action is filled with a fluid which absorbs heat almost instantaneously. When the action is operated, and the fluid is mixed with a thermophilic gas which is cycled through a micro condenser, cooled, and then replenished into the mixing chamber. The mechanism for this is usually built into the back of the receiver, and internal to the design, taking up no more than a few cubic centimeters. As a result, the temperature in the reaction chamber remains relatively constant, shot after shot, and the characteristics of each blaster bolt remain virtually identical from one shot to the next. This allows precision shooters to achieve the consistency necessary to make surgical attacks against their targets at impressively long ranges. Such deadly firepower cannot be achieved using "standard" blaster technology, since the excessive amounts of heat in the reaction chamber cause the resulting bolt to carry too much heat to remain stable over vast distances.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about spectrum tuning of a blaster bolt?

There's a few EU blaster weapons that have non-visual spectrum blaster bolts, making it somewhat easier to get away with shoot-and-scoot operations. This is perhaps particularly relevant with marksman's rifles, anti-materiel rifles, and sniper rifles.

Connected to that there's ion blasters, DEMP2 guns, ion double blasters, rapid ion gun, ion stunners, and disruptor guns (as opposed to disrupter rays), sort of two opposite ends of the blaster bolt tuning spectrum, at least when it comes to damage.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. As for tuning/customizing, those rules will be coming soon, once I get all the personal weaponry posted (up to light/medium repeaters, and possibly some missile weapons like grenade launchers).

It could be as easy as attaching a "suppressor" to the barrel which not only alters/cancels the sound waves, but the electromagnetic signature as well.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to all the spec ops gizmos and attachments for rifles.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan Disruptor Rifles to be "Jedi Outcast sniper style" weapons?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know if I'll write up disruptors as a base weapon "type."

Seems to me that a disruptor would fall under a "type" of weapon (pistol, rifle, whatever) that fires a special kind of ammo, so you could just use any of the profiles for a weapon type/platform (say, for example, compact blaster pistol or short barreled rifle) but make it's damage output appropriate to whatever you think a disruptor should do.

What do you think?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disruptors are still beam weapons / plasma / particle weapons / whatever blasters are.

Non-beam weapons would include bowcasters, magna casters, cycler rifles, flamethrowers, dart guns, concussion rifles, flechette launchers, and a variety of slugthrowers (SMGs / PDWs, rifles, revolvers, shotguns), needlers.

Oh, and bows, crossbows, and arrows from arrow-throwers (like a woomera or atlatl), and a variety of thrown weapons (discblades, knives, nets, whatever).
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
) but make it's damage output appropriate to whatever you think a disruptor should do.

What do you think?

Something with quite a punch, but rather limited fire rate - maybe even 1.

Also, for determining scale of disintegration on solid objects:
Pistols - area damage of 1 meter.
Rifles - 2 meters.

T-7 ion disruptor rifle - this one possible to negate the scale difference up to starfighter for determining the damage.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get updates for the lightsabers presented in the Fantasy Flight games? With the new Contained Energy Axe and Broadsaber, as well as the takes made on other lightsabers and their modifications it may be time to make a second take on D6 equivalents.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkJackal wrote:
Can we get updates for the lightsabers presented in the Fantasy Flight games? With the new Contained Energy Axe and Broadsaber, as well as the takes made on other lightsabers and their modifications it may be time to make a second take on D6 equivalents.

I'm not familiar with the FFG publications. I do have plans to address lightsabers, but that will be a completely different thread. I have come to regard this concept (of weapons and combat) as "sourcebook level" stuff, so I feel like trying to cram lightsabers (which then gets close to Jedi and force powers and such) into the system would clutter it up too much.

Also, I'm not sure I'll bother with alternative weapon types (light axes, light whips, etc) as those concepts stray too far from my own perceived notion of the Star Wars Universe. I have come up with some alternative "patterns" for lightsaber designs (the Gladius pattern, the Rapier pattern, the Claymore pattern, etc), but they are all based on the lightsaber being a sword-like weapon.

But don't hold your breath! Laughing Laughing
These things only ever get my attention when I'm not busy, and such times are rather sporadic for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: