The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Scout Rifle Concept for Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Scout Rifle Concept for Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
It doesn't matter what the other person is about to do. They might be trying to avoid you all together (such as when a hunter and prey notice each other at the same time: the animal would try to run and hide, while the hunter could quickly get on target accurately enough--due to the scope--for a quick, humane kill, for example).

I agree. The problem is that, per the rules, Initiative only comes into play when combat is about to start. So while you are saying it doesn't matter what the other person is doing, you have built a rule that says that it does matter, as a pure Initiative bonus applies only when a fight is about to start. If no Initiative is rolled, the bonus does not kick in.

If, for instance, a character is simply using their scout scope to observe someone - and not shoot - the scope set-up would provide no special advantage to peripheral vision. Unless combat began, at which point Initiative would be rolled.

Quote:
Initiative is perception based. The idea of the scout rifle is about making quick shots. The quick shots are possible because the shooter has a greater field of view due to the fact that he can stay out of the scope until the last second. The advantage of the scout set up is that it does not require as much "prep time" before taking a shot. So the "search" check is made at no penalty (since the shooter is not "in the scope") and when his peripheral vision tracks movement (which is the primary function of peripheral vision), he can focus in on it, aim through the scope, and fire more or less reflexively.

With a regular rifle, you would do the exact same thing, but it would take longer (i.e. it would use the regular rules for noticing stuff and reacting to it).

Does all that make sense?

I think that was essentially my point. Allowing the character to both shoot and make an unpenalized Perception/Search roll would seem to be a good representation of this, in addition to your reaction time bonus.

Quote:
Having said all that, if you feel that the peripheral vision needs to be more greatly emphasized, I think that your suggestion is appropriate and not overpowering, though I feel that the reaction time bonus is the primary benefit of the scout rifle/scope.

I think my only other quible boils down to style (and it's an argument we've had before), in that I would choose to do a +1D bonus to Initiative rather than a flat +5.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Snap Shot: Reaction; you may fire your blaster at a target of opportunity. If you do, you lose the benefits of your dodge skill for this round and you can only shoot at a single target in this manner per round. You suffer a -6 penalty to your attack roll [per the hip shooting option], but you do not gain the bonus to your initiative: instead, you're gaining the chance to attack before your turn.

I wonder if the scope concept might be better realized in combination with this, maybe off-setting the attack roll penalty.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. But this thread was meant to present an idea for the concept ad it might work with the RAW. I wanted it to be as "plug and play" as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: