The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Star Wars Sourcebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The Star Wars Sourcebook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it! I read the Sourcebook, cover to cover, every word.

What do I get? Uh? What's my prize?

I'll tell ya, it was an enjoyable read. I read it casually, a section at a time, when the mood struck me.

I love the D6 Star Wars game. I love it passionately. But, this book brings more to the reader than just game stats and game material. It's a Sourcebook for Star Wars.

True, the book was written before the prequels, before the new movies, just before the EU exploded (where other D6 SW books were written as the EU was exploding), and before the new canon.

AND THE BOOK STANDS UP EXTREMELY WELL!

I was amazed at that. There are a couple of things, here and there, that have later contradictions, but those things were minimal. Truly amazing!

If you like details, the way I do, then you will dig this book, too. As long as I've been a fan of Star Wars, I actually learned things in this book.

Some things that come to mind...

:: That the Y-Wing has a special handle on its nose that ground crew use to maneuver the ship around in a hanger. The handle engages the ship's repulsorlift drive and allows one man to physically drag or push the ship into tight spaces. I love details like that.

:: There's a cross-section cut-away of the X-Wing detailing the ship's primary components.

:: That a standard Imperial Star Destroyer carries 72 starfighters. A schematic shows the breakdown.

:: That the nature of space travel in the Empire is a lot more regulated than I had ever thought.

:: There's a deckplan map of the Millennium Falcon!

:: That repulsorlift vehicles use all sorts of devices to aid in thrust, from sails to turbine engines.

:: That the Sullustans are from a world that is volcanic and has thick, billowing clouds of noxious vapor. The Sullustans are a race that live under ground. SoroSuub is the largest Sullustan company that supplies goods to the entire Empire. And, that company has taken over governmental control of Sullust.

:: That the Twi'leks are a race that has lower technology than the peoples from an average Imperial subject world. Those who leave Ryloth typically live a Fringe existence.

:: That Banthas are not native to Tattooine and found on several worlds around the galaxy.

:: That Space Slugs do not normally grow to the size of the one seen in TESB. That one is a slug of myth.

:: The various types of Rebel Bases. And, a lovely example of a base with a map.

:: A breakdown of just how much Han Solo owes Jabba The Hutt.

And, oh, so much more! That's just a taste of what this book provides!

I'm glad that I took the time to read it in such detail.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to use that rebel base map to make a SWMB gaming table.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I always wanted to use that rebel base map to make a SWMB gaming table.

Ah yes, the good ol' Tierfon Rebel Outpost. A couple of my rebel spec ops campaigns were based out of there. They made a colored version of the map for an FFG book.

Click here for link to image

EDIT: Image link
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierfon Outpost was always my favorite example of a Rebel base. Yeah, if there's one book WEG published that could totally sum up SWD6, it is without doubt the Star Wars Sourcebook.

And let's not forget the modular Imperial garrison design as well. A mass-produced, rapidly-deployed base that can be deployed from any Imperial-class Star Destroyer at any time anywhere in the galaxy. That is what military force projection is, ladies and gentlemen.

Yup, this book is awesome. It's even better that it's held up to the test of time as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: