The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Idea About Imperial Ranks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> My Idea About Imperial Ranks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: My Idea About Imperial Ranks Reply with quote

I noticed something about the Imperial Rank system. It uses up to six squares. Sometimes it's in two rows*, one above the other, but it uses a max of six units.

Now, the Rebels used to be Imperials. So, it stands to reason that the Rebels use a similar rank system to what they are used to using--something similar to the Imperial system of ranks.

Looking at the Rebel ranks, they, too have six ranks (using five dots).

I don't think the Security Cylinders have anything to do with the rank system (other than higher ranked officers will tend to have more of them).

*TOP ROW

I only think the top row of the Imperial ranks indicates the actual rank. My supposition here is that the lower row, if any, gives more information about the officer's position or division or specialty.

Note in RO that Director Krennic can be seen in a shot with just the top row of his rank badge showing, and in another shot with both rows.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a pic of an Imperial officer with just one box. The minimum seems to be two boxes. Maybe one box is for cadets or warrant officers or maybe even enlisted personnel.

Now, I haven't thought this through completely, but if I'm on the right track here, then the ranks below should be fairly accurate.

6 Boxes = Admiral

4 Boxes = General/Colonel/Major

3 Boxes = Captain/Commander

2 Boxes = Lieutenant

Moff or Grand Moff is a position, not a rank, akin to a Governor.

Director is, likewise, a position, not a rank.

"Commander" is a term used for anyone who is in command, regardless of real rank. A Lieutenant in charge of a scout ship can be referred to as the "Commander" (and possibly as "Captain" too).

Split ranks above, like for 4 Boxes, depend on Service Division. The second row of boxes would give more information.

For example, General Veers has 4 Boxes. The bottom row is all Blue, indicating no special designation. Most soldiers have solid Blue on the bottom row, but those with unique or unusual specialties have different colors.

Rank Tabs Flipped.

If an officer is scene with the rank tabs flipped (where Red is not on top), then this means that the officer is serving in a position and is operating at a rank higher than his Rank Badges indicate. This is why Grand Moff Tarkin's badges are flipped. He is higher in rank than an Admiral.

EDIT: Have we seen any Imperials with five boxes on the top row?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Write up.

I too think we can devide the rank bar.
To me the colors as well mean something, I actually think there is some color
difference in field command, admistrative, and scientific fields.

The highest most ranks/postions may indicate this.

Red blue and yellow for the moff and up, and those positions are in full overall command of all the "fields" under their system of influence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: