The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightside Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightside Force Powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Lightside Force Powers Reply with quote

The TotJ Companion lists several powers that are used by Dark Side characters in the comic series - Bolt of Hatred, Dark Side Web, Feed on the Dark Side, Waves of Darkness, etc. - which have no clear parallels on the Light Side, even though "Anti-Darkness" Jedi powers do make an appearance in the series, as well.

I have some concepts in mind, based on thing seen in the TotJ, Freedon Nadd Uprising and Dark Lords of the Sith comics, but I'm curious if anyone has ever come up with something similar.

A few examples of what I have in mind:
    Radiant Light - The Jedi radiates the energy of the Light side of the Force into their immediate surroundings. This has two effects; it serves as a defense against Darkness based attacks, and can be used to disrupt Dark Side powers (the area of effect travels with the Jedi, and can disrupt Dark Side energy if brought close enough to it).

Focus of Light - The Jedi can reach out with the Force and focus the power of the Light on a specific location (modified by proximity), usually a Dark Side user or nexus of some kind. It is commonly used to disrupt a Dark Force user who is trying to use or maintain a power.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every dark side power has to have a 'parallel' or the like, when it comes to force powers.. that said, our sparks group did adapt a force power called "Force light" that comes from a d20 online source (not sure which)..

Force Light
Alter Difficulty VE (5) – base difficulty
Required Powers – Force Harmony, Life Detection, Life Sense, Projective Telepathy, Receptive Telepathy
Effect – This power allows a Force-user to channel the Force into blasts of light that can destroy Dark Side spirits, as well as cleanse the taint of Dark Side locations. This Light Side energy emanates out to ten meters from the power’s user, affecting all Dark Side, creatures, spirits, or sites within that area. When Activated, the player rolls his Alter score and checks his success on the following table:

If the force user's alter roll exceeds the base difficulty up to 10 above,
if a dark side creature/character, they must make an Easy willpower roll to remain in the area. Dark side spirits take 2d+2 damage, and there's no effect on dark side areas.
If the alter roll is 11 to 20 over, the willpower roll for dark side creatures is upped to Moderate, and the damage dark side spirits take is now 5d.
If the alter roll is 21 to 35 over, they shift to Difficult and 7d+2 respectively.
If the alter roll is 36 or more over, the willpower roll is very difficult, dark side spirits take 10d damage, and a dark side site has it's 'power reduced'. What that 'reduced' means though i can't say..

In the case of Dark Side Characters/Creatures, those within the effective range of the power must make a Willpower check with the indicated difficulty or flee the area. If the target is a Dark Side spirit, the damage listed is inflicted upon them. If the target is a Dark Side site, its power is reduced.

That's really the only thing i have seen..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; obviously not all powers should have direct parallels. However, both powers I suggested have their basis in things Jedi are actually seen to do in the TOTJ books. While I'm on the topic, Luke seems to use a Light-side version of Feed on the Dark Side to save himself from death in The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are familiar with sever force, battle meditation, malacia and morichro already?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I agree; obviously not all powers should have direct parallels. However, both powers I suggested have their basis in things Jedi are actually seen to do in the TOTJ books.

Such as?

CRMcNeill wrote:
While I'm on the topic, Luke seems to use a Light-side version of Feed on the Dark Side to save himself from death in The Courtship of Princess Leia.

The way i saw it, was more the PLANET itself having life feed the force TO Luke. Not him feeding on the plantlife.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I agree; obviously not all powers should have direct parallels. However, both powers I suggested have their basis in things Jedi are actually seen to do in the TOTJ books.

Such as?

Page 25 of The Beast Riders of Onderon, part 2, Master Arca enters the tomb of Freedon Nadd and disrupts the Sith ritual being performed by Queen Amanoa merely by his presence.

And on pages 55-56 of Dark Lords of the Sith, Nomi Sunrider uses an effect described as "fingers of bright force" to disrupt the Force illusions of Aleema Keto.

Quote:
The way i saw it, was more the PLANET itself having life feed the force TO Luke. Not him feeding on the plantlife.

The effect would have been similar, except as a voluntary transfer from the living Force of the planet itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: