The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modifying Astrogation Duration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Modifying Astrogation Duration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Modifying Astrogation Duration Reply with quote

Should the act of modifying the Astrogation Difficulty extend the time required to calculate Hyperspace coordinates?

It takes about a minute to calculate a jump using a well traveled route (or if using pre-calculated coordinates).

What if that time requirement gets the Astrogator to the standard Difficulty 15. Then, if desired, the Astrogator can fine tune those results by adjusting the course, increasing time but decreasing the Difficulty.

Should it require one additional combat round per -1 Difficulty reduction?

Thus, let's say an Astrogator is going to roll 4D. A minute (12 combat rounds) goes by, and the Navicomputer is ready to enter hyperspace, at Astrogation Difficulty 15.

But, the Astrogator wants to increase the time in Hyperspace and reduce difficulty for a 100% safe jump. So, the Astrogater spends 11 more combat rounds (another one minute and five seconds) adjusting the route so that the Difficulty is 4+.

If using the Wild Die, then the Astrogator, in order to be 100% sure, should reduce Difficulty to 1+, requiring 14 extra combat rounds (one minute to calculate, plus one minute and 10 seconds to adjust).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably, that's factored into the consideration already. One might counter-argue that taking more time to make the calculations lowers your difficulty... trying to take less already penalizes it.

Trying to take less time in transit increases your difficulty for a given time unit of calculation time. Extend that time unit, and you can equally argue that the calculations should get easier.

Since you're fond of the highway analogy, think about driving from Houston to Dallas. There's a lot of ways you can get there BUT many of the choices you make at the outset of your journey will determine what choices are available to you later... you might be able to speed things up along your chosen route by making certain spur-of-the-moment shortcuts, but if you chose a slow route to start with, you're still going to go slow. Taking extra time at the beginning of your journey to choose the right route will speed you up in the long run.

So, I would not penalize someone time for trying to make calculations for a fast journey... the TN penalty is predicated on them taking a minute to make the calculations. If you add a time penalty, you should decrease the TN penalty.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Arguably, that's factored into the consideration already.

I would say that RAW absolutely considers that part of the original one minute of processing time needed by the Navicomp.

Quote:
Since you're fond of the highway analogy...

Note fond, exactly. It just seems to be canon. So, I've accepted it.

Quote:
So, I would not penalize someone time for trying to make calculations for a fast journey... the TN penalty is predicated on them taking a minute to make the calculations. If you add a time penalty, you should decrease the TN penalty.

I'm not really promoting the idea--just discussing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: