The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Are you primarily a GM or Player for Star Wars D6?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Are you primarily a GM or Player for Star Wars D6?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

GM or Player? Which best describes you?
GM and prefer to be the GM
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
GM but happy to be either
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
GM but prefer to be a player
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Player but prefer to be the GM
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Player but happy to be either
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Player and prefer to be a player
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Neither but want to be a GM
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Neither but happy to be either
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Neither but want to be a player
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Both GM and player in one or multiple groups
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Are you primarily a GM or Player for Star Wars D6? Reply with quote

Are you primarily a GM or Player for Star Wars D6? Please read all the poll options and select the one that best describes you as a gamer of this game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will GM once in a while, but I feel too much like I'm constantly metagaming and it gets boring for me because of that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say i GM 70% play 30%..
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I will GM once in a while, but I feel too much like I'm constantly metagaming and it gets boring for me because of that.

The feeling of constantly metagaming is from the player in you. GMs are the gods of their game universe. They can't technically metagame because they are supposed to have knowledge of things that each individual NPC they play wouldn't all have. But I can see how players who just want to totally immerse themselves in the role of a single PC they are playing might be bored with GMing and all the extra stuff you have to know. I might want to be a player if the GM was a lot like me, otherwise I love being the GM and doing my parts towards making a good story.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm primarily a GM, and prefer to be GM. I actually feel rather bored when I'm a player.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about the game.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I'm primarily a GM, and prefer to be GM.

Me too.

Grimace wrote:
I actually feel rather bored when I'm a player.

Unless it is really good GM, I'm usually bored as a player too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to be a player, but for the most part i am GM and happy in either role.
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last post from January... so kinda resurrecting a topic here but I wanted to open a similar thread and found this one which is perfect!

I am mainly a GM. I have been mastering a Star Wars game (1st Ed.) for about 1 year and from time to time I run one shots of Call of Cthulhu and Honey Heist.

I had always wanted to play rpgs but nobody that I know did so had to start my own thing. Problem is that I have always approached rpgs from a GM perspective, from the very beginning.

So there's been a couple of times that some of my players wanted to GM and to be honest it has always been a disappointment.
I could tell that my friend was making stuff up on the go so badly nothing made sense within the story. My character had no reason to be in the adventure and the master didn't even know the rules.

He has this weird attitude of... ' I don't need a book or rules to run an adventure for you guys'... which kinda annoys me a bit. It's not that he knows the rules and doesn't want to go in detail... it's that he doesn't even know the basic rules. So in comparison with them... as a player I look like a rules obsessed weirdo... when he didn't even know that in Call of Cthulhu to pass a check you need to roll below your percentage. As in the basic mechanics. To me that's the equivalent of turning up to a game of chess without knowing how the pieces move.

I recommended him Cthulhu Dark and said I wouldn't make it to the next game he runs. Massive waste of time....

So I would love to meet GMs and experience a good game as a player but... so far no luck.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Are you primarily a GM or Player for Star Wars D6? Reply with quote

Lord Zash wrote:
... so kinda resurrecting a topic here but I wanted to open a similar thread and found this one which is perfect!

I am mainly a GM. I have been mastering a Star Wars game (1st Ed.) for about 1 year and from time to time I run one shots of Call of Cthulhu and Honey Heist.

I had always wanted to play rpgs but nobody that I know did so had to start my own thing. Problem is that I have always approached rpgs from a GM perspective, from the very beginning.

So there's been a couple of times that some of my players wanted to GM and to be honest it has always been a disappointment.
I could tell that my friend was making stuff up on the go so badly nothing made sense within the story. My character had no reason to be in the adventure and the master didn't even know the rules.

He has this weird attitude of... ' I don't need a book or rules to run an adventure for you guys'... which kinda annoys me a bit. It's not that he knows the rules and doesn't want to go in detail... it's that he doesn't even know the basic rules. So in comparison with them... as a player I look like a rules obsessed weirdo... when he didn't even know that in Call of Cthulhu to pass a check you need to roll below your percentage. As in the basic mechanics. To me that's the equivalent of turning up to a game of chess without knowing how the pieces move.

I recommended him Cthulhu Dark and said I wouldn't make it to the next game he runs. Massive waste of time....

So I would love to meet GMs and experience a good game as a player but... so far no luck.

That sucks. I think we've probably all experienced being a player under a bad GM for one game or another. That is an extreme case though! When my SW players who are normally only players have wanted to take a shot at GMing an adventure or two and I was a player, they were at least familiar with the rules even if the story didn't make total sense. And when they had a rules question, they would just ask me. I'm rarely a player but I have to say I have been fairly blessed by having good GMs for the campaigns I have been a player in (mostly SW, D&D or Cthulhu). For one-offs, I have found that convention playing is a mixed bag for sure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've both played and GMed. Right now I'm mostly a GM. And generally when I've been playing a game for long enough and the GM wants a break, I'll hop into the driver's seat for a few months and let the GM collect themselves.

Right now, though, I'd say that GMing is a bit harder than it had used to be. I think it's just because of the schedules that I'm keeping and having two teenagers (who are also part of the game). When I'm doing game prep, I'm usually doing it over a few days on the train on my way to and from work. But it also just takes a lot of emotional energy to keep things moving at the table, particularly when family dynamics enter the gaming sphere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: