The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Planet Generation System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Planet Generation System Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Planet Generation System Reply with quote

I've never used it. From the Planets Collection.

I'm going to use it for the first time, here, for the world of Lusdu. I've established that Lusdu is in the Core Systems, not far from Alderaan.

Main Planet Function: Agriculture.

Secondary Function: Mining.

Tre Function: Subsistence.

I rolled three to give the world some depth. The Main Planet Function is what the world is known for now. Lusdu is an old place. Ancient.

It is an agricultural world now, growing foodstuffs to feed the Core. It used to be a Mining world, but the mines are all tapped out.

This would be a good place to set Mesa 291 from the 1E Core Rulebook "Rebel Breakout" adventure.

My thought that the people of Lusdu are fairly liberal, which is unusual for a Core World in Palpatine's Empire. They open their world to aliens of all sorts. And, because many aliens are persecuted in the Core Worlds, a vast majority of them end up on Lusdu.

The world is the main refugee destination for those who survived Alderaan.

Lusdu is overpopulated, going bankrupt, and running out of food to feed all the beings. There are lines for all goods and services.

The Empire has arrived, and Martial Law is expected at any time.

I'm just goofing here. I may use this in a game. Lusdu is the world that is mentioned at the start of the Graveyard of Alderaan adventure.

If you have input, I'd love to hear it. I'm always open to better ideas!

Plus, I just want to fool around with the Planet Generation System.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUSDU

Government: Guild or Professional Organization.

Influence: Monarchy

I rolled twice. One for the world's current government. "Influence" referrs to a powerful organization of influence within the government.

This is interesting. I love this kind of thing--figuring out how the world got the way it is given the parameters.

I'm going to have to think about this.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the world originally being a monarchy that had a strong guild that eventually took over government.

Or, what about a Guild World where the General Manager or whomever is in charge evolved into a monarchy over the years--it's still a Guild World, but with the Monarchy in control.

I could figure in the over mining into this. Maybe the original Guild over-mined the world, and a monarchy has come to power to protect the world. Now, the monarchy is in the process of converting the world to agriculture, with mining being outlawed and banned. Lusdu is mined out, anyway.

Just ideas.

I'd like to work the "open door policy" of the Aliens into this, too.

Have to think.

Let it simmer.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUSDU

Planet Type: Terrestrial.

My initial thought was that Lusdu would be a satellite of a gas giant. I know I can just pick it instead of roll it. But, I like random results.

We'll go with this.

Terrain Type: Cave.

Interesting! This goes with the abandoned, mined out mines!

We could have lots of volcanic activity. In my head, I'm picturing these impossibly deep canyons with--maybe scars from these huge mines that drilled almost to the planet's core. Walkways and cities cling to the sides of the walls of the canyon.

See....this is why I love ransoming rolling this stuff. This is already a hell of a lot more interesting than what I was planning before I decided to use these rules!

Just for grins, a rolled a second time on the Terrain Type chart to find a secondary terrain. I got a 64, which is "Special Terrain".

It's hitting me on the head: Huge Canyons Cover the planet.

There could also be something else, like Crait, with it's red salt surface and its crystal core caves.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUSDU

Temperature:
Temperate.

Gravity:
Standard.

Atmosphere: Type I "Breathable"

This is the best for humans. I'm going to go ahead and give the world a straight up, zero axial tilt. That will mean no seasons.

So Lusdu is in the 29 to 85 degrees F all year long.

I could mess with this a bit by the world's orbit. I may think about that.

I like the idea of it having great weather all year long. That sounds like a Core World. So, an elliptical orbit that is fairly round, or so.

Hydrosphere: Moderate.

This means that 15-49% of the world is covered by land. The rest is water. And, since it is mountainous (as I establish above), this indicates many more terrain types.

Lusdu was heavily mined in its oceans, too.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I work through the system, I just had an idea about the agriculture. I'm thinking that there is a special fungi that grows on the side of the canyon walls and inside the caves that is important for....something. So, it's not traditional food that is the agriculture, but this fungi that started showing up after the place was mined out.

Or, how bout these thick, 5' trees that look kinda like broccoli?

Need to figure a practical purposes--hopefully rare--for this broccoli/fungi.

In my head, I'm seeing these fungi workers, swinging along the side of the canyons, using these long ropes, doing their work.

And the Aliens! Maybe the reason the Aliens are welcome is for the work! It's a Star Wars version of immigrant migrant workers. Hanging on those cords, harvesting the fungi off the side of the canyon walls, with the winds whipping through there is dangerous work.

Lusdu pays the Aliens less than standard wage to do it.

Maybe they're not so liberal after all!

LUSDU

Length of Day: 24 hours.

Interesting. Rolled it.

Length of Year: Around 90 days.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUSDU

Starport:
Stellar Class

Ah...it's a Core World planet with a Stellar Class starport. The planet's age is and recent misfortune is starting to show. This fits just fine. It's what I was thinking anyway (and I got a +2 mod on the starport type). The world is slowly turning into a backwater. It's not as important a world as it used to be when it was a mining hub.

Thought: There is world worship among many of the people. This was actually started by the Monarchy in the wake of the devastation from being mined out. It's a totally made-up religion to get the masses interested in saving their homeworld. The Fungi started appearing naturally in the mined out caves and on the side of the canyons. The fungi wasn't always there.

Maybe it's not native to Lusdu.

Or, maybe the Fungi was created when the right conditions for it were established by the mined out mines--a fortuitous side-effect that no one could have predicted.

Some of the believers believe that the Fungi is divinely created by Mother Lusdu--the world itself.

Some believe that it is the Force and the World acting together.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUSDU

Technology Level:
Space

I'm rolling all this, and this world is just falling into place. I'm digging it.

Population: 150,000

OK, so this isn't what I was looking for, but I'm going to stick with it. This changes the concept of the world a bit. And, the population fits with the "Guild/mine" concept.

I might make the world a bunch of religious zealots who worship the world, with that low of a population.

Things are still tight. There are still lines. But, we're talking about, basically, a mined out world that has one area still livable on it. An old mine/city where the fungi is growing.

It must be growing only in one spot.

I might mess with the weather a bit, too. If I angle it to the cold side, or do something like make it tidal locked, there cold be a pocket of paradise weather and the rest a mined out hulk of a world that stays around freezing most of the year.

Need to process all this.

Lusdu - the name of the main world.

Prisillis - name of the star/system.

Lusun - the name of a moon of Lusdu (or a close neighbor world--not developed).

Lusset - same. I'm thinking that Lusdu has two moons, Lusun and Lusset. Lusset is smaller than Lusun.

Lusset has an atmosphere, and there is a time during the orbits that the atmospheres from both worlds touch--allowing atmospheric flight between the worlds.

I saw this in an old Tales of the Jedi comic, and I always thought that idea neat.

Maybe the Fungi actually came from spores from Lusset?

Lots of thinking needed.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planet Generation System.

I like it! I like it A LOT.

It is easy to use. A GM could scramble up a world for the PCs easy by going through this process. And, it's a creativity generator--makes you think of neat, Space Opera idea for your world.

I'm glad I went through this process.

Lusdu is a heck of a lot more interesting than what I was originally going to do with it.

I could develop the moons of Lusun and Lusset, too.

I'm thinking that the mining company has packed up and left, but still holds the rights to the planet.

What mining company?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea: I'm thinking about linking the name of the planet with the mining company that owns the world.

For example, if I tied the company to the Lant Mining Corp from the Brak Sector, Lusdu could be something like...

Lant Under-crust and Surface Drilling Utility.

A professional designation--acronym--that became the name of the world over centuries. L.U.S.D.U. become Lusdu.

Liaison Union Saturation Deep Usage

Leffer Unified Service Depot U-block

LoBald U-Flow Station Delver Unit

LANT Uranium Sub-surface Drilling Unit
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of ideas for the facility at Lusdu.

There's only 150,000 people at this facility. Maybe This Is More Appropriate.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something. It makes sense to link Lusdu with Outpost 11 in the Alderaan system. This is why the miners went to Lusdu.

Lusdu could be the HQ for the mining company, or the closest full installation.

Free thinking here.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the Traveller system creation rules and the Universal Planetary Profile. You could look at it tell how big the planet, how much water, what the atmosphere was, how big a population, government type, tech level, etc. If you used the Merchant Price rules you could expand the UPP to include trade goods, etc.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we've got a 24 hour day, a 90 day year, and temperature that swings from 30 to 80 degrees F. Wow, what an atmospheric system!

Prisillis must be a dim star. Lusdu is close to the primary in order to be in the habital zone.

It must rain all the time. The oceans must have incredible storms. The canyons known for their quick and deadly flash floods.

Since the world started as a mining installation, the planet's word for year is a "Fiscal".

Since there are no real seasons, there are no months. The fiscal is made up of 90, 24 hour, days.

I need to make up some kind of flying beast that people can ride from mesa to mesa.

Again, Mesa 291 from Rebel Breakout in the 1E core book would fit perfect here.

Weather.

D6

1. 30 degrees
2. 40 degrees
3. 50 degrees
4. 60 degrees
5. 70 degrees
6. 80 degrees

On any particular day, roll 1D on the Weather Chart to find the average temperature (around the structure where all the people are).

If during days 1-30, then add a -1 DM to the roll.

If during days 31-60, then use no modifier.

If during days 61-90, then use a +1 DM to the roll.

Once weather is established for one day, there is a 50% chance that the same general weather will happen the next day. If not, then roll normally.

Rain.

Days 1-30, rain happens on a roll of 4+, rolling 1D6.

Days 31-60, rain happens on a roll of 5+, rolling 1D6.

Days 61-90, rain happens on a roll of 6, rolling 1D6.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I always liked the Traveller system creation rules and the Universal Planetary Profile. You could look at it tell how big the planet, how much water, what the atmosphere was, how big a population, government type, tech level, etc. If you used the Merchant Price rules you could expand the UPP to include trade goods, etc.

I like them too...except I think they are too detailed. I used to use DGP's Grand Census and Grand Survey all the time.

But, it took so loooong to use those rules.

These are perfect for Star Wars. Space Opera. Quick, with enough detail to spur the imagination.

Traveller rules are, of course, more realistic--but require a lot of work on the part of the GM.

I don't have to go into the detail that I am with Lusdu. I'm just enjoying the process.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that I have random rolled a recreation of the world of Eadu, from Rogue One!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: