The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Small Universe Syndrome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Small Universe Syndrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Small Universe Syndrome Reply with quote

I really hate the small universe syndrome started by Lucas in the prequels. Vader made 3P0 as a kid. Chewbacca fought with Yoda during the Clone Wars. Boba Fett is a clone, just like all the original stormtroopers, his dad being the template.

Bantha Burgers and Jawa Juice outside of Tatooine. I mean, it's a secluded world in the armpit on nowhere, but back on the capital planet in the core worlds, a popular drink is named after one of Tatooine's indigenous species!

Pick one thing. Not all of them. I'm sure I missed some.

So, I mentioned in another thread that I was starting to watch the Clone Wars. And, here we go. Small Universe city.

Jabba is so damn powerful, he can influence the head of the Republic to send Jedi Knights to search for his kid.

And...here we go, back to Tattooine. For such a small, out of the way, forgotten watering hole, it sure gets a lot of traffic by the galaxy's biggest movers and shakers.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of it that way, but mentioning it makes me think in similar lines as well.

To me it is more like a huge city, maybe a county or country, with planets like tatooine and other backwater worlds being the slums, the most rural areas, and such, the hutt space being much like high crime areas, like the 1920 parts of chicago being outright ran and controlled by criminal gangs and mobsters.

The more city like and political centers, naturally representing the business, political, wealthy city areas.
capital hill, the white house and such areas.

so yeah I most certainly see the small universe as well
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree. Having some sort of tie between them all is ok, but not to the level we've been getting..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I also agree. Having some sort of tie between them all is ok, but not to the level we've been getting..

I'm good with the Jango Fett clone thing. But, that should be it. And, I'm not sure I'm 100% OK with that.

One coincidence can be believable. More than that, you lose the audience, and they begin to roll their eyes.

Star Wars isn't Forrest Gump.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it’s very strange they cloned no-one else.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Well, it’s very strange they cloned no-one else.

I think that we're about to find out that Rey was cloned.

And...maybe Snoke is a clone screw up.

Just a guess. Wink
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Small Universe Syndrome Reply with quote

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=177106&highlight=refrain+expressing+excessive+negativity#177106

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I really hate the small universe syndrome started by Lucas in the prequels. Vader made 3P0 as a kid. Chewbacca fought with Yoda during the Clone Wars. Boba Fett is a clone, just like all the original stormtroopers, his dad being the template.

You really need to defog all the nostalgia off your goggles. This wasn't anything new with the prequels. It all started back in the classic films where Artoo was on a mission to find Obi-Wan. He and Theepio get picked up by the same Jawas and just happen to get sold to the family of Luke Skywalker, who Obi-Wan is on Tatooine protecting. And then in TESB Darth Vader ends up being Luke's father. How convenient. And Lucas even admits that Leia was not originally planned on being Luke's sister. The long-lost sister was going to be a new character in a longer series. But in 1980 when he decided to make RotJ his last sequel, instead of not having any long-lost sister he made Leia the sister, which made Artoo going from sister to a brother she didn't know while evading their father they didn't know in ANH smaller than it already was. The "small universe" syndrome is really classic. It's just yet another thing on the prequel bash checklist shared by fanboys whose typical first verb in their post is "hate."

Star Wars background notes from before the first film show Lucas conceiving Threepio as being reconstructed by a junk dealer working boy in the outer rim. For his research for the prequels Lucas determined age 9 to be the age that parental separation would be most traumatic later in life, and that to be the impetus of Anakin's journey to the Dark Side, making Anakin be that boy who created Theepio is a no-brainer.

And Boba Fett was originally conceived as an Imperial commando (the original armor they made was actually all white). In 1978 Lucasfilm officially stated that stormtroopers are clones (just not necessarily clones of all the same person), which means Boba Fett was originally conceived of as a clone. Yes Jango Fett was newly conceived of for the prequels but since the clone army was the basis for the Imperial stormtroopers and clones need a template to be based on, it made a lot of sense to have the armored mercenary be the source of the clones and Boba Fett.

The only one that really feels a bit superfluous to me is Yoda knowing Chewbacca. They even completely skip Kashyyyk in the novelization to save that Chewie fan service for the film. Good relations Yoda has with the Wookiees but it would have made more sense if Chewie was shown to be a Wookiee prince like he was at one point in his development. However, Chewie is my favorite alien character in SW (and I got to chat with Peter Mayhew in person one time). It was cool for him to even have a cameo in RotS, so I just find that it doesn't really bother me that much.

With Star Wars having so much talk of 'destiny', all these "small world" connections don't feel out of place to me (even the ones in the classic trilogy that I am not blind to).

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Bantha Burgers and Jawa Juice outside of Tatooine. I mean, it's a secluded world in the armpit on nowhere, but back on the capital planet in the core worlds, a popular drink is named after one of Tatooine's indigenous species!

Here on our little planet, we have a lot of words that have multiple unrelated meanings. SW is a BIIIG galaxy and I think it is possible that there are more than one possible kind of "jawa". I took jawa juice as nothing more than a little joke from Lucas based on the similarities of the words java and jawa. Hardly anything to rant about.

And Bantha Burgers? I'm disappointed in you about that one. WEG Tatooine Manhunt established that Banthas are ubiquitous across the galaxy. Remember the Dim-U cult that worshipped them because of that?

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
And...here we go, back to Tattooine. For such a small, out of the way, forgotten watering hole, it sure gets a lot of traffic by the galaxy's biggest movers and shakers.

Jabba the Hutt is one of the more powerful crime lords in the galaxy, and he lives on the remote planet on purpose. But he does have a lot of influence over Hutt Space hyperlanes so that part of that "movie" didn't bother me.

What did bother me is Anakin returning to Tatooine. Anakin refusing to ever go back there is the only thing that makes sense with Luke still having his last name. So it doesn't make sense to me that Anakin already returned there during the clone wars. Of course there are quite a lot of things in TCW that don't make sense to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Contrived Coincidences in the SWU (both Legends and Canon) are nothing new and lots of them even get lampshaded.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'm good with the Jango Fett clone thing. But, that should be it. And, I'm not sure I'm 100% OK with that.

One coincidence can be believable. More than that, you lose the audience, and they begin to roll their eyes.

Star Wars isn't Forrest Gump.

True, i can see Jango being used for the clone template, but not boba being a regularly made clone...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, i can see Jango being used for the clone template, but not boba being a regularly made clone...

If by regular you mean unaltered, then yes he was. If by regular you mean made the same as all the other clones, he wasn't. The clones were altered to grow old twice as fast and be less independent.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Jango requested what ever parent winds up learning to their regret...

"By the Force, I am raising an exact duplicate of me... I was *such* a little s***."

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: