The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill Effect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Skill Effect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Skill Effect Reply with quote

Skill Effect
For most situations, the only thing that needs to be determined is whether or not the character succeeds. If the character's total throw after applying all modifiers equals or exceeds the target difficulty, he succeeds. If it is less, he fails.

Sometimes it is important to know how well the character did or how bad. To do this, subtract the target number from the dice pool roll, including any modifiers. This margin of success (or failure) is the Effect which can be consulted on the Effect Results Table. Note that negative modifiers add to the difficulty number, they do not subtract from the character’s dice pool.

For example, if a character rolls a total of 10 versus difficulty Moderate (15) with a -1D negative modifier, the GM rolls 3, the difficulty is now 18, his Effect is (15–10) 8 Average Failure.

Chart updated April-28-2018
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

I have actually been looking at something like this.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the criticals. Both the failure and the success and the up to 1D modifier.

have you though of using maybe an effect table.

roll 2D
2-4 weapon jams and you must spend the next round clearing it before you can fire
5-7 you fail at fixing the generator and break some parts, you will need to buy some spare parts to get it back, it can only operate at 50% until then

etc etc.

if combined with the above modifiers for some form of table that is long enough to roll and add up to a +1D on the roll like a second critical table with this one giving the criticals, and the second the added effect?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games the ranges are:

-10 Exceptional Failure
-4 to -9 Average Failure
1 to 9 Average Success
10+ Spectacular Success

Mamatried wrote:

No I have not even thought of a table. As a skill effect and what happens either negatively or positively is specific to the skill used as well as the scene. So, its up to the GM and/or player(s).
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
In my games the ranges are:

-10 Exceptional Failure
-4 to -9 Average Failure
1 to 9 Average Success
10+ Spectacular Success

Mamatried wrote:

No I have not even thought of a table. As a skill effect and what happens either negatively or positively is specific to the skill used as well as the scene. So, its up to the GM and/or player(s).

yeah, I can see that.

You'd need a table for almost every skill, way too much work
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often used something similar.. When someone fails i 'grade' it as to how much of a failure, often so they can decide how many CP to spend, or if they are needing to do so..

A marginal failure 0-3 less, poor failure 4 to 8, 9-12 is an average one, 12-15, is a solid failure, 17-20 is a very poor failure. and so on..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when a skill is high enough, and the task simple enough, that it always (or almost always) turns out a spectacular success?

Let's say we're talking about a master weapons smith, for example. He can build "simple" weapons that always deal +1D damage (or whatever you want to put that +1D bonus on) with almost no effort.

And, when spending a FP, do you get to take credit for the spectacular success, and deal +1D damage after a successful attack (or whatever)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the spectactular success benefit should NOT count if they are on a FP. As for one whos skill is already so high they will be 'assumed' to always be able to hit that spot, again i say no. THE MORE skilled you are, the harder it is to learn something new in that skill imo.. And that's what happens with gaining a one time bonus for a critical success..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be your threshold?

Say I have 9D in Brawling, and my opponent has 3D in Brawling Parry, and I continuously roll 15 or more over his result.

Do I get that +1D bonus (I presume it would be on damage) each time? Just the first time? What about against different opponents? Is it just once ever in my life, or is it once per opponent? Once per fight? Once per fight, per opponent? Or, could we reason that a "spectacular success" represents something like a knock out punch, and so always gets that bonus to damage?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Skill Effect Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Skill Effect
For most situations, the only thing that needs to be determined is whether or not the character succeeds. If the character's total throw after applying all modifiers equals or exceeds the target difficulty, he succeeds. If it is less, he fails.

Sometimes it is important to know how well the character did or how bad. To do this, subtract the target number from the dice pool roll, including any modifiers. This margin of success (or failure) is the Effect which can be consulted on the Effect Results Table. Note that negative modifiers add to the difficulty number, they do not subtract from the character’s dice pool.

For example, if a character rolls a total of 10 versus difficulty Moderate (15) with a -1D negative modifier, the GM rolls 3, the difficulty is now 18, his Effect is (15–10) 8 Average Failure.

Like it. Intuitive.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What happens when a skill is high enough, and the task simple enough, that it always (or almost always) turns out a spectacular success?

Easy tasks or those tasks whose outcome is not in doubt do not need to be rolled. A character with a high 'craft' skill does not need to roll for 'simple' tasks. The GM should assess how long the 'crafting' takes and the expenses for crafting the item.

Below, you will see that I updated the description of 'spectacular success'. Any type of advantage or modifier is temporary, typically lasting a round or two, but no longer than to the close of the scene.

'Crafting' items and 'spectacular success' could be treated differently. Some possible outcomes could be:

-- The item is beautiful and intricate, is value its x5 normal.
-- The item is sturdier than most, body +1D STR
-- The instrument is beautifully made and has a beautiful sound +1D to perform.

Naaman wrote:
Let's say we're talking about a master weapons smith, for example. He can build "simple" weapons that always deal +1D damage (or whatever you want to put that +1D bonus on) with almost no effort.

The issue comes from an improper write-up.

Spectacular Success: The character succeeds in an impressive way. The GM may award a temporary situational/environmental advantage or modifier (no more than +1D) specifically related to the skill used, lasting one or more rounds, but no longer than the scene."

Naaman wrote:
And, when spending a FP, do you get to take credit for the spectacular success, and deal +1D damage after a successful attack (or whatever)?

garhkal wrote:
IMO the spectactular success benefit should NOT count if they are on a FP.

If the player is using a Force Point, then I would assume the difficulty to be quite high. The difficulty itself is the limiting mechanic. Beside, aren't heroic things supposed to happen when the hero is performing such an action? I see no issue.

Also keep in mind the wording "The GM may award a temporary situational/environmental advantage or modifier..." The award may be nothing more than a cool narration of the skill use, something added or changed in the scene that may or may not give an advantage to the player/player group, the advantage is to last 1 or more rounds but no longer than to the close of the scene.

Naaman wrote:
What would be your threshold?

Say I have 9D in Brawling, and my opponent has 3D in Brawling Parry, and I continuously roll 15 or more over his result.

Do I get that +1D bonus (I presume it would be on damage) each time? Just the first time? What about against different opponents? Is it just once ever in my life, or is it once per opponent? Once per fight? Once per fight, per opponent? Or, could we reason that a "spectacular success" represents something like a knock out punch, and so always gets that bonus to damage?

I blame the my bad writing of the 'spectacular success' outcome for this misunderstanding. When a 'spectacular success' is rolled the GM is under no obligation to give an advantage to the player (situational, environmental, skill based, die modifier, etc) beyond a really cool narration.

In the example you give above possible outcomes could be:

-- A simple narration in which the player performs the skill in a highly cinematic way.
-- Your opponent stumbles from the blow and must make a DEX roll to remain standing.
-- You hit your opponent so hard he flies back, hitting the door control, shutting and locking the door.
-- Your opponent cartwheels from your mighty blow into two other guards, tangling them up for one round.
-- You punch the trooper in such a way that the blow knocks out his helmet comlink so he cannot call for reinforcements.
-- The opponent cartwheels away sprawling over a computer terminal, you hear a buzzing sound, followed by a click, you look to the monitor and see that all the doors in block D have unlocked.

None of these possible outcomes gives a modifier to damage, the ability to hit the target better in the next round, but all of them relate back to the skill used.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in the critical success is at most a possible ( if awarded by the gm) an up to +1D bonus to a related action within the next round/turn?

As to damage I could see adding a +1, +2 and even a +1D to a damage result, depending on the success.

On ever attack even, though I would then require a called shot check.

The two men brawl, on suddenly finds a weakspot in the other, due to the fluidity of movement in close combat, hitting the same spot again is now a challenge, but at the success it will give the bonus to damage.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Am I right in the critical success is at most a possible ( if awarded by the gm) an up to +1D bonus to a related action within the next round/turn?

Quote:
Spectacular Success: The character succeeds in an impressive way. The GM may award a temporary situational/environmental advantage or modifier (no more than +1D) specifically related to the skill used, lasting one or more rounds, but no longer than the scene."

My intent for 'situational/environmental advantage' are things that could affect more than just the player who made the 'spectacular success'. Whereas the 'modifier' would be something specifically awarded to the player who made the 'spectacular success'.

I would say that depending on what the 'advantage' is, it could be either; immediate or next round moving forward. I think this is something best handled by the GM as dictated by the given scene players are interacting with.

Mamatried wrote:
As to damage I could see adding a +1, +2 and even a +1D to a damage result, depending on the success.

Quote:
modifier (no more than +1D)...

Though not stated, the wording is that a 'modifier' could be up to +1D, which would include +1, +2. Perhaps a clarification such as:

modifier (+1, +2 or +1D)...

Mamatried wrote:
On ever attack even, though I would then require a called shot check.

Absolutely this could happen using the table. The GM assesses a negative modifier for the called shot, locates the range modifier, adds them together, the player rolls, compares and if 15+ the GM could do several things:

-- You find a weak spot in the visor, +1D damage.
-- Not only do you hit but the target is momentarily blinded.
-- Not only do you hit but the target is momentarily blinded and deaf.
-- You hit the target in the head, shorting out their HUD.
-- You hit the target in the head, shorting out their HUD and targeting display.

There are lots of things a GM can come up with that give a small, but could addition to the narrative to award a 'spectacular success' and not just with combat rolls.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Also keep in mind the wording "The GM may award a temporary situational/environmental advantage or modifier..." The award may be nothing more than a cool narration of the skill use, something added or changed in the scene that may or may not give an advantage to the player/player group, the advantage is to last 1 or more rounds but no longer than to the close of the scene..

True, it Is a "MAY or may not do XYZ"/ So i yield that aspect of my concern...

Quote:
None of these possible outcomes gives a modifier to damage, the ability to hit the target better in the next round, but all of them relate back to the skill used.

That makes more sense now..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: