The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hinted a lot about the Unknown Regions in TFA and in so many of the books and other materials in the past few years. I was really expecting TLJ to take us there—Luke and Rey taking the fight back to Snoke, and uncovering the UR’s mysteries. Hopefully one of the coming series is ambitious and creative enough to go there.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was vague in the book, so I'm not quite sure about this, but it sounds like Holdo took out more than just the Supremacy with her suicide run. I think she damaged several Star Destroyers, too.

The ship splits in half, in the book, with the two "wings" floating off into space. Thousands of escape pods fire. The FO has its hand full in rescuing those from this giant ship.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close to finishing this book....

Major Revelation:

I've been reading the books, studying the movies, and checking out the extras like the Incredible Cross-Sections books. When it comes to Star Wars, I've been tappin' a vein.

I haven't seen this anywhere. I knew that General Hux's father was dead, and I knew that the elder Hux is the one who created the Stormtrooper program for the First Order.

What I didn't know: Hux killed his own father, took over the Stormtrooper program, and rose in the ranks of the First Order (over the bodies of other professional rivals).

Rey:

She gets off the Supremacy by stealing a shuttle. The ship is in two halves after Holdo's maneuver, and the scene outside the ship is crazy with debris, escape pods, and rescue ships doing what they can do to help their comrades.

It is easy to disguise the shuttle among all this. She waits for the Falcon. When Chewie arrives, they dock and she comes aboard. A few TIEs take notice and attack the Falcon, but it ain't no big thang.

I wonder if Rey will start the next movie with a lightsaber? Since hers was destroyed.

Battle of Crait:

This is done well. It's an extended section as the book describes the Resistance take over the old base. Leia has been here before, back before she was a princess. I believe that a YA story covers this visit. Bail Organa financed the base.

The Resistance fighters in the ski speeders have a hell of a time with the TIEs. The speeders can't get enough altitude to get the enemy ships in their sights. The Falcon saves the day.

The siege laser is described well. The damn thing starts to gen up. It gets so hot around it that it liquefies the salt on the ground and sets fire to spots in the atmosphere.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Influence on the way FO stormtroopers are created came from both the Jedi and from Palpatine's Clone Warriors.

In both cases, people are taken at a young age and trained their entire life to become "X". The Jedi identify Force Sensitives as early as possible and take them away from their families to grow up in the Jedi Temple.

Palpatine's Clone Warriors were grown, from birth, to be warriors for the Republic.

The Hux program, for the FO, takes conscripts at a very young age and trains them from as early as possible to be loyal stormtroopers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
It was vague in the book, so I'm not quite sure about this, but it sounds like Holdo took out more than just the Supremacy with her suicide run. I think she damaged several Star Destroyers, too.

The ship splits in half, in the book, with the two "wings" floating off into space. Thousands of escape pods fire. The FO has its hand full in rescuing those from this giant ship.

If you closely watch the visuals, she DID destroy/slice up a # of the destroyers behind the big wing...
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If you closely watch the visuals, she DID destroy/slice up a # of the destroyers behind the big wing...

I'll have to check that out. I've been staying away from the DVD because I was experiencing the tale via the audio book.

I'll be watching TLJ again soon.

That certainly sounds like what is intended in the book.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the book. The ending was...beautiful. It was really well done.

It was sad. But, it was also hopeful. I'd say that, although the events were about the same, the book took on more emotion because it got into the heads of the characters. You felt what they felt.

Plus, the music and production quality, being top notch throughout the entire book, really out did itself at the end.

A couple of notes....

When Luke's Force Ghost kisses Leia on the head, she knows---she knows what Luke is doing, and she knows that it is his essence there but not his flesh.

When Kylo storms into the vacant Resistance hideout and finds the dice, he has another moment connecting thought with Rey. She has the willpower to cut him off immediately. She done with him. Ben Solo is the enemy.

I don't think that moment was in the film. Maybe it was. I'll need to watch for it the next time I see TLJ.

But, this flies in the face of Snoke putting the two together via the Force, as was explained earlier in the book. Or, maybe once you make a connection, its easier to do it again--I'd buy that.

When Luke passes, it is truly well done. He merges with the Force, and it's a bitter-sweet thing. It is truly beautiful, in a way. As he is passing, he hears a familiar voice...,"Luke...let go...".

There's a new scene as we go back to Ahch-to, and the caretakers prepare for the next one who will come to the island. They don't know when. It may be decades or even lifetimes. But, they know it will happen. And, they'll be prepared.

All in all, a damn good interpretation of the movie--a great adaptation. I recommend it. It was a very enjoyable listen.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb I appreciate you sharing all this detail of this film novelization since this is the first one I am not reading. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb I appreciate you sharing all this detail of this film novelization since this is the first one I am not reading. Thank you.

LOL. Not impressed, huh? Crying or Very sad
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing. The last scene in the book is that in the movie--the kid in Canto Bite who wills the broom to his hand through use of the Force.

There's more to this. This scene must happen a long time after the Battle on Crait, because he's heard of it. He's heard of this lone man--something they call a Jedi--who faced the entire First Order....alone!

There's no hit of the Force Ghost. The story is that a single man, Luke Skywalker, faced down the entire First Order offensive on Crait by himself.

I'm sure First Order people as well as Resistance folk spread the tale.

And Luke Skywalker, Master Jedi, passes into MYTH.

I thought that a damn cool way to end the book.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

I've seen the movie six times and it is in my bottom two Star Wars films. For the first time in nine movie, I just feel no motivation to read this film novelization. I've got a long reading list. You've been gracious enough to share your insights and reactions to the audiobook and I appreciate it, but no, sorry, from what you've posted I'm still not impressed enough to read the book. It is still the same basic story, right? Ackbar still died a meaningless death, didn't he? Holdo still kept the plan secret from Poe instead of just telling him about Crait in the first place, no? There still weren't any lightsaber duels, right? I'm sure I'll buy the book cheap someday to have in my collection, so maybe I'll read it someday, but at this point I can't imagine wanting to. (Maybe Episode IX or Rian Johnson's new film series will change my mind.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Oh, and one more thing. The last scene in the book is that in the movie--the kid in Canto Bite who wills the broom to his hand through use of the Force..

So did the novel expressly say the kid pulled the broom to himself via the force??
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

I've seen the movie six times and it is in my bottom two Star Wars films. For the first time in nine movie, I just feel no motivation to read this film novelization. I've got a long reading list. You've been gracious enough to share your insights and reactions to the audiobook and I appreciate it, but no, sorry, from what you've posted I'm still not impressed enough to read the book. It is still the same basic story, right? Ackbar still died a meaningless death, didn't he? Holdo still kept the plan secret from Poe instead of just telling him about Crait in the first place, no? There still weren't any lightsaber duels, right? I'm sure I'll buy the book cheap someday to have in my collection, so maybe I'll read it someday, but at this point I can't imagine wanting to. (Maybe Episode IX or Rian Johnson's new film series will change my mind.)

My big disappointment with the entire story is that I didn't get the resolution I wanted with Luke Skywalker.

I mean, yeah, he was heroic. And, yes, I'm going to accept the film for what it is.

But, man, what a missed opportunity!

I feel hollow about Luke's death. The same way I felt hollow about Kirk's death in Generations. Even Han's death didn't quite satisfy me.

These are my heroes. I want to see them go out in a super heroic way--that is IF they have to be killed at all! Can't they just get old? Can't they become mentors and play supporting parts to the new stars?

The only hero that has gone out really, really cool was Spock, in the Wrath of Khan. Now, THAT was a neat, cool death fitting of a hero.

And that was...how many decades ago? 1982?

Man, I wanted to see Luke come alive. Remember when everybody cheered when we finally saw Yoda fight in AofC? As soon as he pulled is lightsaber to take on Dooku, my entire theater came alive, clapping and hooting.

We needed that with Luke.

If he went out at all (and--they could have saved it for the climax in Ep IX, having Luke travel with them on the escape), he should have been the one to battle Snoke.

Rey takes on Kylo, and Luke beats the hell out of Snoke.

That would have been a lot cooler, in my book.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with Kirk's death. I'm ok with Qui-Gon, Ben Kenobi, and Anakin's deaths. I'm ok with Han's death (pending the outcome of Episode IX). I'm pretty much ok with Luke's death but I would have preferred if after projection-Luke disappears, Luke's X-wing comes flying out from behind the mountain and takes out an AT-AT before getting shot down, Luke surviving and having a real lightsaber duel with Kylo, and then he pulls a Ben Kenobi and fades away after the Resistance has had enough time to evacuate, denying Kylo the kill. Luke would still enter legend but with a better climax to the film. And Spock, yeah it's a great death and I cry every time even though I know he comes back in the next movie. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which of kirks deaths in generations are you on about? The first when the ribbon took him from the Enterprise B, or the other one, after Picard rescued him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: