The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb, you pointedly reported the explanation as interesting or meaningful, and now you are more than just reporting it. I criticized it, and then you defended it.

It is interesting because it is more information describing the story shown in the films. I'd say it is meaningful because of that, too.

I am just reporting it, but I also default to accepting it--as it is canon. Aren't the novelizations considered canon?

My defending it is part that acceptance and part devil's advocate.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:

I'm picturing something like a Holonet-enabled Beowulf cluster... instead of transmitting holographic images with sound, you send burst instructions to computers that think faster than light (i.e. faster than they can in realspace), and receive back your crunched numbers fairly rapidly. It requires some assumptions about hyperspace, but it works with what we've seen on screen.

If the speed of light is a limitation to computational power, then computers networked through the holonet (which uses hypernet transceivers and thus hyperspace) could increase the computational power of a computer system. The "hyperspace bubble" seems to be a non-network version where the processing speed of the single computer is sped up by using hyper-transmissions within the bubble. This is probably what the author was shooting for, but again, this works because the velocity of the transmissions is increased, not because time is in any way altered.

I agree, the hyperspace bubble seems weak, but I think I explained myself poorly for my idea of hyperspace computing

If the speed of light is a limitation on computational power, you fix it by moving your processors to where the speed of light is different... hyperspace. You can't simply put your two processors on either side of a Holonet connection (which is what I implied above), but, rather, you put your entire processing apparatus in Hyperspace, with input and outpout to realspace.

So, I feed in my data from my realspace terminal. It connects to the Hyperspace Processor, where the speed of light no longer limits processing speed. It processes it, faster than could be done in realspace, and then send the answer back to realspace.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
Quote:

I'm picturing something like a Holonet-enabled Beowulf cluster... instead of transmitting holographic images with sound, you send burst instructions to computers that think faster than light (i.e. faster than they can in realspace), and receive back your crunched numbers fairly rapidly. It requires some assumptions about hyperspace, but it works with what we've seen on screen.

If the speed of light is a limitation to computational power, then computers networked through the holonet (which uses hypernet transceivers and thus hyperspace) could increase the computational power of a computer system. The "hyperspace bubble" seems to be a non-network version where the processing speed of the single computer is sped up by using hyper-transmissions within the bubble. This is probably what the author was shooting for, but again, this works because the velocity of the transmissions is increased, not because time is in any way altered.

I agree, the hyperspace bubble seems weak, but I think I explained myself poorly for my idea of hyperspace computing

If the speed of light is a limitation on computational power, you fix it by moving your processors to where the speed of light is different... hyperspace. You can't simply put your two processors on either side of a Holonet connection (which is what I implied above), but, rather, you put your entire processing apparatus in Hyperspace, with input and outpout to realspace.

So, I feed in my data from my realspace terminal. It connects to the Hyperspace Processor, where the speed of light no longer limits processing speed. It processes it, faster than could be done in realspace, and then send the answer back to realspace.

That actually makes more sense. What you'd be dealing with there is less about the behavior of time, though, and more about the behavior of computers themselves as limited by the lightspeed barrier. Step past that barrier, and the limits on computers no longer exist.

I mean, there's still obviously real-world physics issues with it, but to me, that's enough to squeak past the "Space Opera" barrier. Smile
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Luke remained the only Jedi for quite a while--until Ben Solo was born

Sure "quite a while" is a relative term, but Ben was born less than a year after RotJ. Just saying.

I don't think Luke took Ben as an infant to train him. I bet we're talking about a decade or so. That qualifies for "quite a while," I would think.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two (maybe more) aspects of the Force. Luke describes the Living Force, which is what binds us and penetrates us and holds the galaxy together. The other aspect is the Cosmic Force, which is rarely encountered. But, this Force has a mind of its own, like the force of a god, making things happen--it's almost a consciousness. It had been dormant for a long time, then had an Awakening, recently.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Sure "quite a while" is a relative term, but Ben was born less than a year after RotJ. Just saying.

I don't think Luke took Ben as an infant to train him. I bet we're talking about a decade or so. That qualifies for "quite a while," I would think.

You said, "until Ben Solo was born" not 'until Ben Solo was about 10.' I see what mean now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

You said, "until Ben Solo was born" not 'until Ben Solo was about 10.' I see what mean now.

It doesn't stipulate an age.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that the production on this audiobook is top notch. Excellent narrator who does the various voices well. Sound effects. Music. It's a great book to listen to.

In the scene where Rey is in the elevator with Ben, going to see Snoke on the Supremacy, Ben tells her that one of the things he saw in her mind were her parents.

Interesting in that Rey doesn't know who they are yet Ben saw it in her mind.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
There are two (maybe more) aspects of the Force. Luke describes the Living Force, which is what binds us and penetrates us and holds the galaxy together. The other aspect is the Cosmic Force, which is rarely encountered. But, this Force has a mind of its own, like the force of a god, making things happen--it's almost a consciousness. It had been dormant for a long time, then had an Awakening, recently.

There is also the overarching Unifying Force, which connects the Living, Cosmic, Light and Dark aspects of the Force.

As far as the hyperspace bubble computer, this isn't an SWU-original idea. In the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual, it is noted that the main computer on the Enterprise is equipped with localized warp field generators to distort the flow of time, thus allowing FTL speeds to be achieved within the processors. There is also some precedent in the SWU for this, with the stasis fields from Han Solo at Stars' End, as well as some postulation to the effect that starships must be equipped with some sort of temporal distortion tech to offset relativity resulting from FTL travel.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
There is also the overarching Unifying Force, which connects the Living, Cosmic, Light and Dark aspects of the Force.

Where does this come from, CR? I guess it was a thing before the novel...

Quote:
There is also some precedent in the SWU for this, with the stasis fields from Han Solo at Stars' End, as well as some postulation to the effect that starships must be equipped with some sort of temporal distortion tech to offset relativity resulting from FTL travel.

Interesting. I read HSaSE, both the comic and the novel, and I have the Corporate Sector Handbook. But, I don't remember reading that. It was so long ago, though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Where does this come from, CR? I guess it was a thing before the novel...

I don't recall the exact reference, but there is an article for it on Wookieepedia that specifically identifies the Unifying Force as an umbrella aspect that encompasses everything else.

Quote:
Quote:
There is also some precedent in the SWU for this, with the stasis fields from Han Solo at Stars' End, as well as some postulation to the effect that starships must be equipped with some sort of temporal distortion tech to offset relativity resulting from FTL travel.

Interesting. I read HSaSE, both the comic and the novel, and I have the Corporate Sector Handbook. But, I don't remember reading that. It was so long ago, though.

The prison at Stars' End used stasis pods instead of regular cells. It kept the prisoners literally frozen in time until they were needed for interrogation. This, of course, required a constant, massive supply of power, but the reactor provided more than enough. Until Han Solo got to it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene where DJ, Rose, Finn, and BB-8 are sneaking through the Supremacy is quite longer in the book. They go to the laundry to find uniform disguises. In an elevator, they run into a stormtrooper squad where the squad commander recognizes Finn. Except, the trooper doesn't know that Finn is a traitor. He thinks Finn got promoted!

Therefore, the FO did not spread the news of FN-2187's defection very widely.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretenders to the Throne

The book mentions those who almost seized control of the failing Empire. Of course, Snoke, and his First Order, is the ultimate victor, but these power merchants are also mentioned--those who came close but did not quite make it.

Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax, from the Aftermath trilogy, commander of the Super Star Destroyer Ravager.

Admiral Rae Sloane, from the Kanan/New Dawn stories and the Aftermath trilogy, commander of the Star Destroyer Vigilance.

Ormes Aploin, New Republic Senator from Kuat, from the novel Bloodline.

General Brendol Hux, from the Aftermath trilogy, the Bloodline novel, and the Phasma novel. He is father of General Armitage Hux from TFA and TLJ. Brendol created the stormtrooper program for the First Order.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff...

Holdo's Plan

The Resistance jumped to where they did on purpose. They're in a system with a Shadow Planet. Crait. It's not on any of the Imperial Charts.

The Royal Family of Alderaan financed a Rebel Base here in the early days of the Civil War. This is before the formation of the Alliance, so even those in the Rebellion don't know of it.

It's strong and defensible, but using old tech that is decades old.

Now, the First Order has been keeping its distance from the Resistance Fleet in order to keep their people safe. No use in taking out TIE Fighters and their pilots when a little patience will see the end of the Resistance. The fleet pounds them from extreme range.

The transports that the Resistance uses to escape are small with low signatures. They're hard to detect from a distance. Plus, Rose has developed a new baffler technology that cuts that signature even smaller. This baffler is well developed in the book. We hear about it at least twice before. It's the reason that Rose was not out with her squadron, the bombers, in the beginning of the film. She's instructing techs on the capital ship on how to adapt the technology.

Holdo knew that she was going to sacrifice herself. It's something she did willingly in order to keep the others alive.

BTW, there was a lot of hub-bub on the net prior to the movie coming out stating that Holdo is a gay character. There's nothing, one way or the other, in the book about that.

Holdo's plan would have worked if it were not for DJ. He alerted the First Order to the transports. They decreased range a bit and re-adjusted scanners, looking for the small ships. Found them, and started blasting them.

DJ's reward is hard currency. Coins and such. No paper. No electronic money. He doesn't trust it. He's like Han Solo and his reward at the end of ANH. Boxes and boxes of coins and precious metals and such.

Palpatine and the Unknown Regions

Palpatine found something out in the Unknown Region. We aren't told what it is, but it led him to gaining power as the ultimate Sith. Snoke knows of it--whatever it is.

A mystery is established! I wonder if we'll hear more about this in later stories.

Palpatine is also a long term planner. He considers his plans in decades. That's how he finally took over the Republic, as we saw in the prequels.

Palpatine didn't stop once he became Emperor. He looked to the Unknown Regions. Secretly, he build an infrastructure out there: labs, ship yards, training facilities, bases, etc. Though, there was trouble. The species of the Unknown Regions didn't welcome this expansion with open arms. There were lots of problems--lots of military actions.

With Palpatine dead, and what was left of the Empire pulling back to the Unknown Regions after signing the armistice, the First Order--a fanatical political group within the Empire that grew out of Palpatine's New Order--seized control of what was left of the Empire and inherited the infrastructure that Palpatine had built decades before.

Today, the First Order has the largest military force known to exist (not bigger than the Old Empire, but the biggest cohesive military that exists now).

Snoke is quite powerful in the Force. He may be stronger than Palpatine. He knows Palpatine's secret--whatever it is--out in the Unknown Regions.

Snoke engineered the destruction of Luke's fledgling Jedi Academy.

Ben Solo

Is the "ultimate Vader". The aspects of Ben's grandfather are blown out of proportion within Ben. Where Vader was full of pain, Ben Solo's anger is so extreme that he can't contain it. Like a child, he blows up in tantrums.

Vader was known as one of the most powerful Force Users ever to exist. Ben is full of untrained, raw power--more than Vader--the most Luke has ever encountered.

Vader still carried some Light within him. His son brought that out in him and brought Vader back to the Light. Solo has so much Light and Dark within him that he is conflicted. It tears him apart. And, his father can't bring him to the Light--he kills his father hoping to quell the conflict inside him.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the fight with Snoke's guards, Rey realizes that she is in over her head. She's not trained for this, not even with what she's been able to absorb from the mind touch with Ben.

Instead of trying to control the Force, Rey completely gives herself to the Force--allows it to control her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: