The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Remastered Star Wars Soundtracks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Remastered Star Wars Soundtracks Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm not sure either. I wonder if the prequels will be that different. And for the OT, all this music is on the Anthology which didn't have the sound issues the Special Edition soundtracks did.

I didn't know the special edtions had sound issues! That's one of the sets that I have. LOL. Shocked
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm not sure either. I wonder if the prequels will be that different. And for the OT, all this music is on the Anthology which didn't have the sound issues the Special Edition soundtracks did.

I didn't know the special edtions had sound issues! That's one of the sets that I have. LOL. Shocked

Especially RotJ. You probably should get the new soundtracks. Since all you have are the SEs, you don't know what you're missing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

Especially RotJ. You probably should get the new soundtracks. Since all you have are the SEs, you don't know what you're missing.

I've got an older set, too, with the original trilogy and an extra disc of out-take and different-take music.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I've got an older set, too, with the original trilogy and an extra disc of out-take and different-take music.

So you've got the Anthology. Listen to the RotJ music on that and the RotJ SE soundtrack with some good headphones and I think you'll hear the difference.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're convincing me to spend $100 bucks or so on the new soundtracks. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

No, I'm not. The older 4-disc anthology was better quality than the SE soundtracks. At first I thought all you had were the SEs. Then you said you had the Anthology too. I was just saying compare the two RotJ albums you already have. I don't know how the new soundtracks will compare to the anthology. If they aren't better than that they they may not be worth getting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

No, I'm not. The older 4-disc anthology was better quality than the SE soundtracks. At first I thought all you had were the SEs. Then you said you had the Anthology too. I was just saying compare the two RotJ albums you already have. I don't know how the new soundtracks will compare to the anthology. If they aren't better than that they they may not be worth getting.

I guess I'm convincing myself to spend the C-Note, then. Shocked
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new remasters have a lot of serious problems according to the audiophiles on JWFan.com. Especially ESB, which is really too bad. Anyway, yeah, I’m sticking with the 1993 4-disc OT “Anthology” set. It’s great!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
These new remasters have a lot of serious problems according to the audiophiles on JWFan.com. Especially ESB, which is really too bad. Anyway, yeah, I’m sticking with the 1993 4-disc OT “Anthology” set. It’s great!

I like them a lot, but I think the Special Editions are a different experience.

The Anthology is the original soundtrack (sorta--gotta fit on CD), where the pieces were edited by Williams to be more like songs.

The two-CD Special Editions have the entire score--I think.

I definitely like both.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

I haven't had a chance to make it over there. Thanks for the report, Falconer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks for sharing these. For "Anakin's Dark Deeds" I'm not sure I like the bass drum but of course I'll want to hear the whole track to be sure. I'm wondering if Lucas directed the removal of the drums for the film and it got removed from the soundtrack to match the film? Maybe Lucas found out that the guitars he wanted removed from the "Chase Through Coruscant" still appear on the AotC soundtrack (which I love - I totally disagree with Lucas on that edit).

IIRC, Revenge of the Sith had a lot of percussion overdubs - particularly in the opening space battle and then the Yoda versus Palpatine fight in the Senate chamber. It *could* be that.

As to the electric guitar, that was purposely dialed out of the film by Ben Burtt. I'll have to find the source for the quote - Music From The Movies magazine? - but an interview with him said he was given quality control over the sound design (including music) and he said he preferred his work over John's. Very likely, the guitar got dialed out of the mix because it interfered with the sound Burtt created for the speeders?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense and perhaps that was for the best. But listening to the music outside the film, I like the little guitar sounds.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the prequel scores in the mail this morning. Sat down in my car to listen and ... Revenge Of The Sith has the bass drum overdubs in the opening space battle, as well as "Anakin's Dark Deeds". These albums have a good amount more reverb than the much "dryer" original albums. Some people won't like that but it doesn't bother me.

And yes, the old four disc Arista Box is still the best presentation of the OT. The Sony 2CD sets are pretty much trash.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Got the prequel scores in the mail this morning. Sat down in my car to listen and ... Revenge Of The Sith has the bass drum overdubs in the opening space battle, as well as "Anakin's Dark Deeds". These albums have a good amount more reverb than the much "dryer" original albums. Some people won't like that but it doesn't bother me.

Thanks. I want to get RotS just to have the alternate versions of those songs. When you've had a chance to listen to all three albums a couple times, I'd be very interested in your report on them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands right now, the one to get from the prequels is ROTS. All three of them have a much "wetter" sound - theres reverb in the tracks that wasn't there previously, and the sound is beefed up, while the "top" is cut off (the overall sound is louder but the high end brass sounds like it hits a "ceiling") which is a modern - and detestable - way of mixing pop music.

Theres also some odd mixing choices - Duel Of The Fates has the orchestra dialed VERY far down in the middle - and some of the music on these albums is from *entirely different takes* than the original albums. Some cues like Anakin's Dream have different mixing allowing new details to come to the surface which is very nice but its few and far between.

All in all, I would say that if you're a competitionist, Revenge Of The Sith is worth it for the bass drum overdub'd cues but the rest aren't worth your cash.

EDITED: Image wider than 750 pixels.

And so it remains, if you need SW music
Prequel Trilogy: Original releases
Original Trilogy: Arista Box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: