The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Capital Ship Crew Size problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Capital Ship Crew Size problem. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you have a situation where a station (such as damage control, command, medical, or whatever) can be damaged or its crew compliment injured or killed without destroying the entire ship, it makes sense to have a certain ... surplus built into the crew compliment.

One thing is to have shift changes in order to recuperate a certain crew shift. Being at battlestations is quite stressful. Another is that if, say, the power conduits feeding a turbolaser turret get sheared from hull damage or a direct hit, I would like to have damage control crews that can re-run the power conduits so that I get my turbolasers up and running again. Or, there may be a reactor leak that means my crew gets killed - but the turbolaser turret is fully operational... though maybe a little hot, in the radiation sense. Which means I want my turret up again, so I get the casualties removed and re-crew my turret.

Particularly if I'm running extended operations, fairly far from my usual logistics train. If sections of my crew compliment are down with some Arkanian sexually transmitted disease, I still want to be as close to optimal fighting condition as possible - so I have more than my minimum crew compliment assigned to my ship. And I might even be denying R&R at friendly spaceports I dock at to critical sections of my crew for minimizing the risk of them getting sick. Though I'd better do that on a round-robin rotation, or my XO and command staff and their staffs may get mighty sick of my command decisions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Ah, I know!!
It union regulations!

And you dont mess with da union!
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Whenever you have a situation where a station (such as damage control, command, medical, or whatever) can be damaged or its crew compliment injured or killed without destroying the entire ship, it makes sense to have a certain ... surplus built into the crew compliment.

One thing is to have shift changes in order to recuperate a certain crew shift. Being at battlestations is quite stressful. Another is that if, say, the power conduits feeding a turbolaser turret get sheared from hull damage or a direct hit, I would like to have damage control crews that can re-run the power conduits so that I get my turbolasers up and running again. Or, there may be a reactor leak that means my crew gets killed - but the turbolaser turret is fully operational... though maybe a little hot, in the radiation sense. Which means I want my turret up again, so I get the casualties removed and re-crew my turret.

Particularly if I'm running extended operations, fairly far from my usual logistics train. If sections of my crew compliment are down with some Arkanian sexually transmitted disease, I still want to be as close to optimal fighting condition as possible - so I have more than my minimum crew compliment assigned to my ship. And I might even be denying R&R at friendly spaceports I dock at to critical sections of my crew for minimizing the risk of them getting sick. Though I'd better do that on a round-robin rotation, or my XO and command staff and their staffs may get mighty sick of my command decisions.

This is what I am thinking too, However I see there are crew that are "not needed" if you will.
Having a dirty uniform, needing to change it can be done after combat.
same with cooking and some medical that is not first aid really.

Given this, if we look to whatever capital ship, I am sure these factors are included into the skeleton crew penalty, for some ships this is a massive +20, for others a mere +5.

How many are actually needed to be the absolute minimum before you "risk" any penalties.

Lets use the ined Gladiator, 72 skeleton at +5, now my question is if 73 crew offer a +0 penalty, then why should actually "more" be needed, and given a grew of 1200, I can't see how they work in "minutes long" shifts.
So there has to be somewhere where there is a limit to here is "enough to operate through "a battle" if need be, but still so "few" it is possible for a player group with hired hands, or allies.

Now as to the gladiator and the 72 skeleton, this I can see actually work and be very "on the mark".
If we say that these 72 are the bridge crew, maybe two bridge crews on shifts.
with a high level of automatization (does not need to replace crew, a switch to be flipped if there is no crew and still things work) with everything but the starfighters actually operated from the bridge.

Looking to our earth navies, a ship like battleships re phased out, replaced by highly automated ships with a "battle center" to operate the majority of weapon systems, leaving other crew for the "non direct combat" roles needed.

I man not sure if something like this can be done with the sw capital ships.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're close to reinventing the Katana fleet.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

Never though of that, but given how it seems ship saving works it seems the master ship is able to to some extent control the slaved ship's gunnery.

To me this indicates that there are systems for it.

I did read somewhere, maybe in tramp freighters, but not sure, some star wrs sourcebook at least some weapon systems could be controlled from the cockpit though at a cost to fire control.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Never though of that, but given how it seems ship saving works it seems the master ship is able to to some extent control the slaved ship's gunnery.

I did read somewhere, maybe in tramp freighters, but not sure, some star wrs sourcebook at least some weapon systems could be controlled from the cockpit though at a cost to fire control.

Wasn't that in the Graveyard of Alderaan module?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Wasn't that in the Graveyard of Alderaan module?

Maybe, I know it was in the thrawn trilogy at least
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, Graveyard of Alderaan slaves an entire warship to your character's vessel. Controlling weapon turrets from the cockpit is on screen in A New Hope. One of the early technical guides for the falcon suggested that almost all the ship's systems could be run from the terminal next to the power core (engineering?).

In D6 I'm not aware of any hard rules, but if it's in the movie I say go for it. My own house rule is that remotely operating a turret from the cockpit can be done, but you loose all fire control and can only fire reasonably forward (kind of like a Starfighter gun). I do allow special control seats to be set up remotely though.. based on the fact that the turrets of the lambda shuttle are controlled from the bridge. In this case it's less of a sort of "point the turret forward and pull the trigger when the ship is lined up" situation and more an integrated control system dedicated to that weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: