The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Hurts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Force Hurts! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: The Force Hurts! Reply with quote

Is there now a new class of Force Power, one that actually hurts or kills the user?

We saw that with Luke, dying from the strain of his Force Projection. Ben mentioned it to Rey, wondering how the two were meeting in the Force and saying that Rey couldn't do it as the effort would kill her.

How would this translate to the game? Just roll Damage? What damage? Maybe use the Proximity and Relationship Chart to determine damage?

Is it non-standard damage? Damage to an attribute?

Is it permanent damage, if the Force User survives?

I don't recall a Force Power that caused damage to the user (other than Dark Side Points) in the game. Then again, it's been a long, long time since I've read the Force powers.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of ways you could handle it. I prefer to disregard any effect that Disney's canon might have on the "legends" material, FWIW.

Moving forward, though, consider this:

There could be a force power so difficult to use that even success can destroy the user.

By way of example, if the power fails by 10 or more, the user dies.

If the power fails by less than ten, the user slips into a coma for 2D days/months/weeks or whatever (and might die if not cared for).

If the power succeeds, the user activates the power successfully for it's full duration, and then dies.

If the power succeeds by a margin of 5 over, the power functions as intended, and when it's duration expires, the user slips into a coma for 2D days/weeks/months, etc (and might die if not cared for).

If the power succeeds by 10 or more, the user has the option to double it's duration. If so, he must make a control roll every x minutes to keep the power up beyond it's normal duration. Once the power ends, the user must make a final control roll (difficulty = a bagillion). Failure means the user dies. Success means that the user becomes one with the force. Note that if the duration is extended via this ability, then the user either dies, or becomes one with the force. He can no longer exist on the material plane.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Force Hurts! Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Is there now a new class of Force Power, one that actually hurts or kills the user?

We saw that with Luke, dying from the strain of his Force Projection. Ben mentioned it to Rey, wondering how the two were meeting in the Force and saying that Rey couldn't do it as the effort would kill her.

How would this translate to the game? Just roll Damage? What damage? Maybe use the Proximity and Relationship Chart to determine damage?

Is it non-standard damage? Damage to an attribute?

Is it permanent damage, if the Force User survives?

I don't recall a Force Power that caused damage to the user (other than Dark Side Points) in the game. Then again, it's been a long, long time since I've read the Force powers.

I use fatigue, as the force powers persists........concentrating on a force lightning like we see Palpy do is actually fatiguing.............
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Lot's of ways you could handle it. I prefer to disregard any effect that Disney's canon might have on the "legends" material, FWIW.

Let go... You must let go your conscious self, and let the Force guide you! Very Happy
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Let go... You must let go your conscious self, and let the Force guide you! Very Happy

Right....? Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in legends we also saw with Dorsk 81, that pushing TOO much force energy kills, such as when he burned himself up using TK to toss the star destroyers away from yavin..
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I took it a different way. The time Kylo and Rey were projecting to each other the rain on Rey's end made Kylo's hand wet. Perhaps the three seconds where Kylo's saber was inside Luke's projection's chest actually did some small amount of damage to the real Luke in the same way?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Honestly, I took it a different way. The time Kylo and Rey were projecting to each other the rain on Rey's end made Kylo's hand wet. Perhaps the three seconds where Kylo's saber was inside Luke's projection's chest actually did some small amount of damage to the real Luke in the same way?

That's a damn cool thought. Smile
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:

That's a damn cool thought. Smile

Why thanks! Every once in a while I pay attention to details. Laughing
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That assumes it's the same power(s) being used (which, perhaps it is).

The doppelganger power, for example, allows the user to sense through the illusion's senses. Combining Doppelganger with, for example, Farseeing, might have allowed Luke to do what he did.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The doppelganger power, for example, allows the user to sense through the illusion's senses. Combining Doppelganger with, for example, Farseeing, might have allowed Luke to do what he did.

It reminds me of a Feat chain in a...well...er...roleplaying game.

First you learn the power that lets you sense your friends, far away, as Luke did on Dagobah with Leia and Han on Bespin.

Then, you graduate to being able to see them with Farseeing.

Then, you upgrade and learn to communicate with them, as Rey and Ben did.

Finally, you gain the fourth level, Force Doppelganger, where you can project yourself there and interact with the environment.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:

Ohh.. I didn't even think of that angle..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Naaman wrote:

It reminds me of a Feat chain in a...well...er...roleplaying game.

First you learn the power that lets you sense your friends, far away, as Luke did on Dagobah with Leia and Han on Bespin.

Then, you graduate to being able to see them with Farseeing.

Then, you upgrade and learn to communicate with them, as Rey and Ben did.

Finally, you gain the fourth level, Force Doppelganger, where you can project yourself there and interact with the environment.

Or, you could chalk it up to "prerequisite" force powers making more advanced ones available (a la 2nd Ed.)
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:

Garhkal brought this up in another forum, and the response mentioned the pounding Luke took by all those AT-M6 Walkers.

He took that first.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:

Garhkal brought this up in another forum, and the response mentioned the pounding Luke took by all those AT-M6 Walkers.

He took that first.

True. BUT how many times in film/novels/the RPG have we had it "pounded" into our heads, that a lightsaber is an extension of the Jedi's force powers? From the whole "they have it attuned to them" to using it can block XYZ.. So with that in mind, couldn't one say that the lasers from the walkers did nothing, CAUSE there was no force attunement behind it. Where as the lightsaber from Kylo had that attunement, ergo HE was able to affect the doppleganger??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: