The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper height Discrepency
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Stormtrooper height Discrepency
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Stormtrooper height Discrepency Reply with quote

Most canon and legend scourses give the height at a minimum 1.83 meters,
However scoursebooks differ and the shortest one I have seen as a height requirement is 1.78 meters.

This makes me think, could the 1.83 be an average with a +/- 5 cm margin.
I can't really imagine 5cm be that visible a difference seeing how the helmets and the armor actually makes them look taller.

If you look at a company line up, the shortest ones being placed in the front with the tallest in the back, in most forces this is how it is done, and in these cases a 10cm from from to back row is not a very huge and visible difference.

Naturally if you put a 1.78 m and a 1.88 m one next to each other it will show, however 178 to 183 will be much harder to distinguish.

We have female stormtroopers in star wars, even guards, and without being sexist, very few female humans are 1.80m tall.

Could the 1. 83 be an average?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what troopers you are looking at.

The first clone trooper were probably all of uniform height.

The Empire era troopers were recruits from among those loyal to the Empire.

The First Order troopers are taken at birth from their families and are programmed, Manchurian Candidate style, to be stormtroopers.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=8243.0

From ANH.

To me the ones #2 from the right ( middle one) and the one far to the left is shorter than the other two.........the one in the middle to me looks "too short to be a stormtrooper"

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

Lots of helmets here, but scroll down and you see a ANH ( looks like) screen of stormtroopers standing in rows, here too the height of the individuals seems to vary a lot......and at least one stands out as "too short for a stormtrooper"

Having looked over the wookiepedia on the royal guards, it does state 1.83 meters, and refers to this being the height of the troopers recruited.
To me having this 1.83 m as the requirement for the guards I have so far no issues with as we generally see them almost identical in height.

I think I am leaning towards an average with no more than a +/- 5 cm. given the pictures and the fact that women did serve and nowhere does it say that that number was low due to height, but due to the extreme training regimen

But I am actually unsure about the listed heights now with the "new" canon
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the "new canon" is basically disruptive to what has been pre-established for some 40 years.

In my opinion, Disney is basically trying to come as close as it can to retconning all of Star Wars without coming right out and saying "we're retconning Star Wars."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be ok with a 1m 70 to 1m 90 limitation..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the troopers are a little taller than Luke Skywalker, as he's a little short for a stormtrooper. Wink
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that entry into the stormtrooper corps was such that it had maybe 1.75 m as a minimum, and part of qualifying for special units, like the royal guards or death troopers a new height minimum is in place, like 1.83, nd maybe 1.9 for the blackies

I actually see a tactical value in somewhat short scouts, snipers and other units that use various non standard infantry tactics.

This being said, I also suspect the TIE pilots to be fairly short, at least a good number of them being visibly much shorter than 1.75 m.
I'd even say some of the TIE pilots we have seen are in the 1.60 range even.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, there are special units in certain military organizations that do have a minimum and maximum height allowance. Mostly, this is for presentation purposes, as the function of such units is to showcase certain drill and ceremonial skills elevated to a high degree.

I could see this being a thing for the royal guard, for example, but if such was the case, I could also see the royal guard having a "peer" or "rival" element in the imperial military that is mostly composed of troops who are equally or more martially skilled than your average guardsman, but do not meet the height requirement. Such a unit would probably have an exclusively combat focused mission, and they likely reserve pejorative verbiage for referencing the royal guard.

You might consider it akin to a US Marine who ends up on the White House/Presidential detail. You can be certain that such a Marine is a top performer within the Corps, but all we ever really see of them (publicly) is them looking pretty and holding umbrellas.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
FWIW, there are special units in certain military organizations that do have a minimum and maximum height allowance. Mostly, this is for presentation purposes, as the function of such units is to showcase certain drill and ceremonial skills elevated to a high degree.

I could see this being a thing for the royal guard, for example, but if such was the case, I could also see the royal guard having a "peer" or "rival" element in the imperial military that is mostly composed of troops who are equally or more martially skilled than your average guardsman, but do not meet the height requirement. Such a unit would probably have an exclusively combat focused mission, and they likely reserve pejorative verbiage for referencing the royal guard.

You might consider it akin to a US Marine who ends up on the White House/Presidential detail. You can be certain that such a Marine is a top performer within the Corps, but all we ever really see of them (publicly) is them looking pretty and holding umbrellas.

Exactly what I am thinking too.

Guards are good fighters, but despite this their primary role is actually to be on display, to stand close to the throne, guard whatever etc.....
So I could see these units have maybe even a max height as well as a minimum one.

As to Other units, less rigid on height etc....I would go to special forces, a good stormcommando is more than a match to most.

Other units that for what ever reason re not guards but could have been are the deathtroopers, possibly they have a minimum height, maybe even they are too tall for most other jobs etc.

I think if we look to army- No height requirement overall, but some units may have.
Stormtroopers, have a minimum and a maximum height from minimum 1.75m to max 1.95m

I dare say guards being 180-200
and from the looks of it the death troopers 190-210
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Could it be that entry into the stormtrooper corps was such that it had maybe 1.75 m as a minimum, and part of qualifying for special units, like the royal guards or death troopers a new height minimum is in place, like 1.83, nd maybe 1.9 for the blackies

I actually see a tactical value in somewhat short scouts, snipers and other units that use various non standard infantry tactics.

This being said, I also suspect the TIE pilots to be fairly short, at least a good number of them being visibly much shorter than 1.75 m.
I'd even say some of the TIE pilots we have seen are in the 1.60 range even.

True. Heck i know in the AF, there's an upper height max limitation. Cause of fitting into the cockpit issues.. So i can see the same for the Tie fighter corps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: