The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Punch it! Reply with quote

SPOILER ALERT.

Coaxial hyperfuel. As we can see it is possible to boost ion engines with it in order to escape a powerful gravity well.

How do you see it in the game mechanics? Double the sublight speed and hull value (for the rule of “hull vs tractor beam”)?

This is clearly a short time boost due to stress on the ship's syst
em.

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
<Insert Spoilers Here.>

Dude...

Spoiler Alert?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, in wanted by cracken there was a ship that did use a backup hyperdrive set at I believe a x1/2 multiplier and its primary was set at an x3 I believe, in the text for the ship I think I recall it saying that the ship would use its backup hyperdrive as its primary hyperdrive but kept the x3 as a way of masking it true capabilities. If that's the case, I don't see why some ships might modify there hyperdrive to have a quick switch system allowing for a way to keep the full capabilities of the ship hidden.

I recall something similar, but I just skimmed through Wanted by Cracken and couldn't find it. This does seem slightly over the top to me, though. It seems unlikely that a x1/2 hyperdrive would be mistaken for a x9 or x10 drive on a visual inspection of the type one might get from an Imperial Customs ship. It's be like trying to disguise a V-12 as an Inline-4.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Dude...

Spoiler Alert?

I tried to avoid as much as possible. Did not mention who, where and why. I am sorry if somehting was spoiled.
What's the spoiler time period by the way? A month?

PS. Edited
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
However, i take it you feel BOTH can be operational at the same time, only one in use at once?

Correct. I'd accept that only one can be powered up at a time, and that the "switch" is actually a series of circuit breakers that keep the powered-down drive physically disconnected, but it makes no sense at all to have the drive not be able to be powered up as quickly as possible.

Quote:
It is MY interpretation.

And that doesn't really surprise me, as I have had plenty of experience with your insistence on keeping Star Wars as low-tech as possible.

When it comes to WEG, you have a demonstrable pattern of interpreting the text in an excessively restrictive manner, and in a manner not actually supported by the literal meaning of the text. "is used when" does not mean "can only be used when."

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed May 30, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
The only way I personally can see both back up and hyperdrive being used at the same time, is if the backup hyperdrive is the actual main, and the main hyperdrive is an overdrive/turbo.

I'm not arguing that both hyperdrives be in use at the same time, or even that they can both be powered on at the same time. My point is that it should be relatively simple and quick to switch between them, and that, while the vast majority of ship captains elect to use their main hyperdrive because of its greater speed, the backup is readily available when needed (and that some ship captains have found clever ways to make use of their backup).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Dude...

Spoiler Alert?

I tried to avoid as much as possible. Did not mention who, where and why. I am sorry if somehting was spoiled.
What's the spoiler time period by the way? A month?

PS. Edited

Here's the Spoiler Policy. Any discussion of material from the Solo movie must be discussed here (the Solo - SPOILERS ALLOWED page) until Whill says otherwise.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
The only way I personally can see both back up and hyperdrive being used at the same time, is if the backup hyperdrive is the actual main, and the main hyperdrive is an overdrive/turbo.

I'm not arguing that both hyperdrives be in use at the same time, or even that they can both be powered on at the same time. My point is that it should be relatively simple and quick to switch between them, and that, while the vast majority of ship captains elect to use their main hyperdrive because of its greater speed, the backup is readily available when needed (and that some ship captains have found clever ways to make use of their backup).

I agree with you on a switch or a lever to very easily disable one in favor of the other, even run ONLY on the backyp, using the main only when needed
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch it! Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:
Edited

Here's the Spoiler Policy. Any discussion of material from the Solo movie must be discussed here (the Solo - SPOILERS ALLOWED page) until Whill says otherwise.

Thanks. I'll release the spoiler restrictions sometimes on June 11th.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Thx1138 wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, in wanted by cracken there was a ship that did use a backup hyperdrive set at I believe a x1/2 multiplier and its primary was set at an x3 I believe, in the text for the ship I think I recall it saying that the ship would use its backup hyperdrive as its primary hyperdrive but kept the x3 as a way of masking it true capabilities. If that's the case, I don't see why some ships might modify there hyperdrive to have a quick switch system allowing for a way to keep the full capabilities of the ship hidden.

I recall something similar, but I just skimmed through Wanted by Cracken and couldn't find it. This does seem slightly over the top to me, though. It seems unlikely that a x1/2 hyperdrive would be mistaken for a x9 or x10 drive on a visual inspection of the type one might get from an Imperial Customs ship. It's be like trying to disguise a V-12 as an Inline-4.

It was in Tramp Freighters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
It was in Tramp Freighters.

Do you have a page #? I just skimmed through the book and didn't see it.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major change is the introduction of AI on ships, and Integrating Droids into ships.

We also see certain weapons being given additional properties from the D6 stats.

Electro/Energy Blade technology seems to be very frequent and at par with lightsabers.

movies have changed the history of the rebel Alliance , and it seems that they were barely one alliance even at the time of Yavin.

And we see a more pragmatic rebel alliance, willing to go very far, even into what we would call war crimes, makineg it a more realistic war and rebel alliance.

The new moives haven't gone into it, but the canon cartoons now reveal more and more surviving jedi frrom order 66 ( they all die though)
making the warning given by Obi Wan actually heard.

is the main changes I can come up with, though some character backgrounds could have seen changes, both major and minor
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i've noticed in most all SW cap ship engagements, no shields are actually seen, other than the one that was on the main mon cal ship in rogue one, and the one holdo and co were fleeing on. The rest really didn't appear to have any. All fire i saw, seemed to impact hull.

Also i keep wondering, how ships can get 'under' the shields, but missiles don't? If a ship is a physical object, thus it can pass through 'ray' shielding as if it wasn't there, why then don't missiles also ignore them?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One thing i've noticed in most all SW cap ship engagements, no shields are actually seen, other than the one that was on the main mon cal ship in rogue one, and the one holdo and co were fleeing on. The rest really didn't appear to have any. All fire i saw, seemed to impact hull.

Also i keep wondering, how ships can get 'under' the shields, but missiles don't? If a ship is a physical object, thus it can pass through 'ray' shielding as if it wasn't there, why then don't missiles also ignore them?

You are partially right, looking very close at the footage, I see the explotion being before it impacts the hull, however it seems to me some shileds are close and some seems to shiled further from the hull.

We also see this in ROTJ at Endor seeing the TIEs "crash" into the mon cal cruisers, but we see them disintergrate and explode before impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

At 2:22-2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ
Here is from Attack of the clones, at 0:55 we see the explotion happen away from the hull.

so it is all over, but hard to see
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ
Here is from Attack of the clones, at 0:55 we see the explotion happen away from the hull.

so it is all over, but hard to see

At 1:16 and in some other scenes blue shield is clearly visilbe on Lucrehulk-class ships after laser hits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: