The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, I think you're on a fair track. Truth be told, some of it isn't terribly far off from some notes I have on the subject.

When I get some of my real-life writing projects closer to finished, I'll work on the hyperdrive stuff and post them for commentary.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
A ~9% chance of instant obliteration is a bit much, isn't it? If you change it so that snake eyes on the 2D makes the ship instantly obliterated, that's still a ~3% chance of getting smeared all over Creation.

less than a 1 in 10 chance of instant destruction, for an emergency get out of dodge roll? I don't think that's too much. IN fact, i feel its possibly too low.. a 1 in 6 chance is imo about right.

Cheshire wrote:
Also, just eyeballing it, the time it takes to disengage the safeties on the fly seem pretty short and easy. As a real-world ground, do we have any idea how easy or difficult it is to do something as simple as deactivate your airbags?

I agree. I feel making it easy or even moderate is making it too easy to disable them. I feel it should be at least high end difficult, or more likely mid level very difficult..

CRMcNeill wrote:
A possibility that just occurred to me is to permanently disable the safety cut-out on the backup hyperdrive, and then use that for any emergency blind jumps. That way, you don't have to mess around with disconnecting and reconnecting it if you are operating under a time crunch (like being chased by TIE Fighters or trying to outrun an explosion).

But won't you need to cut in the back up to use it in that situation??[/quote]
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing the films as a whole have changed is the actual ROF on weapons.
We do see both character size and starship weapons fire much faster than 1-3 shots in 5 seconds.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In fact, here:[list]Blind Hyperspace Jumps
(....)

Nice. How about calcultated jumps but without mass shadow safety device? Increase the chances of collision by 2-3 difficulties?

Mamatried wrote:
One thing the films as a whole have changed is the actual ROF on weapons.
We do see both character size and starship weapons fire much faster than 1-3 shots in 5 seconds.

Well, you should not view round as a rigid 5 second period. If two skilled gunslingers shot each other just once in a round, it takes split second. In this case you do not wait the remaing time for round end. It ends as the last action takes place, so in this case in less than a second. So what I am trying to say:
it is possible that 5 or 10 second period may consitst of 2,5, 10 and even more rounds. It all depends on situation and proper interpretation.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Realized I feel too strongly about this; removed my post.)

Last edited by Zarn on Tue May 29, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn, if I could pick one thing in the SWU - and one thing only - where it would be appropriate to apply a Save or die rule, it would be this. There is too much potential for abuse if we apply the wink-and-a-nod “certain death, but you can get out of it if you spend a FP” approach. This needs to be the sort of thing where there is a very real chance of death, so that players stay reluctant to use it unless they really do have no other choice.

If I were to allow a save, it would still be with major consequences:
    1). Change the collision threshold to 10-12 (a 1-in-6 chance).

2). On a collision result, the pilot has the option to spend a FP to survive, but the ship is either Heavily Damaged (on a 1-4) and requires major repair work, or has been Severely Damaged (on a 5-6), and is intact, but damaged beyond the point of repair.

3). The FP use is non-heroic, so you don’t get it back.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
A possibility that just occurred to me is to permanently disable the safety cut-out on the backup hyperdrive, and then use that for any emergency blind jumps. That way, you don't have to mess around with disconnecting and reconnecting it if you are operating under a time crunch (like being chased by TIE Fighters or trying to outrun an explosion).

But won't you need to cut in the back up to use it in that situation??

Huh?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Nice. How about calcultated jumps but without mass shadow safety device? Increase the chances of collision by 2-3 difficulties?

Nah, this is just for extreme emergencies. A more realistic approach (and more consistent with the EU) would be a rule for a mini-jump, requiring minimal calculation and time, with no set destination apart from “a few dozen light years away from where I am right now.” Because it’s a jump on an uncharted route, just roll on the standard Hyperdrive Mishap Chart, with any result other than a collision counting as a successful jump (hard to go off course or off time when your destination is lierally “anywhere but here, ASAP.”)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

But won't you need to cut in the back up to use it in that situation??

Huh?

Normally, the back up hyperdrive is not being used, so to use it, you'd have to disconnect the main and connect the back up. Or at least from how i understand it..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Normally, the back up hyperdrive is not being used, so to use it, you'd have to disconnect the main and connect the back up. Or at least from how i understand it..

Reference?

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Reference?

My assumption was with garhkal. That the reason why the backup kicked in was because the main failed. In order to get the backup to work, one could fabricate the failure.

Why, CRM, did you assume that it was with the flip of the switch to choose which one was operative?

Granted, all we're dealing with is two competing sets of assumptions. I'd be surprised if there were many, if any references to support either hypothesis.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Reference?

My assumption was with garhkal. That the reason why the backup kicked in was because the main failed. In order to get the backup to work, one could fabricate the failure.

Why, CRM, did you assume that it was with the flip of the switch to choose which one was operative?

Granted, all we're dealing with is two competing sets of assumptions. I'd be surprised if there were many, if any references to support either hypothesis.

These seems an overly restrictive interpretation of the RAW. Is it really your assertion that a backup hyperdrive can only be powered up if the primary drive suffers a malfunction? At the very least, I would think starship techs would want to be able to power it up for diagnostic purposes. The main reason the backup doesn't get used is because it is so slow, but I can think of at least one other use for it:
    Hyperwave Signal Interceptors are a common sensor type that can detect ships entering or exiting hyperspace. My theory is that a hyperwave sensor signature is a function of both mass and velocity; all other things being equal, a ship with a x1 hyperdrive will have twice the hyperwave signature as a ship with a x2 hyperdrive.

As such, a ship wishing to make a stealthy entry into a star system could stop short of the system, then complete the jump with its backup hyperdrive, as the much slower backup would create a much smaller signature.
That's just one possibility.

Bottom line, I see no reason that the ship's captain couldn't just flip a switch or pull a lever to switch over to his backup hyperdrive; it's just that he would have absolutely no reason to 99.999% of the time.

I like thinking in terms of what other uses I can get out of Star Wars tech. Just because WEG said the backup hyperdrive is used if the main hyperdrive isn't functioning does not mean that is its only function, nor should it mean that it is hard-wired to only be capable of that function.

Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me correctly, in wanted by cracken there was a ship that did use a backup hyperdrive set at I believe a x1/2 multiplier and its primary was set at an x3 I believe, in the text for the ship I think I recall it saying that the ship would use its backup hyperdrive as its primary hyperdrive but kept the x3 as a way of masking it true capabilities. If that's the case, I don't see why some ships might modify there hyperdrive to have a quick switch system allowing for a way to keep the full capabilities of the ship hidden.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Reference?

IIRC that came from the "complete guide to equipment', where it discussed hyperdrives and back ups.. But i can't find an actual quote for you.

However, i take it you feel BOTH can be operational at the same time, only one in use at once?

Quote:
These seems an overly restrictive interpretation of the RAW. Is it really your assertion that a backup hyperdrive can only be powered up if the primary drive suffers a malfunction? At the very least, I would think starship techs would want to be able to power it up for diagnostic purposes.

It is MY interpretation.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I paersonally can see both back up and hyperdrive being used at the same time, is if the backup hyperdrive is the actual main, and the main hyperdrive is an overdrive/turbo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: