The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modifying Weapons and Armor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Modifying Weapons and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Modifying Weapons and Armor Reply with quote

I was wondering what skill to use for this example.

I want to sacrifice power for range , would this be under repair or engineering ( the advanced skill), I am inclined to go with engineering, but does anyone have any input?

I was also wondering if the same repair vs engineering to reinforce a armorweave body glove with phrik fiber for added protection, but keeping (more or less, thinking if anything a -1 pip DEX)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what's on page 60-62 of RE, I'd say Repair would be sufficient (though Engineering, as an advanced skill, would add to that). I might let someone use Engineering to bring down the difficulty, but I think it's fairly represented by the increase in dice pool you get to repair skills when you're a skilled engineer,.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking if you actually change your weapon stats into what is in everything but looks, an actual other weapon, then isn't this beyond repair.

Lets take the DL-44
5D Damage, I want to make this into 4D+1 damage (now it counts in blaster pistol, and not heavy in terms of damage), and increase the range, to well beyond anything a DL.44 can normally do, maybe modify to use the ranges of the lighter DL-18.

Or in regards to the armor example, the +1(p)/+1)e) now reinforced with Phrik, to +2(P)/+1D(E)

Again really turning this into something completely different.

I read the skill repair as repairing, and "minor" modifiers up to pips only, with a "major" game mechanical change requiring engineering.

Is there a RAW limit on how much you can modify using repair skill?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to turn a heavy blaster pistol into a blaster pistol. Why not just buy a blaster pistol?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
You want to turn a heavy blaster pistol into a blaster pistol. Why not just buy a blaster pistol?

I was actually going to add the range, but found it to be too much for a simple repair modification, after all is is almost double the range, and to me unless you make/engineer something brand new and add to the gun, then the added range would reasonably come at the cost of power.

what I cam up with a something with the power between a standard blaster and a heavy blaster, but with the standard blaster range.
To me it became a +1 or +2 Blaster pistol in the end.

Now adding small features like a safety lock, making the gun easier for you to fire, much of the customizations from D20 I can see as going under repair, but when it is turned into either something that is really another weapon, or some strange hybrid then to me it seems so different that it a re-engineering of the gun.

Turning a M 1911 (.45ACP) into a 9mm, or a .50 to me is the same thing, and to me this is engineering more than modification.

To me an adjusted trigger, sights, maybe some different and more custom fit grips, maybe a rail, an added flashlight, to me those are the repair modifications
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

I agree with Kytross; it honestly makes more sense to buy a 4D+1 Blaster Pistol or just take a pistol you like and modify up the damage by 1 pip and you're in the same situation.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first time i ever modded a baster in star wars was in my 2nd ever star wars game back around 1998 ish.

the maximum a weapon's damage can be improved is:
Pip Increase - Difficulty - Cost
+1 - Easy - 15%
+2 - Moderate - 25%
+1D - Difficult - 30%
+1D+1 - Very Difficult - 35%
+1D+2 - Heroic - 50%

Characters may also improve the ranges of their weapons.
Range Increase - Difficulty - Cost
+5% - Easy - 5%
+10% - Moderate - 10%
+15% - Difficult - 15%
+20% - Very Difficult - 20%
+25% - Heroic - 25%

(pg 62 of The Star Wars Roleplaying Game Second Edition Revised and Expanded)

the book implies that armor is repaired and improved in the same manner as blasters

according to the rules, you will never be able to get a heavy blaster pistol to have the same ranges as a regular blaster pistol. but you can get a regular blaster pistol to do the same damage as a heavy blaster pistol while still having the range of a regular blaster pistol.

it is my opinion blaster repair can be used to do all the modifying needed/wanted. blaster engineering is more theory and design rather than the nuts and bolts of repairing.

hope that helps

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying Weapons and Armor Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I was wondering what skill to use for this example.

I want to sacrifice power for range , would this be under repair or engineering ( the advanced skill), I am inclined to go with engineering, but does anyone have any input?

I was also wondering if the same repair vs engineering to reinforce a armorweave body glove with phrik fiber for added protection, but keeping (more or less, thinking if anything a -1 pip DEX)

For trading up range for power, that to ME would be repair, as it sounds like a jury rig/field upgrade. However, that depends on how far you are wanting to go. At most field mods can add +1d+2 to damage, 25% to range and the like. To go further than that would be engineering.

For the whole switching materials (addig the phrik), that would be engineering...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: