The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Outside Galaxy travel via Hyperspace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Outside Galaxy travel via Hyperspace. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Outside Galaxy travel via Hyperspace. Reply with quote

(This isnt an easy one folks. However, i would seriously appreciate some help.please forgive the unoriginality of this discussion, but id rather talk about something familiar than some obscure planet in the Minos Cluster that only people who read Galaxy Guide 6 would get. I do love GG6 )

I need help running some number for a roleplay and got into a rather indepth debate with someone, we were talking about the hypothetical you find yourself in the Star Wars Galaxy and you really want to get back to Earth. The wormhole that dropped you off in...lets say Tatooine...is a one way trip. Your in the desert, and your now on your way to Mos Eisley to get yourself a ship...somehow. Learn to pilot it etc...somehow.

The other party says its possible, but I say the practicality of this, using pre-established ingame mechanics, the trip would be so long, you would need more supplies, more Fuel for the ship than you can carry, feasably, without any special Hyperdrive Accelerators etc which will burn your hyperdrive out and leave you stranded , or at least with a long trip back to the Star Wars Galaxy, with your tail between your legs.

Hypothetically.

1) is travel by Hyperspace outside the SW Galaxy within the game rules and ingame feasability? or has it been done in anyones RP? Was there any special rules or requirements.

2) Is there any clear idea what the distance between the SW Galaxy and our Galaxy is? Some figure in a rp, some reference, even Legends?

3) ASSUMING 1 is yes and theres some kind of figures available for 2....Given we have a distance and allowing for any special rules, etc....
How long would a Hyperspace trip take?
ALSO factoring in fuel considerations, time for Hyperdrive engine cool downs and maintainence.

How long would it take, depending on the Hyperdrive Multipliers?

NOW...if theres anyone covered this topic on the forum before, or even on any other forum, by all means please share this.

This isnt to win some petty argument, dont worry, but it is a thought experiment to see if one can plot a MAJOR journey and massive distance using the existing game mechanics.

Please also throw in any other factors I havent considered. Also, the wormhole was a one way trip, so forget looking for another one. Needles in haystacks would be more possible.

Thanks gang
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also..yes i know about the Hyperspace disturbance beyond the edge of the Galaxy...Thats kind of the clincher. But i still want to crunch the numbers.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace_disturbance_beyond_the_edge_of_the_galaxy

Also factoring in things like traveling via the Crispin Sector or Vector Prime, that would be awesome. Thanks
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For answers..
1) Is travel by hyperspace feasable? unknown. That whole galactic barrier thing seems to make it sound like no would be the answer.

2) clear idea? Again no. Since we've never been TOLD roughly where the SW galaxy is in relation TO the MW..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of ESB, the Rebel Fleet is hiding outside of their own galaxy. One of the last shots shows look looking at his galaxy.

So, obviously, hyperspace travel outside the galaxy is possible.

Remember, though, that hyperspace is somewhat distance related. Plus, calculating a course is a different exercise. There's probably not a lot of debris, but some. Maybe some rogue planets and planetoids floating out there in the dark. And, all of it is uncharted.

Sensors do a lot of long range scanning by reflecting off stars and examining radiation given by stars. Since there are no stars--or extremely few--in the great void between galaxies, this causes a problem, I'm sure.

Although it's not canon anymore, how did the Yuuzhan Vong get to Luke's galaxy? They came from another galaxy.

BTW, I don't think that there's ever been any connection between the SW galaxy and Earth in anything--story, game, show--that I've ever seen.

EDIT: I wonder if referencing the two D6 adventures, Otherspace and Otherspace II would help.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
At the end of ESB, the Rebel Fleet is hiding outside of their own galaxy. One of the last shots shows look looking at his galaxy.

Do we know for Canon they were hiding Outside the galaxy? Or was that looking at another galaxy from the edge of the SW galaxy??
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Rishi Maze as a companion galaxy - that might be one explanation for the view through the viewport, and there's also Vector Prime when it comes to the disturbance. There's a couple of other ways of doing this, though.

Infinity Gates. We don't know that the Kwa kept to only one galaxy. Like the Stargates, the Infinity Gates seemed to fold, spindle, and mutilate our knowledge of physics - and seemed beyond pretty much everyone in the Star Wars galaxy as well. The Kwa were inspired by a Celestial principle, and we know that the Celestials were multi-galaxial (it's a word now).

Gree Hypergates (including Grand Hypergates). Similar to Infinity Gates, above.

Otherspace. Otherspace isn't necessarily coterminous with hyperspace or realspace, and might therefore be a way through circumventing the Hyperspace barrier. The Charon would be annoying, though.

And then there's a more lowtech approach. Stasis pods. Or even carbonite, if you accept a certain risk of dying. Blast away with realspace engines to build speed, and then go into stasis. Come out a couple of (local) years later and check whether you're good or not. Have multiple hyperdrives, and use time dilation to your advantage.

Star Wars has Zero Point Energy modules (mentioned in a speeder bike writeup way back when in EU), so over time they can recharge energy by themselves - though you'll still have to carry a lot of reaction mass in order to reach a significant fraction of lightspeed.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although it's not canon anymore, how did the Yuuzhan Vong get to Luke's galaxy? They came from another galaxy.

Ehhh my own take on that is it was EU canon for near 20 years, it was true in that particular version events. So unless its directly contradicted by the new stuff, it's true somewhere XD Or maybe im not so keen to throw away a lot of the good stuff EU held.

in fact Star Wars Infinities shows alternate timelines do exist. Scince they were never canon anyway, the EU has just been made into an infinities timeline.
I figure if the Trekkies can have the Prime and Kelvin timelines, we can have our cake and eat it too. Thats whats cake is for. thats my take at least. Im pretty relaxed when it comes to that kinda thing. its all true somerhe
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many companion galaxies are there A through G or something.
They are all reachable.

What you need to go to either. is a space ship, hyperdrive, guts, and it will not hurt to have some astrogation routes.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Do we know for Canon they were hiding Outside the galaxy? Or was that looking at another galaxy from the edge of the SW galaxy??

I've read somewhere--not sure where--that it was. Not sure how "canon" it is, either. But, it makes sense. If that's another galaxy, it's REAL close.

But, I guess another galaxy could be that close.

Or, unlikely, it could be that the window is enhanced showing the galaxy closer than it is in actual distance.

EDIT: I remember now one of the sources - the novel Honor Among Thieves, by James S.A. Corey. That book starts out with a rendezvous with the Rebel fleet (at the time of Empire) where the fleet is hiding just outside the galaxy.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depnds how things are defined.
The scene in question could be them looking at one of the companion galaxies.
From what I gather the barrier is beyond those, so there are about 5-6 reachable galaxies, with some barriers.

Also the barrier is not a solid "wall", it is full of holes that can be found and astrogated through.
As to the extra galactic ones , maybe save the vong, they all come from the close companion galaxies
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the Vong exist in some form of EU, even if its noe been made Non-canon in new canon...the precedent still exists.

My approach to the new continuity? In essence, its like DC comics when they did the Crisis and reset their continuity. Heres the new status quo and we are going to carry on as if certain events never happpend, or happened diffrently etc.

However, and im sure anyone with shelfs full of Paperbacks and comics etc can testify, you own those books. They DID happen, but the focus of the series now is not on a place where they didnt, unless stuff crops up in Rebels,the new movies and the NEW spin offs.

From a certain point of view, i get it, its not the first franchise to do this with expanded Universe material. Doctor Who has done it, Star Trek has done it...COMICS as i said do it all the time. so when it comes to rp's we can pick which continuity we can deal with, as our own rp's are never going to be established canon anyway, except to us.

Perhaps my viewpoint was narrow, so im going to have to say yes theres enough evidence to support the view that you can leave the Star Wars Galaxy. If its not at Hyperspeed, perhaps even just using subight engines...
which could prove interesting.

This hyperspace disturbance thing though still could have rp potential LOL..
It does however remind me of the weird Galactic barrier from Star Trek?
The first episode in fact, or the second pilot if we are being really technical.

Now. It can be done. Just need to work out the logistics.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Well given the close distance to the galaxy, id say that if that was the galaxy next door the two galaxies would be distorted from circling around each other.

Like this:http://www.techtimes.com/articles/222814/20180313/the-hubble-space-telescope-just-took-this-amazing-shot-of-two-galaxies-colliding.htm

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Well given the close distance to the galaxy, id say that if that was the galaxy next door the two galaxies would be distorted from circling around each other.

Like this:http://www.techtimes.com/articles/222814/20180313/the-hubble-space-telescope-just-took-this-amazing-shot-of-two-galaxies-colliding.htm

At the end of the 3rd Episode of the new Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson "When Knowledge Conquered Fear," there's a beautiful rendition of an astronomy prediction that our Milky Way galaxy merge with the Andromeda galaxy a few billion years from now, subjecting any inhabitants of both galaxies to a wondrous, billion-year-long lightshow.

Too bad none of us will be alive to see it, but it's the thought that counts. 8)
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, does anyone have or know of a link where I can get the Empire Invades the Earth e-Sourcebook, created by Volar the Healer?

The link doesnt appear to be working, alas.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
On a related note, does anyone have or know of a link where I can get the Empire Invades the Earth e-Sourcebook, created by Volar the Healer?

The link doesnt appear to be working, alas.

Please do not cross-post the same thing in multiple threads/forums. I replied in the thread you created for that topic.

Please review the Forum Posting Guidelines. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: