The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A "nicer" palpatine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> A "nicer" palpatine?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: A "nicer" palpatine? Reply with quote

Going through the story of Gallius Rax, the way Palpatine befriended him ( even with the threat) seemed to me uncommonly "nice" in tone and attitude.

Now in legends, the only kid connected to Palpy, as far as I know is Mara Jade, (In any "working for and such" capacity)

Now the books are not canon, but throughout the books Mara Jade sems to view Palpy as more a "benign" father figure, almost as much as seeing him as her master.

It seems like a pseudo strict parent/child thing going on.

Are we with the somewhat "nicer" tone of Palpy, in regards to Gallius Rax, moving towards a more "nice" Emperor, and dark side as a whole.
Given Kylo seems more to a EMO acting out than a Dark Evil and sith wannabe...his emotions, tantrums.acting like a "high school brat", compared to his earlier comparison and grandfather.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chalk it up to Palpatine having a way with people... even without the force, he manipulates them. Look how he presented himself to Anakin... kindly philosopher-statesman, who thinks the Jedi don't really understand the world or the force... the sort of thing that plays exactly to Anakin's weaknesses and prejudices.

For Gallius, he wanted someone who would be hard, and it seemed that Gallius's upbringing and personality were such that having a club slightly hidden behind the niceness was what he needed. For Mara (who I don't know much about), he may have found that a soft touch was what was needed throughout.

Palpatine is that guy who figured out how to put 6D in Perception-persuasion skills. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a Lightsaber Combat skill, but for social abilities.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I would chalk it up to Palpatine having a way with people... even without the force, he manipulates them. Look how he presented himself to Anakin... kindly philosopher-statesman, who thinks the Jedi don't really understand the world or the force... the sort of thing that plays exactly to Anakin's weaknesses and prejudices.

For Gallius, he wanted someone who would be hard, and it seemed that Gallius's upbringing and personality were such that having a club slightly hidden behind the niceness was what he needed. For Mara (who I don't know much about), he may have found that a soft touch was what was needed throughout.

Palpatine is that guy who figured out how to put 6D in Perception-persuasion skills. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a Lightsaber Combat skill, but for social abilities.

Maybe a persuasive lightsaber skill.

I think you are on to something, manipulation.
The short background of Mara jade, was that she was taken from her home at a very very young age, how young is unknown ,to be trained by him
At 14 she completed her first mission as the emperor's hand, according to her birth year 17BBY this would be in 3 BBY.
Between vader and the Emperor, Palpatine referred to mara as an experiment.

Nothing indicates a level of actual benevolence towards her, but she is given rewards, many very unusual , like starships, and above all free time.

What I am still feeling is a toned down palpatine, because even without the old thrawn books and later mara books, the emperor seemed only destructively dark and almost uncontrolled.

This is in almost every case other than with mara jade, so yes most likely some manipulation, after all he rocks big time at that art form.

Now I have to admit I haven't read all the new comics and he may be his old self there, but to me with the gallius thing, it seemed a toned down (PC) version of a troubled bad guy wanting to be good and only have a friend ( he can use)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Maybe a persuasive lightsaber skill.

I think you are on to something, manipulation.
The short background of Mara jade, was that she was taken from her home at a very very young age, how young is unknown ,to be trained by him
At 14 she completed her first mission as the emperor's hand, according to her birth year 17BBY this would be in 3 BBY.
Between vader and the Emperor, Palpatine referred to mara as an experiment.

Nothing indicates a level of actual benevolence towards her, but she is given rewards, many very unusual , like starships, and above all free time.

What I am still feeling is a toned down palpatine, because even without the old thrawn books and later mara books, the emperor seemed only destructively dark and almost uncontrolled.

This is in almost every case other than with mara jade, so yes most likely some manipulation, after all he rocks big time at that art form.

Now I have to admit I haven't read all the new comics and he may be his old self there, but to me with the gallius thing, it seemed a toned down (PC) version of a troubled bad guy wanting to be good and only have a friend ( he can use)

My information on Gallius Rax comes from the Aftermath novels by Wendig, where he's not exactly wanting to be good... he kinda decides that "Hey, let's destroy the worst parts of the Imperial Remnant in an orgy of blood and fire".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: