The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Proposed House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Proposed House Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're shooting at a piece of cardboard, then sure: 1 or 2 meters is easy pickins. But, against a hostile target, he'll just grab the muzzle or barrel and point it somewhere that he won't get hit by whatever comes out of it.

A rifle is a cumbersome thing in close quarters (that is, brawling distances).

If you're imagining CQB, remember that successful application of CQB requires having (and keeping) the initiative (enemies are caught off guard and not able to mount an effective response... fight is supposed to end in about 3 seconds or less).

With the right mentality (and some decent training) a pistol can be used quite effectively at brawling distances, but it does take some skill.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If you're shooting at a piece of cardboard, then sure: 1 or 2 meters is easy pickins. But, against a hostile target, he'll just grab the muzzle or barrel and point it somewhere that he won't get hit by whatever comes out of it.

A rifle is a cumbersome thing in close quarters (that is, brawling distances).

If you're imagining CQB, remember that successful application of CQB requires having (and keeping) the initiative (enemies are caught off guard and not able to mount an effective response... fight is supposed to end in about 3 seconds or less).

With the right mentality (and some decent training) a pistol can be used quite effectively at brawling distances, but it does take some skill.

what you describe here I agree with, but still why is it harder to hit if I shove the barrel into someones stomach.............this is NOT harder than to hit at 30 meters.

I ask because there is no mechanics for TOUCH, as in shoving the barrel into the body then fire.

The issue I faced was I wanted to do this on a subdued enemy ( yes I am dark-esque), and I given a difficulty do to the "lack" of touch range.

I argued this is not about hitting, it is only about damage.....but I had to roll with a penalty for the actin and even if the gun was pressed into the body leaving a mark I missed....go figure
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad GM call IMO.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Kytross wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Just curious: what is everyone's definition of "point blank" for purposes of this house rule?

According to the rules point blank is any distance under the minimum range. Almost all blasters blasters have a minimum distance of 3 meters. There's a few that are 2 meters. One rifle is 10 meters.

I never understood with pistols (rifles for that matter too), why it is supposed to be difficult to put in so close range it is almost contact ot mere inches........

According to the Rules As Written, anything under minimum range is point blank and a very easy difficulty.

In your case, pressing the blaster against someone who is not able to parry or dodge, I would just have you roll damage.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Kytross wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Just curious: what is everyone's definition of "point blank" for purposes of this house rule?

According to the rules point blank is any distance under the minimum range. Almost all blasters blasters have a minimum distance of 3 meters. There's a few that are 2 meters. One rifle is 10 meters.

I never understood with pistols (rifles for that matter too), why it is supposed to be difficult to put in so close range it is almost contact ot mere inches........

According to the Rules As Written, anything under minimum range is point blank and a very easy difficulty.

In your case, pressing the blaster against someone who is not able to parry or dodge, I would just have you roll damage.

I think the issue was that the ranges was not 0/5/25/50 etc...and in this case I think it was Range: 2-5/12/25, some Hold out.

I think the mistake made was reading this as 2 meters, and thus having this be the lowest range, even when in contact.

We solved it though, we argued and we agreed in the end
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

Maybe apply a minimum DC of 1-2 so that MAP can be applied to keep someone from arguing that they could get off 20 shots in that instance. Note that it would still let the average storm trooper get off 3 or 4.

On a secondary note, you may want to allow a character in this situation to make a brawl parry defense. There are multiple martial arts which have techniques specifically for this situation.. so even if you don't allow it with brawl parry, you might consider it available for use with the advanced skill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: