The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Proposed House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Proposed House Rules Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Proposed House Rules Reply with quote

Since I don't have much play experience I will ask you guys opinions on house rules I am thinking about:

From D6 Space:
Melee attacks have a standard difficulty of 10
-Lightsabers would be 15 unless you have 1D in Control and Sense
Parry skills rolled into Melee, Brawling and Lightsaber

From FFG Star Wars:
Increase difficulty of ranged attacks at point blank range by 5 for pistols and 10 for rifles [I'm not sure about this one]

Lightsaber Combat
First Edition rules: Sense used to deflect blaster fire, control added to damage

Possibly static defenses from minisix.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about the static defense, but if you're rolling the defensive skills into the attack skills, then it might make sense to do so.

I much prefer the 1st edition LSC rules, and I omit the LSC force power all together (if the character is a JEDI, and not some other kind of force user, then they get the control added to damage, and the sense is used to deflect; if the character is not a JEDI, then they have to be trained by a Jedi in the Jedi arts in order to "know how" to do Jedi things with the lightsaber).

If attack skills and defense skills are rolled in, does this work for ranged attacks and dodge? Sort of like a "blaster combat" skill?

If you want some kind of realism, then it makes perfect sense to increase difficulty of ranged attacks at point blank, but not with a pistol: a pistol is in its element at point blank range.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the Pistols. I went the other direction and not only kept the Difficulty for Pistols the same at Point Blank Range, I gave them an additional +1D to Blaster to better represent their utility in close.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let players roll brawling parry or melee parry against ranged attacks at point blank range. The person with the ranged attack weapon at a -15 modifier to counter the parry and still make their shot.

I guess this is house rule, as it isn't written down in the books. However, there is good reason to not bring a distance weapon into melee range.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned to me that you were going to play First Edition. My suggestion is to first play the game as written for a few sessions. Get a good feel for it.

Then, once you know and have played how it is written, decide upon any rule changes.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I let players roll brawling parry or melee parry against ranged attacks at point blank range. The person with the ranged attack weapon at a -15 modifier to counter the parry and still make their shot.

I guess this is house rule, as it isn't written down in the books. However, there is good reason to not bring a distance weapon into melee range.

I would rule that a ranged weapon can be parried in brawling range, but not point blank. But I would assess a penalty to rifles (or most long guns in general) at point blank, which would also apply at melee range, on top of allowing the melee/brawling parry to oppose the attack roll.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static defenses is the best house rule I've ever done for d6.
Never, ever going back.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does that mean melee/brawl parry and dodge go by the wayside?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Static Defenses -

I like the idea of giving the character the option of using passive (static) or active defense.

Static defense from my understanding gives a defense rating of 3/1D + pips + range/cover/situational bonuses to set the difficulty to hit the character.

Active defense in my thoughts would be similar to a full action dodge from RAW - The character may take no actions other than movement.
- Roll Defensive skill + range/cover/situational bonuses.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge determines the defense. 3 x Dodge + pips + cover modifier

The attcker’s roll vs Defense is modified by range.

Declaring a full dodge grants +10 to defense.

Soak works the same.

Soak = 3 x STR + Armor. No more rolls to see how you take damage.

One could make it 4 instead of 3. I rounded down from a d6 average, but I guess you could also round up.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposed House Rules Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
From FFG Star Wars:
Increase difficulty of ranged attacks at point blank range by 5 for pistols and 10 for rifles [I'm not sure about this one]

As someone who has trained in martial arts, the rifle penalty makes a lot of sense, but pistols are dangerous even when grappling. As was stated elsewhere, I agree that parry should be an available defense at point blank range however. If you can get your hands on the arm controlling the gun, it's WAY less dangerous.

Alastor04 wrote:
Lightsaber Combat
First Edition rules:Sense used to deflect blaster fire, control added to damage

It always struck me as funny. My own rules let control reduce the lightsaber's combat DC, and alter to improve damage (though I use two separate force powers for this.. a generic one which adds +1 per die, and a focused one which adds alter dice to damage but is a full round action - this simulates the Quigon Jinn burning down the blast doors scene).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious: what is everyone's definition of "point blank" for purposes of this house rule?
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I played through a scenario with First Edition rules and second edition rules last night and maybe my houserules are not needed.

I did notice something and I am wondering if it was just the luck of the dice or something. Using first edition rules there were a lot of attacks and no hits. Am I doing something wrong? I'd roll for attack 5D vs stormtroopers at close range so (10+their dodge 3D)
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Just curious: what is everyone's definition of "point blank" for purposes of this house rule?

According to the rules point blank is any distance under the minimum range. Almost all blasters blasters have a minimum distance of 3 meters. There's a few that are 2 meters. One rifle is 10 meters.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Naaman wrote:

According to the rules point blank is any distance under the minimum range. Almost all blasters blasters have a minimum distance of 3 meters. There's a few that are 2 meters. One rifle is 10 meters.

I never understood with pistols (rifles for that matter too), why it is supposed to be difficult to put in so close range it is almost contact ot mere inches........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: